iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smartphone apps

Started by bkellyvtme, March 07, 2013, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

I was surprised when looking for apps to deal with timber crusing and something like what is in the tool box here on FF. It would be nice to "have and app for that" type thing. I have a range finder app on my phone and it is surprisingly accurate. Maybe someone could get one for measuring the hieght of standing logs. It can be done im sure, I'm just too computer illiterate to do it. Would you guys use one?

Offthebeatenpath

There are range finder apps out there, but nothing that I've seen relates to forestry. I would definitely use that a forestry based range finder app.  I use my GPS, level and clinometer frequently.  I prefer the real deal- I have a better GPS, real clinometer, levels, and compasses, etc. but rarely are they all sitting in one pocket when I'm in the woods.  It is possible to use the combination of the GPS and the clinometer apps to act as a range finder, but it is far from accurate.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

beenthere

Being able to pace a distance, and having a 30 deg right triangle I believe will work. Or just pace and use a stick that is calibrated to the length of the arm. Seems we made such sticks called "Biltmore" sticks in a class one time.
The Game of Logging had us making simple tools to measure the heights of trees to know what they might reach when felling them properly.
But an app on the iphone would prolly suffice too.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bkellyvtme

I just figure it would save time. As we all know time is money. ;D

OneWithWood

The most cost effective measuring device for tree height and felling is my thumb and forearm...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bkellyvtme

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 07, 2013, 11:59:17 AM
The most cost effective measuring device for tree height and felling is my thumb and forearm...

Could you send'em to me Fedex so I can use them.  :D I swear I will return'em. :D

GATreeGrower

There is a cruising app called Plot Hound.  I used to have it on my Droid

Offthebeatenpath

Ha! Love the name. My closest companion running around in the woods for the last decade was a trusty Plott Hound who just passed away... I am downloading the app now (iPhone version).  We'll see how it works out.

For the record- I love and use the tried and true methods such as arm and thumb, GOL stick method, Tim Ard's cross sight, etc.  My stance is that the newer technologies can augment and double check the older methods and it's always better to know more ways to skin a cat than less... as long as you don't forget how to use a knife.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

DaleK

Rangefinder from www.yochoi.com lets you reverse it, pace off the distance and measure the height.

I like Treebook for identifying the odd tree I don't see very often.

Some of the farm related ones can be adapted a bit for forestry, I use AgriPlot sometimes for marking out blocks within a bush, etc.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

justallan1

Well Shoot! Right when I was just about content with my old flip phone you guys post things like this! I've faught off buying one, but this may very well be the final straw. ;D
Allan

harrymontana

Quote from: Offthebeatenpath on March 07, 2013, 08:48:56 AM
There are range finder apps out there, but nothing that I've seen relates to forestry. I would definitely use that a forestry based range finder app.  I use my GPS, level and clinometer frequently.  I prefer the real deal- I have a better GPS, real clinometer, levels, and compasses, etc. but rarely are they all sitting in one pocket when I'm in the woods.  It is possible to use the combination of the GPS and the clinometer apps to act as a range finder, but it is far from accurate.

get a program called 'GPS essentials', go to google applications and download for free. It has all the features you need.
everything on hardwood

harrymontana

Quote from: DaleK on March 07, 2013, 10:57:31 PM
Rangefinder from www.yochoi.com lets you reverse it, pace off the distance and measure the height.

I like Treebook for identifying the odd tree I don't see very often.

Some of the farm related ones can be adapted a bit for forestry, I use AgriPlot sometimes for marking out blocks within a bush, etc.

is there also an english version of www.yochoi.com?
everything on hardwood

DaleK

Not sure but it's at the app store, just search for rangefinder and yochoi and you should hopefully find the app.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Northern Timber Harvesting

Another good one is "esri arc GIS" I use it for measuring acreage, and skid distances a lot. I know it's available for free for iPhones, not sure about droid.

Thank You Sponsors!