iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Collin's Mill Build - V2.0 is long overdue

Started by Hoopty5.0, August 19, 2019, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: JoshNZ on February 24, 2020, 09:21:15 PM
I used a centrifugal clutch rated for 25hp on my 22hp engine and it's great. Double sheave and 1" shaft with 1/4" key. I'm using both sheaves and nothing slips, first to groan is the engine.

I got it here, from a local auction site $90USD.I could pick one up and ship it if you don't find something similar elsewhere.
I don't know if we're allowed links or not admin can edit if necessary.

25HP Centrifugal V Belt Pulley Clutch A or B Belt | Trade Me
That's great and I appreciate the offer! I need to fix a few other things higher on the priority list first, but I may end up taking you up on it in the near future if its still there.

Hoopty5.0

Sometimes, I am my own worst enemy, and I have to just stop and shake my head.

I've been meaning to make a lube system, but have been putting it off because I couldn't dig up the motivation to piece it together. Yesterday, I had some down time and within 10 minutes, I had an operational lube system. I could have smacked myself! 10gal poly fuel cell from an old race car project, a -6 AN to barb fitting, and some rubber hose and it was done. I just ratchet strapped the cell to the top of the carriage. I was using vise grips to regulate flow, but will stop for a ball valve on the way home today.

Didnt get any pics, but I did cut up a small piece of pecan because I was bored. Looks like a alien cockroach overlord, no?

charles mann

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

thecfarm

No idea how much lube you need. I have 2 valves on my manual sawmill. One to adjust the flow and one to shut the flow off. That way when I get the flow just right, I can shut it off when I am putting another log on and than turn the valve and it's just the way it was when I stopped sawing. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

charles mann

@Hoopty5.0 
Get you a small 1/4 turn valve and a small gate valve. Put the 1/4 turn at your blade and As thecfarm said, open them both, adjust the flow, then, you can use the 1/4 turn to stop the flow during log change/flipping and fully open again and you are at the exact same flow you were at. 
Maybe even put another, but larger, 1/4 turn valve on your water tank so you can close to take it down to fill it, IF you plan on dismounting it to refill. 
Temple, Tx

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: charles mann on March 04, 2020, 10:11:11 AM
@Hoopty5.0
Get you a small 1/4 turn valve and a small gate valve. Put the 1/4 turn at your blade and As thecfarm said, open them both, adjust the flow, then, you can use the 1/4 turn to stop the flow during log change/flipping and fully open again and you are at the exact same flow you were at.
Maybe even put another, but larger, 1/4 turn valve on your water tank so you can close to take it down to fill it, IF you plan on dismounting it to refill.

Quote from: thecfarm on March 04, 2020, 07:29:58 AM
No idea how much lube you need. I have 2 valves on my manual sawmill. One to adjust the flow and one to shut the flow off. That way when I get the flow just right, I can shut it off when I am putting another log on and than turn the valve and it's just the way it was when I stopped sawing.

Thanks, those are good ideas. I did by a 1/4 turn valve, will add the gate valve too.

Had a heart procedure last week and am on limited activity. Might be a month before I get any more done. I keep trying to work and my wife keeps yelling at me!

bwstout

If you have 12 volts on your machine I use a solenoid  valve with a flip switch just turn it on or off that way don't have to do any reaching. 
home built mill

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: bwstout on March 09, 2020, 09:53:49 AM
If you have 12 volts on your machine I use a solenoid  valve with a flip switch just turn it on or off that way don't have to do any reaching.
LOL now that is fancy there. Might be too fancy for my rickety hunk-o-junk!

bwstout

Naw my mill is a redneck build I call it a shade tree mill set under a tree at least you have a shed ;D
home built mill

Hoopty5.0

Good: Lube system works great
Good: added a yard stick and a pointer to accurately measure cuts
Good: I cut up 2 big walnut logs, a cherry log, some pecan, and a cedar log this weekend
Bad: hand winch finally gave out. Time for the electric one to go on.

So I have 32 slabs in the shed to dry right now. I just kinda tossed them in to get them out of the way. I need to pull all of the pine out and break the stacks down more. But I cut the slabs thicker this time and painted the ends to reduce checking. Look at those beautiful straight cherry planks on top!!!

Hoopty5.0

Oh, out of curiosity...

I set a bug bomb off as I closed up last night. The pecan had termites, so I was hoping that would get 'em. Does that actually work?

