iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Collin's Mill Build - V2.0 is long overdue

Started by Hoopty5.0, August 19, 2019, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

That is flippn expensive haha, I can tell you now my flattening sled won't cost more than a 10th of that  ;D.

Cool though, looks pretty good for hand flattened!

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on January 09, 2020, 04:32:54 PM
Router sled...

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro60120-5-x-10-cnc-router-kit-p-374.html

:)
DANGGGG!!!!!, that is high dollar. Iv seen router sleds built for less $100, excluding the router and bit/s. 
I think ill build onto my mill bed rails  and get me 3hp router. Steel, router, rods and time, even at $100/hr wouldnt equal to the cost of that fancy thing. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

JRWoodchuck

Yes it is spendy but how many tools do you own that make money for you while your making money doing other things? 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

charles mann

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on January 09, 2020, 11:46:03 PM
Yes it is spendy but how many tools do you own that make money for you while your making money doing other things?
Own, as in bought and paid for, or assigned and have at my disposal? 
If a man's sole living or plans to be the only source of income, and determining the amount of items produced and sold that would pay for that tool and THEN start making money. 
As a hobbyist, doing it in spare time, not in a hurry to get a product out the door, or just something for oneself, budgeting to get things built or to buy things. How many have that much money to lay down for hobbying around? 
I make darn good money and only work 50% of the year, can budget my builds without worrying about if this bill, or that bill gets paid, and i myself, wouldnt hand over that much, when something 1/10 the cost will do the same. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

@Hoopty5.0 
Collin, nice work. Looks exceptional. 
Have you knarfed into that pecan you picked up a few months back? Kinda curious what it looked like on the inside, considering how punky it was on the outside. 
Temple, Tx

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: charles mann on January 10, 2020, 12:21:41 AM
@Hoopty5.0
Have you knarfed into that pecan you picked up a few months back? Kinda curious what it looked like on the inside, considering how punky it was on the outside.
I haven't yet, but intend to soon. I have a couple of small jobs ahead of them that I need to get on, but I STILL don't have any blades. I will be calling Woodmizer today to see what's up. This is ridiculous.

charles mann

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on January 10, 2020, 08:55:11 AM
Quote from: charles mann on January 10, 2020, 12:21:41 AM
@Hoopty5.0
I STILL don't have any blades. I will be calling Woodmizer today to see what's up. This is ridiculous.
I would agree. Hopefully a polite, yet if need be, stern conversation, followed by email will get ball rolling
Temple, Tx

Crusarius

I am in the process of building one of those cnc's :) Just because :)

Wont cost that much though. least I hope not. My last router sled cost $83 for the linear bearings.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: Crusarius on January 10, 2020, 09:23:03 AM
I am in the process of building one of those cnc's :) Just because :)

Wont cost that much though. least I hope not. My last router sled cost $83 for the linear bearings.
Build thread??

Crusarius

well, kind of a build thread start? More of an informational thread. But you can get the idea of what I am working on there.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=109062.msg1703907#msg1703907

Really need to find some investors. These projects I keep embarking on are getting more expensive every time.

Hoopty5.0

Blade order date: 12/30/19
Blade delivery date: 1/15/20

So, 17 days. Overall, not unreasonable I don't guess.  I think what threw me off was that the confirmation email said the expected ship date was 12/31. Gotta figure the holidays put them behind a bit. Oh well, but I'm ready to get milling again!

Second issue - In my drying shed, I've got 2 halogen work lights, a dehumidifier, and a 20 fan running 24/7. Would that account for a $100 increase in my electricity bill? I'm thinking so but was curious on your thoughts as well.

JoshNZ

Each device will say it's watts or its current draw which you can figure out watts from. And your bill will say what you pay per kW/hr, easy enough to work out. A 1200watt toaster running 24/7 will use 28.8kW/hrs per day and you'll be paying something like 30c/kW/hr (actually I have no idea what you'll be paying.. in NZ you would be) it'd cost you about $8.64/day for that. Youll prob have two rates, off peak as well so you could do the calculation twice.

Long over complicated answer aside... Sounds about right  :D

Crusarius

That is probably as close to the correct answer as your gonna get. Now the real question is with all that running will your wood be drier sooner? or will it not be worth the extra cost to get it a month sooner?

Hoopty5.0

Good responses. The halogen lights are both 500w bulbs, which combined with the fan (not even counting the dehumidifier) equals Josh's analogy. At $.075 /kWh, is $64/mo.

Whoops. My wife was not pleased.

