iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin mounted crane or boom ?

Started by Satamax, September 05, 2021, 04:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody! 

Well, i have seen through the years on the internet, cabin mounted cranes. 

I was wondering. How is it implemented underneath ? 

Can some of you show me the frame holding the crane's base? 

Thanks a lot guys. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Gary_C

I can't show you what the structure looks like underneath but I can tell you what a bad idea it is to mount the crane on the driver half of the machine. For starters think about walking under a ladder or even worse putting your chair under that ladder with heavy things being lifted by the person on that ladder over your head. Then think about having hydraulic hoses and cylinders that sometimes leak or fail right over your head. 

And even if you don't want to think about failures and accidents, think about the operating problems. If this will be an articulated machine with a front and back half, think about what happens to the loader when you turn. Where do you put the loader when you are driving and not using it? And what happens to the loader when you make turns?

There was an earlier forwarder that was made with the loader mounted on the roof of the cab but I think most are junked by now. I once owned a Valmet 644/646 forwarder that had the loader mounted right behind the cab and it created many disasters in trying to keep the loader from falling off the load when turning. I was sure happy when I got rid of that machine.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mike_belben

I agree but i think max is talking about a non articulated, full frame truck.  
Praise The Lord

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Riwaka

That truck does not look like a good fit for a crane. 

Some trucks require a chassis rail extension to fit a crane. Probably cut the chassis and add a section. Would then need to lengthen the driveshaft, wiring etc. The Scania factory chassis extension instructions are over 80 pages in a pdf.

There will be some examples of small trucks with cranes, mounted behind cab on truck frame rails etc.
Small truck with crane loading 20 foot shipping container.
How your 20ft shipping container is moved using a Hiab Crane truck | Shipping container relocation - YouTube

mike_belben

How much weight and what sort of cargo have you got in mind max?  Is it for logs or just general purpose junk?
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on September 05, 2021, 11:19:47 PM
How much weight and what sort of cargo have you got in mind max?  Is it for logs or just general purpose junk?
Well, for logs and else. I have a payload of 6.5 metric ton, approximately. 
What i would love to do.  Attached to the "setra" or "universal" plate. (that's a metallic plate to hold the snowplow and other attachements) But the option of roof mounted crane got into my mind. 40ft under the hook vertically, 30 reach would be nice. 800 kilos at max reach could tickle my fancy. 

kantuckid

Loggers in my area sometimes have such cranes. I've seen many former use trucks that became log trucks. Trucks that used to haul soda pop, beer, utilities construction, you name, then turned into another use.
  Google "log trucks with loading cranes", then click on images and a bunch of e.g.'s will come up.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Satamax

Thanks Kantuckid. I'll have a look at that. 

Thank You Sponsors!