iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 170 manuals

Started by Southside, November 25, 2013, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Hello

Anybody have and want to sell, or know where I can find the owners and shop manuals for a 1992 vintage Franklin grapple skidder?  I tried Manuals.us but they did not have anything for Franklin.  I am getting the impression these manuals are rare as hens teeth.

Thanks
Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

smwwoody

Jim,

You are right.  They are real tough to find.  Franklin only printed them when someone ordered one.  Some times you can find a parts manual  but that is only very poor exploded views and part numbers.  I have a parts manual for the late 80s 170s.  we are close enough that anytime you want to barrow it you can.  it covers some of what is in our model machines.  what is the serial number on your machine?  Keith at Forestry and Construction   http://forestryconstruction.com/  can be your friend when you are looking for info or parts on these machines.  since these machines were built locally there were a lot of them run around here.  A lot of the mechanics that worked at the dealerships and at the factory still work in the forest industry in this area.  Most of them are willing to help keep these old girls running.

There is also a group of people in this area that are still running them that help support each other.  I can point you in the right direction to get questions answered.

Woody

PS remember call me any time
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Southside

Thanks Woody,  I was able to order an owners manual from Baker and Sons out in OH, the machine was a sticker on the machine from them so it was there at one point.  They were going to look up what they had on the machine as well so maybe I can get some history on it. 

Jim
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

smwwoody

That is great.  I would love to get a look at that some time.

One thing to remember with a franklin.  Keep them tranny filters changed.  the manual will tell you to change them every 150 hrs.  DO IT.  they can be expensive $70 to $125 each depending where you get them.  they are much cheeper than a tranny.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Southside

Thanks for the advice.  I will make a copy of the manual for you when I get it.  Would those be one of the ones inside of the side engine cover or do I get to them from underneath?

Jim
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

smwwoody

yes they are the 2 inside the right engine cover
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC