iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from your deer stand.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes they are dumb because da mamma kicks da bucks outta da nest and they must learn/develop their survival skills on their own. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

A few pictures of the Great Malarial Swamp that we were bow hunting today.  I enjoyed the day.  It has probably been 10 or more years since I've been.  We attempted to go Friday but the management area had not been opened up yet after the hurricane we had last Wednesday.  Saturday was spent awaiting and meeting our first granddaughter.  We waded most of the mile walk to the where we were going to put of the climbers.  I dropped my thermocell along the way but thankfully, my friend, Jimmy had an extra.  Much of the walk had water within an inch of breaching the top of our muck boots.  

We heard hogs while we were setting up the stands.  Jimmy had a big boar charge at him last night when he was walking out.  Even with the thermocell, the skeeters were dealing misery until the sun came up.  We were up the trees by 5:45.  We saw several turkeys (no good opportunities), heard a deer blow and splash and Jimmy shot a big coyote.  There were three piliated woodpeckers knocking away, owls hooting, an egret and what looked to be a limpkin feeding on minnows around my stand, small fish were eating minnows in the sheet flow swamp we were in, and an abundance of squirrels. I had plenty of critters to watch all day.  We really expected to have a shot at some hogs.  Jimmy passed on several earlier in the week because he did not want to have to drag one out alone.  We had a couple of rain showers and one pretty good thunderstorm.  Neither of us brought any rain gear due to the forecast.  We got out of the stands around 4:30 and headed back to the truck.  I did find my thermocell.

There is an Osceola turkey in this picture somewhere to the right of the big live oak tree and near the top of the picture.  One of the turkeys evidently got back on his roost during the thunderstorm because he swooped out of a tree and landed near the big white egret that was about 40 yards from me.

Caveman

Walnut Beast

Little bucks just cruising through 

gspren

Deer hunting today in DE I had a small "herd" of turkeys walk by fairly close but no deer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

Good luck! Always nice to see the views! 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: TN King on November 05, 2022, 11:18:11 PM

Keep growing. I let a guy just like him with longer brow tines go by tonight.  This other little guy wants a selfie of his broke off tine. Could have done it when I seen two battle way out in the field a couple nights ago.  Pictures don't come in to good sometimes when you take a picture off the tv with i phone

Walnut Beast

I haven't been in my stand lately with the nasty windy and cold weather and somebody is concerned 😂

Jeff

I got back in from my deerblind, made some supper, and wanted to share some pics and video clips including some trailcam stuff of this first beautiful and significant snow. It can stop now. Anytime. ENOUGH ALREADY EH? :)
GREATEST Deer Blind View in the Eastern U.P. Because I said so. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I had a view from the "Strawhouse" Friday afternoon before the season opened Saturday.  I saw 11 deer including one non-shooter 8 point but nothing of significance.

I did not even go Saturday (yesterday) afternoon because the wind of out of the North.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moosehunter

No deer but got some snow today. I think this is the remnants of the lake Erie lake effect that is pounding Buffalo. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

Just one doe ventured by on opening day. The deer stopped moving, as nobody was walking around and no one in the adjacent lands were even sitting on stands.. but me. Today, picked up the trail cam cards and verified that nothing was moving during the daytime (shooting hours) when I was away from my stand. 

This doe crossed about 8 am. 

https://rumble.com/v1vptqs-doe-opening-day.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Another stand another view. Just a little guy cruising through. 

WV Sawmiller

The boys are back. There were 5 of them in this bachelor group but the first one walked past and kept going before the other 4 came up.

This little lady came out about 4:30 pm and stayed over an hour. I had to chase her off when I left the stand at dusk and she did not seem to want to go. I have spent some quality time with her before. I don't know where her mom is as she comes down by herself.

It is good to have my camera back from the shop and so far I have been well pleased with the workmanship.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Had about 20 does and a handful of smaller bucks in view from the stand but no bigger guys. Just this little guy passing by . Always fun just watching! 

Jeff

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

It doesn't have antlers at least 3" so he is of no concern. ;)

Southside

It could be one of those infamous "Crack Spiders" the  Canadian Wildlife Service in Ottawa did the documentary on YouTube. 

If it is, you want to be careful Jeff.  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

The deer put them in there to keep you occupied so you will miss a good shot 😂

Jeff

I can do spiders, just not the other Jim Stafford critter

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Due to this NNE wind, there will be no View from my deer stand(s) this entire weekend.  :-X

I have a Grandson hunting on our adjacent property which offers some different options so maybe he will get an opportunity.

caveman

This was not really a deer stand or a hunting trip.  It was more like an enjoyable boat ride and a walk/wade through often almost crotch deep water through a swamp along the Withlacoochee River.  We passed Ellmoe's sawmill on the way to the boat ramp.  I did not get very many pictures due to having to put my phone in the backpack to keep it dry.  We were scouting more than hunting but we did carry our rifles.  It was a good morning spent with my son in law.  I got home around 3 p.m. and had a forestry practice with some of the FFA students.

The mosquitoes were dealing.  I killed four on the back of my hand with one slap. I should have taken a picture of the citrus trees that were on one of the hammocks we were exploring.  They are commonly found growing on small rises in the swamps.  I suspect they were planted by the Indians on spots where they would camp and hunt.

I did find a picture of the citrus tree.  These are usually the sourest of any fruit I've ever tasted.

Caveman

Southside

That's a funny looking doe in the last picture.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!