iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 X 8 to 1 X 4

Started by Burlkraft, May 05, 2007, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Wyatt came over today and we sawed about 1000 bf of Redwood 4 X * in ta 1 X 4's.

Dean took 'em home and loaded his kiln.....We'll see what we got in 30 days er so... ;D ;D ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Hey!  We just spent last weekend taking that log apart and here you go stacking it all back ta gether again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

That is some nice looking redwood.  What are you gonna do with it after it is dried?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

There's a lot of peck in some of it....I hope it holds together. It looks pretty cool. The rest looks pretty nice.. ;D ;D ;D

I have no idea what I will do with it, but I got it if I need it..... ;D ;D ;D

It's hard to imagine that after all this time it's still at 20% moisture..

Dave Shepard

What's the rule of thumb for logs and timbers? One year per inch of thickness? So your log is One year per inch X too many inches = still wet in the middle. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Robert Long

Hello All

I've got a red wood, not common to our area but it's 40" dia. at the bottom and goes to 8" dia. at the top........it is in three 12 ft. logs and was dropped off by a tree felling co. for me to do with as I please ( nice to have good friends like these fine people ;) )

Anyway, What do I cut it into......boards, 4x4's, 6x6's ?    and how does it dry...is air or kiln the way to go?   With such a taper on it and the irregular shape that it is how should I cut it to achieve the most from it?

I'm a hard wood mill operator  and do not have red wood in the area so I need answers to cutting it, no better place to find answers that on the forum :-\ :-*

Robert

woodhick

What's the approximate value for reclaimed redwood like that.   How much per bd ft?
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

DR Buck

Steve,

What model mill is that?  Where's the fuel tank?  Inquiring minds want to know.. smiley_headscratch
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Burlkraft

It's an LT 28 the fuel tank is on da udder side of da motor about where the water bottle is on dis side... ;D ;D

Gary_C

Woodmizer has a moulding machine that would make some real nice interior siding with those 1 x 4's.   ;D

Course you would probably need another building to hold that.  8)

Then that siding would sure look nice in that new building.  8)

You weren't planning on selling that nice redwood anyway?   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Gary_C on May 07, 2007, 09:03:05 AM
Woodmizer has a moulding machine that would make some real nice interior siding with those 1 x 4's.   ;D

Course you would probably need another building to hold that.  8)

Then that siding would sure look nice in that new building.  8)

You weren't planning on selling that nice redwood anyway?   :D :D

I'll be sure that Jill see's this...... :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!