iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440 skidder problem

Started by sshier, October 23, 2013, 02:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshier

Hello i could really use some help. My 440 has destroyed an outer axle bearing on the left rear side. Wondering if anyone could explain how to change. Looks like i need to drop axle and seperate axle housing from diff but i would like to get some more info before i tear into it anything would help.

snowstorm

a  b  or c?  drop the belly pan unhook the drive shaft. the clamps or whatever you want to call then. lift the rear of the skidder up and roll the whole rear end out. take that tire off and stand it up resting on the other tire. there are bolts holding the axle housing on. take those out and lift. hopefully it didnt hurt the housing. the outer bearing needs to be greased until grease comes out around the seal. but also pack the new bearing in grease lots of it   

sshier

Pulled whole axle and took it to my shop should i change both sides while its off or just try and inspect it thanks for the reply

sshier

Also the grease zerks on the axles we broke off so ive no idea when the last time any had grease opp side of bearing that grenaded took 1 1/2 tubes. Whats you opinion to pulling other side . This skidder is new to us

sshier

Pretty sure its a B tag says 440 ba so im not positive

snowstorm

it wouldnt be a bad idea to do the other side also. it will never be any easier than it is now. the  b  had different wheels and wheel hub. also the blade was a little different and a turbo on the motor. the  a  had the big cast wheel hub held on with a cap with 2 bolts along with some jb weld. not kidding on the jb weld 

Thank You Sponsors!