The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: smartphone?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
    • Share Post
Re: smartphone?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
My wife convinced me to get a smart phone.  I hate it! I am not one to be on the phone unless its to make or receive a call.  I have texting shut off, not a fan. The.  phone is a Casio commando I believe.  Supposed to ne waterproof, dust proof, etc.  Has held up in that aspect.  Seems to get good reception.  Just prefer a no frills phone. If I wasn't married I would not have a cell phone.
X2
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Offline CTL logger

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
1270d,  do you find, like me, that most online reviews are not written with loggers in mind?  :) The most important things to me when I was phone shopping were battery life, signal, and how well it worked with bluetooth. I was really considering an IPhone for that reason (Siri). I ended up with the  Samsung S5, the signal is decent, the battery life is good. The voice commands work good if I use the Google feature, not the Samsung. It's a bit quirky, if the home screen is on with the Google widget,  I tap my headset, say, for instance, " call Andy mobile" and it repeats the command. If the screen is off, it goes through a frustrating series of command requests like "say who you want to call" Call Andy mobile "did you say call Andy?" Yes "Which location? Say select 1 for mobile and select 2 for home" select 1"did you say select 1?" Yes "calling Andy mobile" >:( If I have to go through all of that I don't have time left to talk to Andy ::) Other than that quirk, I like it.
yes, not a lot of reviews by loggers out there.  thats why I post here. 

Probably going to start using bluetooth again, not sure which kind.  It is a very helpful thing to have hands free to test things and operate when you're on the phone with deere service or some such.  Or truckers, or anyone for that matter. Also use the GPS with sat photos all the time to track where I am in a cut block and help make skid trails etc most efficient.  saves a lot of leg work.  email can be real handy to have in your pocket when dealers can send instructions or manual pdf's to help get repair work done.  Love the smartphone

I m thinking to follow what clearcut said and wait till the next iphone comes out to see what happens with other phone prices.
1270D I use a Blue Parrott Bluetooth headset the battery lasts all week and it cuts out almost all background noise. The earpiece is like an old Walkman headphone the volume is loud enough to hear in most situations.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »
I use a Blue Parrott headset too, people couldn't understand me when I tried other headsets. This one really cancels out background noise, and the battery life is great. The only downside is it is big and bulky, and it makes you look like you work in a drive through ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
My headset is a jabra wave.    It works fine.   

I stopped at the Verizon store a week or so ago and shopped a bit.  Decided to wait for the iPhone to see if prices come down.   The rep there said that the droid maxx is the best bet for reception in poor service areas.   

Offline nhlogga

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
 I got a Droid Razr Mini. Smart phones come in awful handy if ya take the time to figure them out. I have been on Deere parts catalogs to get the right part # so the parts guy doesn't send the wrong one.....gps (could be lost without it) lol........use the camera to take pics of wiring in case ya forget how it goes.......just a few of the advantages......Always get a protective case of somesort.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Smartphone apps

Started by bkellyvtme on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 09:28:19 AM
by Northern Timber Harvesting
xx
Smartphone & Fat Fingers

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2016, 12:26:28 PM
by sawguy21