The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood logs - What to do with them?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline glassman_48

• Share Post
Re: Firewood logs - What to do with them?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »
I reread his post if the logs are 10 to 12 feet long probably 2 to 3 pulp cords by the looks of the picture.  Dont know if those smaller logs are worth hauling a sawmill over to mill.  Hopefully my sawmill friend can help him. 

Offline 101mph

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
Too far away for me.  Northern Lower Michigan's a big place  ;D

Just to follow up....Seems like I heard this a lot this past weekend. A bit disheartening. :-\

I made several calls to a few sawmill guys and "timber buyers" and all seem to say that this amount of logs is not worth their time and money (fuel, trucking etc...). Had one guy come out and look at the logs (said it was nice wood and about 6 cords or so) but didn't have anyone in the area yet to come pick them up. He said would contact a couple guys to see if they're interested in buying the logs.

I'm really just interested in selling the wood to someone like a sawmill who can just take the logs as is. I have a lot of wood stacked and will be cutting down more trees in the near future so I will have even more wood then.

Hope to hear some good news soon.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27:19 AM »
Good lesson here, that just putting up a pile of logs for sale won't may not get a quick buyer.
Likely the loading and trucking expense, along with little market demand for just logs, is the stopper.

But maybe not give up too soon. Wish you luck finding a market.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
I see several issues with this pile of wood for commercial sale.  The sticks are cut random lengths and mixed together.  There are only a few sticks that would make saw material and most of them would be 100" flooring bolts, yes there are a couple sticks that may make grade if they were cut 124-126" but not enough to make it worthwhile to send a truck even if everything with a minimum 8" top and bigger were all cut 100".  Mills don't deal with firewood.  If they do it's sorted at the job and trucked from there.  All the wood doesn't go back to the mill for sorting.  Truck drivers do not like to sort anything.  This pile has the most value as firewood but it would need to be bucked to a consistent 100" length and there needs to be more of it.  Ten pulp cords is usually the minimum for pickup and the driver isn't going to sort or buck it to length.  Your best bet is an ad on Craigs List but I'd be leary of having anyone cut it into firewood on my property without a certificate of insurance covering them for such an operation.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline 101mph

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
I see several issues with this pile of wood for commercial sale.  The sticks are cut random lengths and mixed together.  There are only a few sticks that would make saw material and most of them would be 100" flooring bolts, yes there are a couple sticks that may make grade if they were cut 124-126" but not enough to make it worthwhile to send a truck even if everything with a minimum 8" top and bigger were all cut 100".  Mills don't deal with firewood.  If they do it's sorted at the job and trucked from there.  All the wood doesn't go back to the mill for sorting.  Truck drivers do not like to sort anything.  This pile has the most value as firewood but it would need to be bucked to a consistent 100" length and there needs to be more of it.  Ten pulp cords is usually the minimum for pickup and the driver isn't going to sort or buck it to length.  Your best bet is an ad on Craigs List but I'd be leary of having anyone cut it into firewood on my property without a certificate of insurance covering them for such an operation.   

Everything you said is pretty much spot on. I could cut it to the lengths they want, but even then it's too small of a load for them to consider.

You're also right about having strangers on my property sawing up the wood.... I see nothing good coming from that.

Being new to the game I learned something from all of this.

So I think I will just be letting some of the neighbors have the wood, bring some home, and have some really BIG camp fires for the next 10 years or so. :D

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
 smiley_thumbsup

Offline glassman_48

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
101mph
Talked to another friend today and he gave me some more sawmill owner leads.  If the leads pan out I will let you know. 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
Sugar maple logs stain rapidly this time of year.  These have been down a week now.  Time is short for anything other than firewood or pallet stock and after the warmest temps of the season last week and today's rain it may well be too late.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
8 ft logs vs vs split logs for seasoning firewood

Started by Christopher7789 on Drying and Processing

18 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 10:45:58 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Firewood Logs

Started by ahlkey on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 08:40:18 AM
by ahlkey