Magicman

Termites enter from the ground so I would be providing the proper ground separation and even a termite shield.

Also spraying the ground with something such as this will kill/eliminate termites.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: Magicman on March 17, 2020, 01:41:20 PM
Termites enter from the ground so I would be providing the proper ground separation and even a termite shield.

Also spraying the ground with something such as this will kill/eliminate termites.
so could they have just been ants in the wood, not termintes? There were hundreds of ant-like critters in the pecan slabs, some with wings. Didnt get pics.

charles mann

Temple, Tx

Hoopty5.0

Hmm yeah that looks like them. I set a second bomb off last night just for good measure.

Also, the steady stream of water coming from the dehumidifier is impressive. Lots of wet wood in there, so I guess that's how it's going to go for a bit.

Hoopty5.0

My new "office" has a pretty cool view of a sawmill.

Side note - I added the electric winch to lift/lower the sawframe and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. So, we have a lube system, measuring system, and a remote controlled lifting system. Eat yer heart out Woodmizer!! hahaha

Hoopty5.0

I've got 2 projects in various stages of completion that I'm kinda excited to show off.

Project 1: lumber rack - I needed a way to organize the dry slabs in the wood shop to better use the space.  I made it from pine off the property, so I essentially have $0 in it, until I go pick up a bunch of lag screws today to finish bracing. It's 8' tall, but the pics don't convey scale well:

Before:

After:

Proud papa!

Like I said, need to add another couple lbs of lag screw and a few more braces.

Project #2: Jib Crane

Due to the location of my mill, it's hard to load logs on and moving it somewhere else isnt an option. The crane will sit outside, but next to the bed of the mill and will swing logs on. Here is a pic that I am mimicing:

I have all of the material and have started welding, but am waiting on my neighbor to cut the tabs for the hinges on his plasma table. Hope to have more progress this week so I can show more pics for critique.

charles mann

The swinging hoist jib pictured. What is its rated capacity? Are building exact, or beefier? 
Temple, Tx

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: charles mann on March 30, 2020, 01:14:40 PM
The swinging hoist jib pictured. What is its rated capacity? Are building exact, or beefier?
my jib is 4" x 8" by 1/4" I beam - but you gotta remember the logs I cut are twigs compared to what's in your yard :D

charles mann

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on March 30, 2020, 01:35:39 PM
Quote from: charles mann on March 30, 2020, 01:14:40 PM
my jib is 4" x 8" by 1/4" I beam - but you gotta remember the logs I cut are twigs compared to what's in your yard :D
True, BUT, what is the rating of an 8" i beam, 1/4" wall per ft?
Temple, Tx

Crusarius

In that application it won't be the beam that fails it will be the connection and or the hinge.

Hoopty5.0

Yeah, that's been the concern of a few people that I've talked it over with is the hinges.  I also have some steel cable that will work as a guy wire and an angle to the top to support the beam. Think tower crane.

charles mann

beef up the hinges, bigger diameter and thicker support pillar and a support cable that'll take the weight. we have a shining crane rated for 2 tons, with a 12" i beam about 3/8"-1/2" thick. has a 1" diameter support cable that hinges, looks like about 2-3" diameter wings and the support column is about 48" across ( don't know, didn't measure it for exactness). looks to be WAY over engineered, but those type of cranes, for their size, have a much lower wll for some reason. 
Temple, Tx

Crusarius

With a design like that bigger is not always better. If you put a w6x20 wide flange (I) beam that is a roughly 6" wide 20 pounds per foot. you have to support that 20 pounds per foot along with the load you want to lift. If you use a w6x5 now your only supporting 5 pounds per foot and it gives you more lifting capacity. With any type of structural engineering it is always tradeoffs. the bigger you go the heavier it all needs to be. but then you need to also be able to support it and not have it fall off of the wall or whatever it is attached to.

Now if you intend on using it as a drag line and not a lifting line that changes everything. Especially the load direction which will change all your beam sizing.

Hoopty5.0

Thanks for the comments. This will strictly be lifting logs next to the mill. Swinging 180°, and then lowering. I think the other thing I should have mentioned is that the jib is 6' long and I'll only ever be using 3-4' or so.

@charles mann I do still have one of those two pecan logs I got from you to mill. What do you figure they weighed? That will likely be the biggest load it ever picks.

Thank You Sponsors!