iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advertising. How long to build up business.

Started by TnSawyer, February 23, 2007, 11:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnSawyer

I have really enjoyed reading the posts and had to join in and get into this fountain of sawing knowledge.
My dad and I bought a '93 wm lt 40 hd about 9 months ago.  We have done pretty good sawing part time compared to what I figured we would be doing.  We saw or mainly for one guy who builds barns, sheds, fences and such. He keeps us fairly busy.  I buy the logs and sell him the lumber.  He will give me an order and need it done yesterday.  Then we will not hear from him for a couple weeks.  I am wanting to move more into custom sawing other peoples logs.  I dont have a great source of logs is one reason.  We are on a dead end road so not many people can just drive by and see that we are there. I guess I can just sum up my questions like this:

1: What are the most effective ways to advertise other than word of mouth?
2:How long has it taken some of you guys to build up a steady buisiness?
3:Any ideas on prices or custom sawing rules like $10 charge for hitting metal or charging more for really dirty logs.( I dont have a debarker right now)

There are 3 mills (all wood-mizers) within a 25 mile radius around me and I have talked to all of them and they all said there is plenty of work for all of us.  I think I just need to get the word out more.
                                                                           Thanks for any input,

woodmills1

try the horse people or fence companies as well as anyone who may use dunnage.  Look also to area high schools for shop wood.  I advertised in a local shopper and got good customers till they put me in their bussiness section.  My phone book ad has given me 2 jobs in 10 years.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Welcome to the Forum, TnSawyer.  I'm glad you stepped out of the shadows. ;)

It seems like what works for one guy doesn't work for the next guy.  Woodbowl keeps an ad in the shopper all the time, and swears by that practice.  The theory is, people see it over and over, so they naturally think of him first when they suddenly have a need.  Works well for him.

I've never advertised at all, but folks seem to find me, one way or the other.  I've handed out lots of business cards, and find a way to mention the sawmill when I meet people.

The best way to build a good business is to provide good lumber consistently and dependably.  People want boards that are the same on both ends, in the middle, and all points between.  They also expect you to do what you promise.  If you're backed up, tell them so, rather than promising to squeeze them in.  If you try to do that, you'll end up breaking that promise, or the one you made to someone else.  The word gets out real fast about that.

I think most sawyers charge for hitting metal, and some do for dirty logs.  You need to be right up front about this if you're gonna charge for it, though.  Be double sure the customer knows it ahead of time.  You can always waive the charge at the end of the job if you want to.  It makes the customer real happy if you do a little something extra like that.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dad2nine

One thing that has seems to work pretty well for me is throwing in a few extra boards. Personally I think they remember the free boards more than what the bought.  always say, heres a few extra boards in case your run into any problems.

I've also had to learn one important lesson "a man is going to do, what a man is going to do". If you know what a man is going to do is wrong (like bolt 14" wide green WO boards down to a trailer bed) tell him there going to draw up and split. I mean somethings got to give, either the botls or the wood. Let him know what you think, but if he still insists on 14" wide boards - cut them for him cause a man is going to do, what a man is going to do anyways.

Later he came back with split trailer boards and said you were right. Now what do I need to do again? I cut 6" wide WO and showed him how slot the wood for the bolt holes, and said leave the bolts a little loose, when the WO draws up in a month or two go back and snug the bolts down. He did and now he thinks I'm smart. little does he know I'm not all that smart, I just like to play with wood.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Fourm..  8)

We've not advertised other than had our name, etc. stuck on the side box and bug shield of our truck.  Sometimes I wish we hadn't.  

We also have business cards printed up and we hand a few of these out.

We are also "Fortieth and Plumb" on the end of a dead end road.  When we first started sawing we had a mobile mill.  Seemed like every job spun off a couple more.

One thing we did do early on was to do a demo at the local county fair.  Check with your local fair organizers and you'll probably find they're always looking for some kind of display that will show people working.  There is no end to people that like to watch other people work.  ::)

Best of luck!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

TnSawyer,welcome to the forum.About 15 years ago,before I got my mill ,I took some logs to be sawed,he charged $20 for any metal.I thought that was fair.You have to make money.Never know where the logs are coming from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Sawing wood is cheap; sawing rocks, dirt and metal ain't.  Charge accordingly.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BBTom

Noone else has said it yet, so it must be my turn.  Think Yellow, as in Yellow Pages.  Where do you go to find something local?  Get a listing under sawmills and state you can go portable.   

