The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: TimberKing SawMill Question  (Read 2276 times)

Offline HOLTeam

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
TimberKing SawMill Question
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
I have actually done a search on this topic, and was not able to see it as a previous question, if it is one, then I pre apologize.
Does anyone know why TimbeKing switched from Kohler engines to the Brigs and Stratton Vanguard series of engines, and when did they make the switch.
During my research of trying to find my first mill, I keep coming back to the TimberKing 1220 or the TimberKing 1400, I wont be ordering a Mill until this spring, so I have spent a great deal of time looking and researching.
Anyhow, first post on this forum, any experience with the Vanguard series of engines you guys and gals may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dale

Offline Treehack

• Full Member x2
  • So many logs...So little time
    • Share Post
Re: TimberKing SawMill Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I can't tell you the reasons behind the change.  I have been running a 1220 for a little over a year and the Briggs has performed flawlessly.  It starts right up in cold weather and has adequate power for a manual mill.  I mostly only saw for myself, so don't run it full time every day as a pro, but have a few thousand bf under my belt and have been extremely satisfied with the performance of the 1220.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
Most direct method would be to call Timberking.I had a 20hp Vanguard on my old mill,Kasco, and it was great.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Will_Johnson

• Sponsor
  • TimberKing Factory Rep
    • Share Post
    • www.timberking.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Great question!

We've used Kohler engines for many years and have been super happy with the engines themselves and with the fact they are (mostly) made in USA. We still use Kohler engines on our 1600 and 2000 models. (2200 and 2500 come with Kubotas.)

A few years back Kohler informed us that production on the engine we were using on the 1220 was going to be moved to China. We were not happy with that for any number of reasons. We were unable to find a US-made option in that horse-power range so we went with the Vanguard series. These engines are made in Japan. We've been using them for several years now and have had zero problems that I can think of.

In the case of the 1400 we were facing cost challenges in complying with EPA evaporative emissions standards. These regulations require extremely expensive fuel tanks, lines and filters which were tipping the balance on the cost of the 1400. The Vanguard engines have an integral fuel tank, which eliminates all of this additional equipment and yep, I won't lie to you, cost. We've been using these engines on the 1400s for at least a couple of years now with, again, zero problems that I can think of.

I think everyone knows that Briggs did a lot of damage to their name in past years by selling a lot of poorly-made engines. With the Vanguard series they set out to correct their course and, in our experience, they have very much succeeded. They are, quite simply, great engines.

All of that said, we can always put a Kohler engine on a 1400 for you (or a 1220 for that matter) but there will be an additional cost associated with the EPA-compliant fuel system.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
For a while Kohler engines was having big problems with plastic timing gears.
It made JD garden tractors cry.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
Sounds like TK made a wise decision.  Outstanding that Will took the time to put an answer explaining the reasons for the change on the forum.  A standup company.

I bought a new Kasco sawmill in 1994 that came with a 16 HP Vanguard.  It was still running perfect with zero problems when I bought a TK 2000 in 2010.  I would not hesitate buying a mill with the Vanguard.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »

Good for you Will staying away from a China engine.  I bought a 6 hp Kohler that was made in China, didn't last near as long as the original Briggs motor.  Shame on Kohler for going to China to make money right now until their reputation is shot. It took Kohler a lot of years to build up a good name and it will take the so called management only a short time to ruin it.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline HOLTeam

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research and had found some very good reviews on the Vanguard, I was curious and what an awesome answer Mr. Johnson, I knew with the TimberKing having such a good reputation, there would be a logical answer.
Thank you to each and everyone of you who have had some input and took the time to help me understand.
Thanks again,
Dale

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Briggs engines are made in USA, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico, and the Netherlands.

Farymann_Diesel_GmbH

Daihatsu Briggs & Stratton

Mitsubishi  Vanguard

Komatsu Zenoah

Toro R*Tek

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »
The Chinese are capable of manufacturing a quality product. They will manufacture to the standards set to them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 01:53:28 AM »
As far as I know briggs has always made a quality product, they made some cheap junk too for the folks that wanted cheap.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Online ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 05:28:51 AM »
The Chinese are capable of manufacturing a quality product. They will manufacture to the standards set to them.

Sure China is capable of making a quality product and they are getting better, but these company's with that went there to make more money really don't care about quality anymore .  Hats off to TK for spending a few more $  for a better motor.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:35 AM »
Sure China is capable of making a quality product and they are getting better, but these company's with that went there to make more money really don't care about quality anymore .  Hats off to TK for spending a few more $  for a better motor.  Steve

Bingo.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline opticsguy

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
I own and use a TK1220, excellent machine.  Mine was built about 2010 with a Kohler Engine and is 100% reliable. 
I am very certain that TK will be able to provide the same quality of service with the newer engine. 
The sooner you buy your TK1220, the sooner you can start to have fun!!!!!!!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
TimberKing jack question

Started by T_in_SC on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post February 19, 2005, 09:59:51 AM
by T_in_SC
xx
TimberKing bandmill question...

Started by SPD748 on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 10:32:38 AM
by SPD748