iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wheel tracks

Started by coxy, August 17, 2018, 09:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

for skidder has anyone run them is the price justifiable compared to tire chains  how are the to keep tight  I asked a few people about them at the show today and they wasn't sure if they made them for a 24.5 tire  

Skeans1

Quote from: coxy on August 17, 2018, 09:21:45 PM
for skidder has anyone run them is the price justifiable compared to tire chains  how are the to keep tight  I asked a few people about them at the show today and they wasn't sure if they made them for a 24.5 tire  
They should make them for that size since some of the smaller harvesters had that size on the rear. Tightening them is done with what looks like a ratcheting chain binder, your traction is better as well as your wear on the tire will be less. 

Riwaka

I only know from a few years  back when the swedish made tracks had their links wearing, so clark in scotland made a replacement link for the swedish tracks. Clark make their own tracks?

Welcome | Clark Tracks
http://www.west-trak.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Forestry-Tyre-Tracks-user-guide-low-res-2.pdf

A bit of a user guide - tire shape, tire pressures, some track designs cannot be used in some conditions, hydraulic tensioners, 24.5 tires etc

Startpage | Eco-Tracks
(probably lifted their game with competition)

barbender

We use to have a skidder with a set on it. I never ran it, but guys that did said it rode rough and had almost too much traction, if you can believe it😁 They said if the skid snagged a stump, instead of spinning the nose would just go straight up in the air. All of our skidders just have chains now...
Too many irons in the fire

quilbilly

A local logger has a 525 with a set and he loves em. Says they're better than chains, great grip and don't tear up the ground.
a man is strongest on his knees

coxy

thanks for the info guys 

pinger316

Olofsfors (eco-track) I know makes a wheel track for that tire.  CJ's Logging is a dealer for them.  Wouldn't hurt giving those guys a shout.

mstahl

Anybody know where to buy tire tracks, ie Clark's, Olofsfors, on the US or Canadian west coast? I have a set on our JD1270 harvester and I am looking for tracks to replace chains on our skidders.

Riwaka

Olofors have been  direct sales. You would need to send pictures of the terrain/ slope readings, soil measurements through the year, weather temperatures etc to get the track that is a good match. Usually some compromises or take the tracks off in the dry times etc.  

Olofors Brantford Canada (also Tigercat's home)

The group | Olofsfors

Wallingfords Maine

North America - Wallingfords inc | Clark Tracks

Skeans1

Quote from: mstahl on March 18, 2019, 01:38:48 AM
Anybody know where to buy tire tracks, ie Clark's, Olofsfors, on the US or Canadian west coast? I have a set on our JD1270 harvester and I am looking for tracks to replace chains on our skidders.

Another option is Pewag they do chains as well as tracks.

Riwaka

JDMoore

Hi There,

My name is J.D. Moore I work for Olofsfors Inc.

I would be happy to help answer and questions regarding wheel tracks you may have. 

Mike_M

We run a set of eco-tracks on the front tires of our Timber Jack 360 grapple skidder. I think they are a little more difficult to put on than chains, but they stay tight, don't walk off the tire, and give really good traction. As well as help with the wear of the tires. They do rob a bit of the engine HP, but the trade off is well worth it. 

Thank You Sponsors!