iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skunk...this could get interesting

Started by blackfoot griz, March 23, 2014, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I think Lowe's sells some product that will drive them away. It is near where the mouse traps are.

Alcranb. I can just see your mother on a cain sneaking up to get a blanket over them. Bless her heart.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

blackfoot griz

GOT IT!

Checked this a.m. before leaving for work...no skunk. I travel around Western Montana for my job and there are a lot of dead cell zones.

My wife had the day off.  Eventually (when I got onto a cell reception area) she informed me that there was a "friend waiting for me to be dispatched".

The bugger got a hold of the 40-50 ft rope attached to the trap and had it neatly curled up inside the trap.  This stinker had already let loose--for the very last time.

Alcranb-I was thinking of your mother when the "dispatching" was done. Thank you for sharing that story.  Sounds like an incredible lady!

jargo432

Ok it's time for the skunk story.  I promise it's all true!

I had an animal going under my house so I put a leg trap by the hole.  2 days and nothing, then one morning I sit down to do my business in the bathroom and I hear a chain rattle and I think ok here we go.  First off I made the mistake of tying off too much chain and what ever was in the trap had went under the house.  Side note... I live in the country so I had went out wearing a Tshirt, underwear and had put on my black rubber boots..

So like an idiot I untie the chain from the TV pole and pull out whatever was on the trap.  Truth is, I never dreamed it was a skunk since I had never smelled anything.  when I pulled him out I realized my problem, I couldn't let go or he would just go back under so what to do?  I took off running with skunk in tow around the front of the house and down the road and wouldn't ya know it here comes a car.  (picture a guy in his underwear, tshirt, and black boots running down the side of the road pulling a skunk in a leg trap)  I'm suprised he didn't wreck from laughing so hard. 

5 years pass and I'm at an oilfield lease and I'm telling that very story to a pumper and the guy goes pale.  Turns out he lived down the road from me and he was the guy that was driving the car and he'd been telling the same story as me for years, just on the other end of it.  We both laughed till we cried.

It really is a small world

Jack of all trades.

Alcranb

Way to go Blackfoot   smiley_clapping
Did you try to give him swimming lessons? Lol
Thanks, my Mom is one of a kind. Beat thyroid cancer several years ago, double mastectomy 5 yrs. ago and still keeps on ticking like the Ever Ready Bunny. Today she was out pruning her blueberries, 2 acres worth!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

thecfarm

jargo432,that is funny. But what happened to the skunk?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

My Dad once whacked a skunk with his walking stick........once.   :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

My younger brother was once told by his FIL that a skunk cannot spray if you pick it up by the tail, regardless of their size.  ;D

My younger brother quit believing everything his FIL told him!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gfadvm

Jargo, That was too funny! Now I'll tell mine: I was just about to get in the shower one morning when I saw a coyote out the back window. I grabbed the .223 and did the commando crawl out the back door and across the deck and shot him. My neighbor's wife witnessed the whole thing and has told EVERYONE about it.

blackfoot griz

Way to go Blackfoot   smiley_clapping
Did you try to give him swimming lessons? Lol
Thanks, my Mom is one of a kind. Beat thyroid cancer several years ago, double mastectomy 5 yrs. ago and still keeps on ticking like the Ever Ready Bunny. Today she was out pruning her blueberries, 2 acres worth!
[/quote]

No swimming lessons.  .22 to the noggin. She had already sprayed so a swim would have been after the fact.  Besides, anybody could still walk on my pond (ice) and the creek is 1/2 mile away. Plus, the DanG skunk pulled in all 40-50 ft or the rope I had attached to the trap and had it coiled up inside.   It is tripled bagged and going for a final dumpster dive tonight!

Quote from: gfadvm on March 26, 2014, 09:24:22 PM
Jargo, That was too funny! Now I'll tell mine: I was just about to get in the shower one morning when I saw a coyote out the back window. I grabbed the .223 and did the commando crawl out the back door and across the deck and shot him. My neighbor's wife witnessed the whole thing and has told EVERYONE about it.

How could they NOT tell! That is funny

Alcranb

Mom used to pepper them too but went the swimming route after she started breaking wires with pass through shots.
Btw.... Happy Birthday Blackfoot!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

jargo432

Quote from: thecfarm on March 26, 2014, 08:41:59 AM
jargo432,that is funny. But what happened to the skunk?

I let go of the chain and ran back to the house, got my grandad's side by side, went back out and put him to rest.
Jack of all trades.

stamper

catch and put a dog shock collar with GPS on it, sit home and track him, when he gets to your favorite neighors porch...BOOM! ha ha
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

whitepine2

It's true if you pick them up by the tail but you gotta keep their back feet off the ground. I would not do this today because of rabies.
As a police officer we shot 100's of them as well as racoons.foxes etc.
as we had a lot of rabies around here about 15-20 years ago it was so bad we stopped testing you could just tell they were sick.

Whitepine2

Chuck White

Quote from: whitepine2 on March 29, 2014, 10:29:57 PM
It's true if you pick them up by the tail but you gotta keep their back feet off the ground. I would not do this today because of rabies.
As a police officer we shot 100's of them as well as racoons.foxes etc.
as we had a lot of rabies around here about 15-20 years ago it was so bad we stopped testing you could just tell they were sick.

Whitepine2

It's true as long as the skunk is dead when you pick it up!  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!