iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying or making a log loader trailer with grapple boom

Started by bhraymer, August 15, 2014, 11:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhraymer

I've researched Wallenstein and Baileys log loader trailers extensively as they seem to be the most readily available units, but I don't think I can swing an $18k-$22k investment. I'd prefer to buy a 16' 14k GVWR flatbed deckover trailer and mount a crane/grapple boom to it....has anyone done this application before or have the expertise to advise on how it can be done? Any recommendations for buying just the boom/crane as far as brands and costs?

Concerns of course are stability of the trailer during loading...required outriggers/stabilizers to keep the trailer from twisting/tipping?

Any help here would be very much appreciated..thanks!

beenthere

bh
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Poke around the forum a bit, as there have been some similar fabrications to what you have in mind. Maybe someone can remember specific threads to point them out.

The search engine can be of help too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MJD

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

thecfarm

bhraymer,welcome to the forum. A member took a grapple and put it on the front of the trailer. Seem like that was a fifth wheel trailer too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sshier

This was our patu it was really nice to be able to stack wood neatly went from dump trailer to this and it was huge improvement. Only thing to keep in mind is its really easy to over load that's when things get hairy. I thought about building one and it wasn't that much more cost effective than buying used

I hauled the trailer with a single axle international 4400 that I put bunks on 4 fed cord on truck and 3 on the trailer ended up selling the pair wish I could find a picture of the pair good luck on the build.

thecfarm

Heres the one I was thinking of,probably not much help.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75895.msg1151613.html#msg1151613

For the search here,go to the top,put in grapple trailer,change "this topic" to "this board",which is foresty and logging and this will bring you a bunch of pages to look through. I think there was 7 pages.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello bhraymer, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I too an toying with that idea for my future Pine thinning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

Yes, outriggers are required. It will tip over without them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

YellowHammer

I used an extendable boom service crane and mounted it to the front of my 14K dump trailer.  The crane could dead lift 3,600 lbs, give or take.  Since the crane has a winch, it allowed me to cable out out a long way and drag logs to the trailer, instead of having to reposition.  I have since sold the rig, but it sure worked great.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Wallys World

Well, a week and a half ago I (we, the wife) bit the bullet and ordered a Wallenstein LT30HA/LX95 trailer loader combo. I got the highway kit and hydraulic sliding tandem. I have been looking for several years and finally am in the place where I can do it, plus I am not getting any younger and the body just isn't what it used to be. I also thought about building one but after all the costs and TIME (that dirty four letter word!) it was easier to buy. It might be in this coming week, and I have logs ready to move. It is small enough to get thru my woods roads with any trouble. I skid to the roads and will use the trailer to move them to the mill or firewood pile. It will also be used for my church's firewood ministry hauling gathered logs to the woodlot. Once I get it I'll post pictures and comments.

Stock photo
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

thecfarm

You better post picture!!! What are you pulling that with in the woods?

ahlkey

I have both a trailer for off-road and another custom made one for over the highway.  The large GN custom made one cost me about 50% less than buying so your idea can be done.  However, using a flatbed trailer in the woods may be problematic. The off-road model I have is narrow with a swivel hitch and articulated wheels.  Most flatbed trailers were designed for highway use for a reason. Good luck to you. 

Wallys World

cfarm - most of my woods roads my trucks fit down them. I'll most likely use the Chevy because it is shorter. The bx should pull it as long as I don't get crazy loading it. It comes with surge brakes so stopping shouldn't be a problem. It weighs in st about 1500 with power pack and loader. As for the road either truck will be fine, it will be less weight than the dump trailer. I will also be parking it arms reach from the mill to load the mill. That should make mill a little easier.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

sawmillhand

ahlkey 

you have any pictures with the road trailer empty  also where you get your loader from that looks like a great setup i am really interested.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Southside

Ahlkey. I would also like to know more about your trailer. I have been talking with a welding shop about building one. Thanks
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ahlkey

The loader is a Metavic 1400 model that I bought used off a flatbed truck and repaired.  I mounted it on this 20ft trailer that was built to my specifications. 

sawmillhand

Ahlkey

you think i could see a picture of how you mounted it i am really in the market for one and i really like your design alot

Ohio_Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ahlkey

Attached is a picture of the cross beams where I mounted a 3/4" steel plate and a better picture of the loader upfront.

Hope this helps.   

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sawmillhand

Southside

Redprospector,

That is a really nice job you did there.  How has the trailer held up to the added stress of the loader?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redprospector

Quote from: Southside logger on August 19, 2014, 09:26:35 AM
Redprospector,

That is a really nice job you did there.  How has the trailer held up to the added stress of the loader?
So far it has held up really well. You have to fasten it to the neck real good, and don't jam, and cram it around a lot. If you remember that it's a small loader, on a small trailer it does fine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!