iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar eclipse April 8

Started by woodroe, March 16, 2024, 09:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I had to rely on the internet for pictures, nothing happened here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

I ran this eclipse simulation in central New Hampshire as well as near the North and South boundaries of the state. At no point do you see the sun appearing (or disappearing) at the 2 o'clock position, anywhere in the state.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Larry

As folks learn how to use AI we are going to see lots of fake pictures. Favorite AI app, "make a picture of a eclipse low to the horizon over a lake". Few minutes later I have the picture with options to improve it.

Wanta see a picture of my 30 point buck? ffcheesy ffcheesy
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Everything was a lot darker than that picture indicates at totality. The only light was the ring around the moon and on the horizon. A lot different sky than in the image.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

peakbagger

I will not defend the possibility of the photoshopping but will comment that up on mountain in Northern NH, it really did not get that dark during totality. It definitely was dark overhead with Venus and Jupiter visible and dark in the direction the eclipse was traveling but looking off to the north or south it was still quite bright out. I think the difference was that the horizon from the top of the mountain to either side was as much as 100 miles.  

Chuck White

At totality the most interesting thing I noticed was the "never seen before" difference in the appearance of the sky at the horizon, unable to describe, but beautiful.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

The western horizon here looked like the sun that just set out of sight to me. A band of amber colored light. Was stars visible in the sky here. We never had a cloud of any sort.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

B.C.C. Lapp

Of course heavy cloud cover came and went through the whole thing here and when the sun was almost covered the clouds were so thick you couldn't see what was happening.  It did get real dark for a few minutes.  I almost quit splitting cause I could barley see. Whole lot of disappointment for the folks that put in a lot of effort and money to see it.  
Clouds? In north west Pa?  Who in the world would have thunk it. ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

peakbagger

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on April 12, 2024, 01:56:55 PMClouds? In north west Pa?  Who in the world would have thunk it. ffcheesy

Sun in Northern NH in April , who it the world would have thunk it. ;)

Hilltop366

And the moon on the night after. (April 9)

aigheadish

@Chuck White I saw a 360 degree sunset/sunrise that was really incredible, is that what you are talking about? Seeing those colors in the north and south where they aren't, usually, is pretty strange. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Chuck White

Exactly!  Hard to describe the difference in coloration, but then again, it was getting it's light from a changed source!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!