iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a virgin anymore.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 18, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Took me 2 days to saw 1495 BF of 16-20 inch Cedar logs. They came from close to Asheville, N.C.
Paneling boards, siding, post, etc. Owners going to take them to a hunt club in Mississippi.

2 logs had the old copper wire coming out of them with the old woven cloth covering the wires.
I new it was there, but I figured, what can a little copper wire do to my blade.

So what does my dumb bass do......I go from 11 o'clock on my speed knob to 1 o'clock hoping if I saw through the copper fast, it want dull the blade.

:o Whoops.....I'ver never heard a noise like that before. In the blink of an eye...one loud squeal and the motor choked down.

Short story long......after chainsawing and chipping wood.....a ceramic insulator. This was my first and I hope my last.  The End.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tee

Oh Thank Goodness!! it was only an insulator. The topic had me scared to click on it. smiley_exclamation

thecfarm

I will think of you when I saw into one.  ::) :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I would've figured this was old hat David, but must say, I have done the same exactly, it don't work ;D  trashed blades just kinda stop! and Squall,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on June 18, 2013, 09:54:15 PM
I would've figured this was old hat David, but must say, I have done the same exactly, it don't work ;D  trashed blades just kinda stop! and Squall,    david

Yep this was my first one and for those of you who have never hit one, you will think you have torn your mill all to pieces!  steve_smiley

pineywoods

You could blame it on Danny... Them sawmill grimlins been beating on his mill pretty regular. Maybe he found a way to share them with you  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

you could pull them out first :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bugdust

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 18, 2013, 09:58:06 PM
Quote from: drobertson on June 18, 2013, 09:54:15 PM

Yep this was my first one and for those of you who have never hit one, you will think you have torn your mill all to pieces!  steve_smiley

Yep, been there and done that too. Still having nightmares over the sound. Amazing, not a scratch on the insulator, but the blade received a respectable  burial.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

ladylake

Show us a pic of what's left of the blade...    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Andy White

David

Did you look around to see if anyone else was watching? I have never sawed one of those, but I know they will "take no prisoners" on blades or belts! I will store this info for future use. Thanks buddy.....             Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

slider

I will bet that band was doa.The last one I hit wrecked the band,no fixing.
al glenn

WDH

Yep, definitely gremlins.  Must have turned your back or got distracted by the heat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

Hope the customer agreed ahead of time to pay for any destroyed blades.  That's a good cautionary tale.  Our place was once part of Camp Crowder, which was used for communications training during WWII and Korea.  I hit one once in a while.  Worst was a walnut that was hollow and filled with cement years ago.  Not a clue it was there until I hit it.  Looks like you recovered some good lumber, though. Keep the bade!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

pigman

If you  hit a small insulator going slow the blade will saw right through the insulator. Then you change the blade with no teeth.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

I sawed the face off a white insulator with my Circle saw, cutting the head off the nail holding it to the tree. Took all the corners off the teeth.

Neighbor in Arkansas, years before, hooked his circle mill blade on a horse shoe or Mule shoe. Mandrel with Blade and belt pulley, left the husk, and tore up the saw shed as it headed off down through the pasture. No one was injured, but, no one knows why.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on June 19, 2013, 05:57:53 AM

Show us a pic of what's left of the blade...    Steve
I shipped the blade back today for replacement. All the teeth weren't just. Just about 6 teeth were stripped. The engine stalled F A S T !

Thank You Sponsors!