iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Things have to crash . It's the only way we MIGHT be able to last .  Inflation is crazy right now and alot of people are not thinking or do not know how to think but we are going backwards hard and fast up here. There is no way things can keep going at this rate . Soon we're going to have to take a wheelbarrow full of cash  just to buy a loaf of bread and do not laugh its coming .  Alot of people just think we'll they raised the min. Wage up to $15 a hour but what they do not think about is everything else has gone up alot more than that so your buying power of your 15 bucks is alot less that your old wage ofc12 buck a hour when everything else cost less.  The only person that gains of this is the govt cause they get alot more tax dollars in either income tax and tax off what you buy

SwampDonkey

A little humour from TV of the past

Maj Burns: Here are the new efficiency orders, see that they are posted.

Radar: [after reading the orders] They're not going to like this.

Maj Burns: I didn't come here to me liked.

Radar: They sure came to the right place.

:D :D :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skeans1

Who needs wedges anyways roots work better anyways.

mike_belben

nice swing. 

did it slide off the stump or was the ramp just to lengthen up the tab fiber so it could flex and hold longer?  im thinking the 2nd part.
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Quote from: mike_belben on December 01, 2021, 05:08:37 AM
So long as the check shows up I agree.  I regret not scaling it doyle so that i could try comparing that to the $450-550/mbf that various ties are bringing.  Its possible a small tie could do better as pallet by the ton right now since weighing buys the over run and waste that doyle scale doesnt but im not sure.    

25ton legal semi load would be$1500. i think you can get 4mbf of tie logs on a daycab right?  Thatd be $1800 in red oak single tie.  I will have to remember to weigh some ugly ties.  

Good news is pallet has lots of length options using 44" or 51" multiples however there whole log and the whole load has to be one or the other (or 2 bunks sorted by 44s and 51s)  mixed load drops to $37/t.  No sorting fee with a pile of ties.
Tie sized logs you do well to get 3200 Dolyle on 25 tons if its much oak/hickory.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Oil has gone from $82+ per barrel to 66 in a week.  That's going to show up at the pumps soon.  Jet fuel is going to be hard to move, lots of travel restrictions.  That will help reduce the hurt on the pocket books, just in time for Christmas and winter.  Now OPEC is saying they'll be 2-3 million barrel surplus over the winter months.  Hopefully that helps some poor folks out on the heating oil bills.  The frackers have finally gotten their financing back on track and are going to drill like crazy next year, who knows what happens but I think we've seen the high point of fuel for the next year.  I'll be looking to stock up on diesel this winter as this works through the refineries.  

@skeans1 that is neat, are they too big for the harvester?  Just stumps is hard too judge though I can see the saw on the one tree.
Liking Walnut

Gearbox

I just talked to the local parts house and 134a is up 200 % if you may need some grab it now before the price increase . our goverment put a cap on the amount that can be produced per year .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 01, 2021, 04:19:51 PM
nice swing.

did it slide off the stump or was the ramp just to lengthen up the tab fiber so it could flex and hold longer?  im thinking the 2nd part.
It was the latter, I used a siz wheel on both of those trees to bring the bellies of those trees around so they wouldn't be blown out.

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on December 01, 2021, 07:04:25 PM
Oil has gone from $82+ per barrel to 66 in a week.  That's going to show up at the pumps soon.  Jet fuel is going to be hard to move, lots of travel restrictions.  That will help reduce the hurt on the pocket books, just in time for Christmas and winter.  Now OPEC is saying they'll be 2-3 million barrel surplus over the winter months.  Hopefully that helps some poor folks out on the heating oil bills.  The frackers have finally gotten their financing back on track and are going to drill like crazy next year, who knows what happens but I think we've seen the high point of fuel for the next year.  I'll be looking to stock up on diesel this winter as this works through the refineries.  

@skeans1 that is neat, are they too big for the harvester?  Just stumps is hard too judge though I can see the saw on the one tree.
Oh yeah way too big on the stump especially with the flare some of these have. In the flare some of them are 4' but around chest height you're in the 32" range or so, you'd be pushing it with just about any head this stuff has some weight in it.

nativewolf

@Skeans1 Do you delimb and buck those with the harvester?  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

@nativewolf 
No I've been processing them by hand they're big enough and long enough they're not fun to tree length yard. Normally after the break and a couple of logs off they're in the processor size, but you do miss stuff being in a cab vs on the ground.

g_man

I like to pull out firewood this time of year.

gg

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on December 02, 2021, 09:17:32 AM
I like to pull out firewood this time of year.

