iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder chains

Started by oscar4749, February 09, 2014, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar4749

I need a little info, I have a small farm tractor that I need to put chains on.
I have a set of studded chains. I can cut the length with no problem.
what I need to know is the width any problem. they come down about to the rim.
will it cause any trouble, if I can just tighten side chains
thank you for any info.   I do read here a lot but don't say much.
If we won't have all this snow and ice I won't need them, but it will help pulling logs
from the woods as I only have r4on but loaded
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

beenthere

I have ladder chains that I made for my R-4 tires and was pressed for room between fender and tire, so made them to ride high (shorter cross chains and longer side chains).

Yours should work coming down to the rim, at least worth a try.

R-4's are not good in snow and chains are necessary if going in the woods. Still a battle getting around, and I also put chains on the front tires of my 4wd tractor. How much snow depth do you have in the woods?
What is your small farm tractor?
Found a pic..

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I don't like the r4 at all. I had the AG,the deep cleats on another tractor. A BIG diffeance. If buying new don't get the r4. If you get the r4,get chains. My other tractor got around so much better with the AG tires. Both in the summer and winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

I think it would be fine if the sidechain is down to the rim I suppose you would get good sidewall protection that way as well
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

oscar4749

beenthere, There is 6to8 in. of snow but that's not the problem because it is steep
where I have the logs
thecfarm, I know what you are talking about being born and raised on farm.
I got R4's so I wouldn't tear-up the yard so much.
Maine logger88,I'm with you as long as I can get side chains tight
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

dsgsr

Shouldn't have a problem if you run holding chains through the rim. Decide what size chain you want too use (3/8, 1/2") I use 3/8. Go to your local Fire Department and ask if they have any old 2" canvas  hose. Cut your holding chains just long enough to go from one side chain to the other through the rim (between the rim and dish) make two for each wheel. Cut the hose length just shy of the chain length, run the chain through the hose. Use clevises to hook the chain. Place holding chains opposite from one an other on the wheel. This hole thing keeps the chains from walking off and damaging the rim.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Thank You Sponsors!