iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to get info and some knolage on c4 tree farmers.

Started by logman81, October 17, 2017, 05:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey so I'm skidder shopping and would like to know about the  c4 tree farmers. A local guy down the road from me has a tree farmer c4 that he is considering selling. It has a gas engine, four like new forestry tires and a spare gas engine to go with it. Says it doesn't have brakes but it is a really clean skidder. So are they underpowered with the gas motor? What kind of brakes did they have? I'm not sure what winch but it's not a gearmatic that I know for sure. So any knolage would be good and thanks.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Can you still get parts for them? Are the gas  motors good?

bushmechanic

Nothing wrong with a C4 Treefarmer. I'm currently making one into a forwarder. I also recently purchased a C3 Treefarmer, it has a 172 Ford diesel in it. Never saw one with a gas engine in it but I'm sure it will still do the job. I converted a Timberjack 201 to a 250 chevy engine about ten years ago and it works fine, just dosen't have the torque of a diesel. The brakes are a type of band brake, not sure how good they work but any trouble and I will convert to a disk system. They are a component machine just like the old timberjacks.

logman81

Ok this has a Ford gas engine. But your probably right it could still do the job.

bushmechanic

Same engine as the 172 diesel only it is a gasser. The Ford farm tractors came with them in either the gas or diesel versions. You can still get whatever parts you need. Whatever happened to that small skidder you were doing the engine for?

sweetjetskier

That skidder from the Spring you were working on looked like it was well on its way to haul logs for years to come with all the work done to it ?

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

logman81

Ok great that's good news, I sold it unfinished to a guy in ct that was going to finish it and pull firewood with it. This skidder doesn't have the gearmatic it has a different one maybe a Tulsa or Braden I'm not sure.

leeroyjd

How much will it cost to run a gas engine? That would be a big concern.

logman81

I figure about $20 on average a day for fuel consumption. But I think it would be a advantage come winter being that it will start easy in cold temperatures.

logman81

Where are the fuel tanks supposed to be on these skidders I believe this one has a boat tank strapped on the back?

bushmechanic

The fuel tank is in the rear frame usually under the winch, if it has a rear mount winch. The Braden is a good winch just mechanical, in my opinion better than the problematic oops I mean the gearmatic!

logman81

Ok thanks so much bushmechanic you have been a big help so far. I too am not a fan of gearmatic I've had a few of them almost all had some sort of issue. I'm hoping to get together very soon to go look at it and maybe make a deal soon.

mike_belben

I run a 1.6L ford gasser powered bobcat 742 that i brought back to life from a basketcase.  Same "7M" crossflow engine that was in the ford cortina and anglias, and formula ford racing series.  I couldnt keep the points alive for more than a few hours due to distributor wear, couldnt source a replacement, couldnt get a bushing kit or anyone to rebuild it.  Believe me i tried.  Finally discovered pertronix for a whole new electronic triggered unit for $300ish (which died in the first month and was warranteed recently) 

It runs every day but is gutless and drinks fuel like crazy, i cant keep the thing off empty.   The 743 is worlds apart and only difference is a kubota.  Id rather light a fire under my diesel in the morning than nurse my gasser all day.
Praise The Lord

logman81

Sorry for your troubles, not sure it is the same engine though.

chevytaHOE5674

If its a 172ci Gas motor then its the same as used in the 8xx series ford tractors. In a tractor working at PTO speed they burn something like 4+ gallons an hour, the same motor in diesel was right around 3 gallons per hour IIRC.

logman81

It might be same I'm not to sure. But I feel fuel consumption would be a little less for me.

chevytaHOE5674

Those motors were kind of gutless unless you have them wound up. When your winching and skidding I'm sure you will burn equally as much or more fuel than in a much smaller farm tractor.

logman81

I'm not sure on that to be honest I'll have to ask the owner about those things. I'm only going to be skidding pole firewood for the most part and won't be working it to hard.

Corley5

My experience with gasoline powered farm tractors is that they use more gas doing chores like loader work and moving wagons than on a steady RPM job like running a hay baler, mower, saw mill edger, planer etc.  That's what I've observed with H and M Farmalls as well as a 300, a MF 180 with a Perkins gas and others.
  What happened to the payment plan on the Clark?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

I decided to walk away from that guy wanted to much money and machine needs to many repairs and seemed fishy!

logman81

Were supposed to get together tomorrow to look at the c4 and if it's what I want mite make a deal.

47sawdust

Been looking at your old posts,just how many skidders have you looked at and bought or not?You should be well versed enough in old iron to do a book. :P :P :P
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

logman81

I've owned a few some I bought to fix and resell others I've bought and used for awhile. But it's good to know from others about a specific brand or model. Helps me to know about potential problems with them. This skidder was talked about briefly awhile back on here by another member here in ri.

logman81

Well I finally got to check out the skidder, I was actually pretty surprised of the shape it was in. It was in pretty good shape for a old skidder. No major leaks, good forestry special tires. Braden winch works but was a little hard to free spool out probably do to a little surface rust on the drum. Blade and steering pins tight, center had a little play but not bad at all, cradle pins tight and engine fired right up with no abnormal noise or smoke and seemed healthy. Only thing that didn't work was the service brakes probably because they had hydraulic oil on them. Overall didn't find anything that would steer me away.

logman81

Is there a place I can get new brake shoes for it if I buy it?

Thank You Sponsors!