gg
The main access trail leading form the house out to the rest of my property is still too wet & mushy to drive on without tearing it up. Improving that will be a project for next summer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Nice hitch of wood there.
I am clearing for more of a view of the field on the way up the road. Wood has to be brought across the dirt road, which was froze. I was laying down 3 pieces of wood about 4 inches across to run the wood across the road before it was froze. Saves on gravel on the wood and keeps from tearing the road up. But the field is soft. I had to go up high to get away from the run off of the water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Road up to the woodlot here is pretty solid now. Several loads of corn on long bodies came down there yesterday and into the night. The blue jays, coons and squirrels are quickly gathering the spilled corn. :D Those blue jays are something, they can spot an opportunity 10 miles away. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ehp

Most of our snow is gone now . Rained most of the night and it about 55F here right now so it's a big huge mess . Ground is soft and the frost is coming back out and water everywhere 

nativewolf

So we are working our way through this walnut, had a tree go bad yesterday.  just nudging with the forwarder boom, it slips, rips hoses, tree falls...not the right way.  Oh well.  

The only saving grace has been the dry weather, maybe an inch in the last month.  Dust on the landing, we know we are fortunate and hate to hear people just working through mud.  
Liking Walnut

barbender

Probably the best way (IMO) to nudge with the boom is with the extension fully retracted, then get the boom tip right on the tree and push with a combination of the lift and jib cylinders. Don't use the extension, you can bend your extension cylinder. And don't push with the drive power of the machine on the crane. Also bend stuff. Sometimes I'll give things a bump with the back bunk, too. 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Quote from: barbender on December 02, 2021, 09:44:50 PMSometimes I'll give things a bump with the back bunk, too.

Do you mean like trucks cabs and such? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chep

cutting pine for my buddy.  Some it has been cut with harvester. Some im ahead of the harvester. All cut to 12 ft and 16ft. A couple odd balls. Some crooked trees thats hard to make good 12s. Mills are hungry. Been a wet year

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on December 02, 2021, 07:43:35 PM
So we are working our way through this walnut, had a tree go bad yesterday.  just nudging with the forwarder boom, it slips, rips hoses, tree falls...not the right way.  Oh well.  

The only saving grace has been the dry weather, maybe an inch in the last month.  Dust on the landing, we know we are fortunate and hate to hear people just working through mud.  
Sounds like jacks would be cheaper then a new boom or cab and or both in the near future. Remember those booms on those machines aren't really made for much they can't even pickup a log trailer out here it's either a rocking setup or a hop up and both are the limit for it. This isn't a shovel you will bend something if you're lucky at worst you'll get squashed they were never meant to do that.

barbender

Skeans is right, these Euro forwarder booms aren't very heavy. I don't try to push anything really heavy or leaning hard. Just ones that need a touch of persuasion. Like trucks, Southside!😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Nice pine @chep , hope they bring good money. 8) Irving doesn't pay much up here, they'd have to be more perfect than possible in nature. :D

The snow is pretty much gone here to @ehp with a hard rain all night, can only see white where the snow scoop piled it up.

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on December 03, 2021, 12:07:07 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on December 02, 2021, 07:43:35 PM
So we are working our way through this walnut, had a tree go bad yesterday.  just nudging with the forwarder boom, it slips, rips hoses, tree falls...not the right way.  Oh well.  

The only saving grace has been the dry weather, maybe an inch in the last month.  Dust on the landing, we know we are fortunate and hate to hear people just working through mud.  
Sounds like jacks would be cheaper then a new boom or cab and or both in the near future. Remember those booms on those machines aren't really made for much they can't even pickup a log trailer out here it's either a rocking setup or a hop up and both are the limit for it. This isn't a shovel you will bend something if you're lucky at worst you'll get squashed they were never meant to do that.
Just silly mistake really, grapple wasn't set, son and I weren't doing best job communicating.  Grapple slips and hoses go; wasn't a big push or anything.  If we'd walked back down off the hill to the truck and brought up a couple more wedges it wouldn't have been an issue wedging.  The day had been tough on wedges  :D.  Pounded one into a rock that was inside the walnut stump, another met a chainsaw it really liked, another got lost in some leaf/sawdust litter...sigh.  
Got it all fixed yesterday AM, we were cutting before lunch and got a couple of forwarder loads out for the buyer.  If I can get a tractor trailer of walnut out a day that's ok, this is all very small stuff with the exception of the fence row trees.  Lots of culling and fiddly TSI type stuff.  The nectria canker is just terrible in here.  Just terrible.  We are trading those logs with a table maker for good logs he collects from tree service folks.  The infected logs make great slabs and the boring straight logs are worth more to us.  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!