iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tearing down an old barn and new business venture,

Started by 123maxbars, January 21, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Well looks like I have taken on another business venture out of sure chance.  I have had three barns given to me recently by friends whom just wanted them removed.  I am going to take them down in my spare time and try to harvest some good lumber from the buildings.  I will kiln dry them then either use for furniture or resale to other craftsman.  Anyways I shot a short video on my first day. Also you will notice at the first and end of the clip I show a really nice walnut tree on the farm that I will harvest next month.  The dbh is 48in and no branches for the first 16feet. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF4_nn-0a-4
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

MattJ

Magicman

Be careful.  Everything in an old barn seems to be holding something else up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2016, 04:24:44 PM
Be careful.  Everything in an old barn seems to be holding something else up.

Good point and every piece you loosen or remove makes the structure more unstable.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

Good luck with your new venture. Be careful when removing that tar paper type siding because some of the older stuff contains asbestos. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

dean herring

What's the market like there for your new venture.
Which is better pine or oak  in your area?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Kbeitz

I feel for you.... I know what your getting into. I have taken down many barns.
It's one heck of a lot of work. I'm sure you will get your share of splinters.
When I started I needed wood to build my first shop.
This is a picture of what i did with the wood from one barn.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!