iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shout out to anyone near Knox, Tn!

Started by Tnwoodsman, November 01, 2015, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tnwoodsman

Greetings everyone! First time poster long time stalker! I have been interested in sawmilling for nearly ten years now but have never tried it! I love this forum because it has a huge wealth of information. Im posting today because I am a total starter on this subject. ( Except for all the information I have read but amounts to nothing? Hah )

I work a full time job with a family and want to start trickling into the world of sawmilling!

The reason I am shouting out for anyone near knoxville is to see if they would be interested for a free hand in an effort to gain some knowledge! Let me be your muscle to gain some knowledge  :D

I have no equipment of my own but I have tools and a welder and pleeeenty of parts I have been thinking alot about throwing together to make a lovely frankenstein unit to start with!

Also if anyone who reads this has a great book to suggest that would give me a good general knowledge I would greatly appreciate it! ( Or any really good beginner posts that have stuck in your mind. )

I am here for the long haul and hope to get to know you all! Thanks everyone!
Any reading suggestions are always welcome. If you're near Knoxville,TN hit me up! Always looking to meet some sawmill enthusiasts!

sandsawmill14

im about 5  or 6 hours east of you but welcoome to the forum :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

just_sawing

Here in Liberty TN in the middle of building saw sheds Dry Kilns and if the money holds Drying Sheds.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Robert Owens

I grew up in Knoxville, went to South Young High school (now South Doyle)and U.T. in the 80's. I live in Riceville, TN about an hour south of Knoxville. I am currently building a solar kiln and a 30x48 barn/shed to house my mill. More than happy talking "shop" or do some milling. Welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained here.

Magicman

Hello, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tnwoodsman.   Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tnwoodsman!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jrose1970

Welcome Tnwoodsman! I live in Spring City, about an hour and a half west of Knoxville.
It sounds like you are excited about working with wood. We have had a sawmill for about a year,
and I can't get enough. LOL  I cut 35 1xs this weekend from four logs. I have a lot to learn, but I love taking
nothing and making something. Even the sawdust is valuable!  There is almost no used equipment for sale. LOL  I guess folks just hang on to it, which is a testimony to how much they love it!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Tnwoodsman

Thank you all for the welcomes! When I get some time I will start hitting you all up to come be manual labor for you haha.

Currently I work 3-11 6 days a week so finding time is a little rough. So my ideas are to start collecting equipment now and building some things.

Here is a very simple idea of what I'm wanting to do. I have a 35' fifth wheel that I plan on taking to the frame. Then with a motor and Trans from a 95 geo tracker that I would hook up a minimum 10k generator to drive this. One electric motor for band and another for a chain drive to pull and push. As well as a wench to adjust height.

So any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also thoughts on if electric drive would be best or with as much power as I would have if I should aim for hydraulics. Thanks
Any reading suggestions are always welcome. If you're near Knoxville,TN hit me up! Always looking to meet some sawmill enthusiasts!

customsawyer

I would aim for hyd. this way you could also have hyd. log handling.
BTW welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jclvsall

Hell TN woodsman.

We are in Riceville about 55 minutes south on i75.  We run a Baker 3665.  U are welcome to come get some knowlege! 

Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Tnwoodsman

Thank you all for the welcomes and the invites. Sadly doing 60 hour weeks next few weeks so my time is limited.

Definitely hope to catch up with you all sooner than later!

fishpharmer

Welcome to the best place on the WWW! 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

I'm between Tellico Plains and Englewood.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

5quarter

Hi and welcome. It looks from your sketch that you're planning a monorail design similar to a Woodmizer. That will require a degree of complexity to the build that you would not have with a two rail system. If I was really wedded to the monorail idea, i'd probably save up and just buy a new or used WM. Going with a two rail sawhead eliminates alot of added engineering...plus there are scores of guys who have built them here on the forum and can offer wisdom and guidance at every step.
Building your own saw does have advantages, like cost, getting just what you want, and of course knowing every inch of it from day one. The big disadvantage though is that you will never really be finished with it. expect that after the first few months, you will start making improvements, mods, and endless other changes.  ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!