Hoopty5.0

@charles mann - I finally cut up one of the logs! It was a B____ moving the logs without the tractor (my dad has it) so I had to modify my 3 pt crane by welding a trailer hitch on and supporting with a heavy strap (NOT a good idea). To lift, I used a chain hoist, but again, my dad has the 2 Ton hoist and I was left with the 1k pound hoist (REALLY NOT a good idea), so the only thing I really had going my way was the log tongs.
After much tense maneuvering, I was able to get the smaller of the two loaded on the mill and was rewarded with some of the prettiest pecan I've ever seen! I got 8 - 8/4 slabs and a couple 6/4.

So on to the need for version 2.0:

- The hand crank lift winch is toast. I have an electric one on the shelf that needs to go on.
- after the pecan log, I tried milling some pine 2x lumber but the blade got gummed up with sap and ruined half the log and left me with a roller coaster.
   I need to make a lube system. Again, I have all the stuff, I just need to force myself to do it.
- I need to add ballast to the rear of the carriage as it's really front heavy.
- the cheesy little feet I put on the bed to level it are way undersized. Need to find a better solution there.

Now that my shop has permanent power and doors, etc., I can drag the whole setup inside and fix it all. Now to find the time...

Crusarius

Ahh the rabbit hole of next versions :)

I now hoave a version 2.0 design and 2.5 design working.

Hoopty5.0

Hah! I don't think I have the need or desire to make another. This size suits me just right, just needs some fine tuning.
And considering what little exposure to mills I had previously, I'm really pleased with how this came out.

Another question I had - is it possible to do a direct drive? I'd just pull out the clutch and put a pulley on. My clutch is the weak link and wont let me power through the cuts. I probably wont do it, but it's just an idea Ive had rolling around.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on February 24, 2020, 09:16:30 AMis it possible to do a direct drive?
You can eliminate the clutch and have one of two other options.  WM has an "over center" setup with tipping the motor.  When the motor is down in the level running position, the belt is tight.  Tipped up just a bit, there is slack and the belt won't engage.  You have to have some metal guides very near the pulleys to keep the belt from falling off and helps it have slack around the pulley so it will stop going around.  Search on here for gww, Kwill or Kebitz's mill builds.  The other is to have an idle pulley that does the same sort of over-center thing to tighten the belt.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 24, 2020, 09:24:43 AM
Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on February 24, 2020, 09:16:30 AMis it possible to do a direct drive?
You can eliminate the clutch and have one of two other options.  WM has an "over center" setup with tipping the motor.  When the motor is down in the level running position, the belt is tight.  Tipped up just a bit, there is slack and the belt won't engage.  You have to have some metal guides very near the pulleys to keep the belt from falling off and helps it have slack around the pulley so it will stop going around.  Search on here for gww, Kwill or Kebitz's mill builds.  The other is to have an idle pulley that does the same sort of over-center thing to tighten the belt.
Good deal. I forgot I bough a tensioner pulley a while back before I revised the whole setup. I need to come up with a way to work it back in!

Crusarius

Can always setup an electric clutch instead.

I like my centrifugal clutch. I will not change that.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: Crusarius on February 24, 2020, 10:26:36 AM
Can always setup an electric clutch instead.

I like my centrifugal clutch. I will not change that.
Can you link to what you have? I had a lot of trouble finding one that was rated for my HP. This one is rated for 8 I think and have 16 haha. The one Linn sells is $200!!!

Crusarius

That is the one I bought. I have 22hp and after I got the clutch broken in it has been great.

It is pricey but its kinda important part of the build. Or you go find a lawnmower on the side of the road with an electric clutch and scarf it.

charles mann

Hopefully some of the other pieces i kept turns out with that character, along with the burned out logs. Im hoping they have worm holes in the wood. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on February 24, 2020, 11:58:19 AM
That is the one I bought. I have 22hp and after I got the clutch broken in it has been great.

It is pricey but its kinda important part of the build. Or you go find a lawnmower on the side of the road with an electric clutch and scarf it.
Pricey is an understatement for some. 
The 1 i was looking at was around $1800. Hind sight, yet still a possibility, i should have went ahead and got it. 
Temple, Tx

JoshNZ

I used a centrifugal clutch rated for 25hp on my 22hp engine and it's great. Double sheave and 1" shaft with 1/4" key. I'm using both sheaves and nothing slips, first to groan is the engine.

I got it here, from a local auction site $90USD.I could pick one up and ship it if you don't find something similar elsewhere.
I don't know if we're allowed links or not admin can edit if necessary.

25HP Centrifugal V Belt Pulley Clutch A or B Belt | Trade Me

Thank You Sponsors!