iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree farmer 1972

Started by crazy4saws, August 13, 2015, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy4saws

Hey everyone, not new to forum but very green when it comes to things other than chainsaws. I read a lot of the posts kn here about the different skidder you all have and repair your doing. Well now the time might be here for me to aquire one.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1972 tree farmer with engine stuck and has been sitting for years. I'm still trying to get the model number from the seller but she says it's a 353 Detroit in it that's all I know. I feel for the price that I can't go wrong. I would like to fix it up and start doing some small side work as my "real job" permits. I realize it's gonna be slot of work but I'm willing to put forth the effort.

What do you tree farmer expects think? I'll try and post some pictures of it by the end of the day.

Thanks guys!

treeslayer2003

shes worth about scrap price

crazy4saws

Here are the pictures I have so far

crazy4saws

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on August 13, 2015, 01:59:14 PM
shes worth about scrap price

Tree slayer, not a fan of the tree farmer? Just curious as to why you feel its worth scrap. Like I said im new to purchasing used heavy equipment like this.

Thanks for your input

treeslayer2003

those old tractors just aren't worth much. wich is good for you if you want it. its probably worth 1500 or so in scrap, and i wouldn't want alot more than that in it as it sits. you know the engine is bad, and there fore you can't tell about the trans or winch.
tires look ok although i can't seem to make your pics bigger.

if you know this tractor and know the trans and winch are good, thats different. but not more than 1000 different.

crazy4saws

Thanks treeslayer, I appreciate the input. Around 1K is what I'm planning on paying. Plus the cost of a friend driving his rig down there. Are parts hard to get for free farmers?

I definitely expect to do a lot of work on this thing to get it operational,

treeslayer2003

Quote from: crazy4saws on August 13, 2015, 05:17:43 PM
Thanks treeslayer, I appreciate the input. Around 1K is what I'm planning on paying. Plus the cost of a friend driving his rig down there. Are parts hard to get for free farmers?

I definitely expect to do a lot of work on this thing to get it operational,
engine parts, find a detroit parts distributor and you will in the end need a detroit guy to set the rack and governor. i'm not that familiar with tree farmer as far as the trans and winch but prolly just like older timber jacks and or franklins.

larry1

I just bought a 230 tj  similar condition as yours . Yes it's a "pig in a poke" but there a lot of Guys on this forum who can help you along . My 3-53 was seized and I got her running perfect yesterday , today I got all the hyd...and winch working --maybe  I just got lucky on this one . Don't be afraid to tackle this project   its only BLOOD, SWET AND GEARS  L.O.L.

loggah

The older tree farmers had a Cotta transfer case,parts are kinda hard to find for them,the tires alone are worth quite a bit more then $1000 !!!! fix her up. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

I agree with loggah, 1k is a real good price. You can afford to get it going again, and when you do you will be very happy!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HiTech

Couldn't really see what she looks like. Couldn't get the pics any bigger. I would say fix her up. Parts aren't that hard to find. After Market is making a lot of them now. It would make a nice project and it would pull some wood when finished. If those tries are forestry tires they are worth way more than you are paying.

ga jones

Hey now I own the exact same machine. Pulled a hell of a lot of wood with it. Simple to work on light weight doesn't rut. Easy to move. I rebuilt every inch of of the machine. Parts are easy.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

crazy4saws

Quote from: ga jones on August 15, 2015, 06:04:06 PM
Hey now I own the exact same machine. Pulled a hell of a lot of wood with it. Simple to work on light weight doesn't rut. Easy to move. I rebuilt every inch of of the machine. Parts are easy.

GA Jones, you said you had the exact machine. If the tires were not filled how much would the skidder weigh? Just an estimate will do. And is your more than 8.5 feet wide? I know that the width will vary depending on the tire.

I'm still wanting to buy it however getting a decent rate on freight seems to be my issue now.

Thanks guys for the support! Really appreciate it

ga jones

About 9000' and 103 wide
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

crazy4saws

Hey GA Jones, thanks for helping me out with the width and weight on that tree farmer. Do you happen to know the approximate heigth? Next week I plan on going down to Kentucky visually looking it over before saying yes.

My buddy with the low boy trailer feel thru so getting this thing freighted up here is gonna cost more than I would like but still for the price I don't think it's a bad deal.

Being that the engine is none running, what would you guys be looking for on something like this.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions on such an old peice of equipment but I figure there's a lot of knowledge.

I'll post better pics when I get the chance.

Thanks again

treeslayer2003

what do you mean? as far as whats wrong with the engine? could be any thing from busted block to just a stuck injector........no telling really.

crazy4saws

Hey treeslayer, they said the engine was locked up. I'm new to diesels so at this point when I get it home I'll look more into the engine.

I guess I will just be doing a visual inspection over everything. Hopefully the muffler isn't full of water. I'm not gonna open anything up when I go to look at it. I mainly want to confirm dimensions for freight and get model and engine info when I go down there. Plus get a feel for the peolple. Make sure I have a good feeling about everything

treeslayer2003

locked up is not a detroit thing unless it simply froze from sitting or water intrusion.

ga jones

If it's locked up it probably got water in it from setting. If that's the case some marvel mystery oil and a few gentle cranks back and forth by hand.as far as height goes I think it's around 9 feet

tantoy

Yes locked up from water like this,

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

tantoy

But some hard work and parts can make like this,

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

tantoy

Lets get some full size pictures of the machine, Looks similar in size to my 20,

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

crazy4saws

crazy4saws

crazy4saws

Quote from: tantoy on August 19, 2015, 10:24:08 PM
Lets get some full size pictures of the machine, Looks similar in size to my 20,

Tantoy, those pics are sweet. Nice restore job. Thats a treefarmer model 20 right? It looks awesome. Detroit 3-53?

Still getting familiar to posting pics on the forum but I think these worked out better.,

Im new to all things skidders. Ive driven a cat 518 before for a few weeks helping a local logger in highschool and Ive never forgotten it! It was awseome. Im still not positive on what model this oe is, but Ive decided to buy it for sure. Ive got a freight trailer just waiting on what day I pick to go pick it up. Work has been so crazy, which is great because its financing this buy but it sure would be nice to have a saturday or sunday off haha.

I was thinking about taking a portable air compressor with me and filling up the two low tires before loading it. Do you guys thinks it worth it?  We are going to load it by pushing it up onto the ramp with a dozer. Im a little nervous about this as Im not sure how the articulating center will act when we go to load it. They just sold another non running skidder and used the dozer to push it up onto a trailer so hopefully it works out. I cant wait to get it home.

Thank You Sponsors!