Get a contract,  we have had a few discussions on the FF before about them.  Here is one of them https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6260.0

I charge $0.30 /bdft for sawing with a $200 minimum/job.
$25 setup fee, same if I have to move mill during job.
$25 per damaged blade.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Cedarman

Ask the other sawyers in your area to send the overload to you. Of course you will get the jobs that they don't want, but use the work to your advantage.  Be sure to tell each one to refer others to you.  If they send you a good job, then maybe send a coupon good for a couple dinners at the MA and PA grill.

Put the word out over and over and over.  Most people don't see things until they need to.  Last night on a game show they asked which way the thumb pointed when the don't walk light came on at a crosswalk.  We've all seen the sign a bunch of times, but don't think about it until its worth $100,000.  The guy got it wrong and lost.  So you have to keep your business in front of people.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Minnesota_boy

If you want to stay busy, you have to let people know that you're in business.  Put up a poster in the local store if they will let you.  Make people see it and what you do by putting a picture of you sawing and then what you do and your name and phone number.  Make them call for the particulars.  Print up a few business cards.  My business cards were printed from my computer with a color photo of my mill as the background to keep people knowing what I do.

I have a Woodmizer cap and jacket that I wear when I go shopping.  It's surprising how often people stop me and ask if I do custom sawing and will I come saw for them.  A name on your truck will help too.  I don't have that but I've been stopped while pulling my mill and asked if I will saw for them too since I'm going their way.

Nowdays, I don't have any posters and I hide the business cards most of the time because I have so many word of mouth customers that I can't keep up and have to send business away.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

bull

Buisness Cards, hand them to everyone you are introduced to anywhere and everywhere you go
family partys, company partys, church, fairs, farm shows, forestry expo's, sportsmans clubs, concerts, resturants....... general store bulletin board....... Town offices,townclerk, building inspectors,animal inspector,planning board,conservation commission etc..... The library.... Farm and feed store.................... Over the past 10 years I have handed out or put out over 2000 cards, I also advertise seasonaly or as needed in a small local paper that is delivered by mail to every house in town.... We also have a tri annual local phone book that I have an add in....... "No yellow pages, waste of money"!!!!  I have a customer list of about 500, 50 of them buy lumber annually in varying amounts ....5 on a steady basis. 5 steadies for custom sawing 10 - 15 mbf a year... My annual budget for advertising is $500.00........ If your going full time "diversify".... custom sawing won't cut it

kderby

I agree with the business card idea. There is a lot of good information on every card and it is all about you.  I hand them out like candy.  They may sit in a desk drawer for a year.  The connection you made when you handed the card to the person is easily renewed.

My wife and my crew all carry my cards as well.  When I am not on hand, they can still create a connection between me and the customer.  Often the customer hands one back.  Then I can do the follow up phone call.

When I meet other people and ask for a business card, I learn pretty quick how seriously they take their business.  Not having a card is a bad sign. ::) ::)

(Yes I am human and I do get caught without a card once in a while)

Y'all in the South have the tradition of calling cards.  Does that still occur?

Good luck making it go!!!

flip

I have gotten into my first year of sawing for others.  I am not full or even part time, more like once in a while.  I put an ad in my local paper and bought some business cards that I put on bulletin boards. Most response so far is from the paper which I run once every other week and am putting one in for the ag feature they are running soon.  I think once people know you are there and see an ad as your business picks up you will have to spend less $$ to advertise yourself.  As said before-charge accordingly, know your market, get a contract.  If it were so easy everyone would own a mill ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Rail-O-Matic

The cheapest form of advertising today is by word of mouth from an old customer recommending your wares to any new potential customers, then and a close second is a well set out web-site, then a name and number writen on your truck door, its like a travelling business card.

The web-site will potentially reach more people, becuase they search for certain items from the comfort of their arm chair, in the states people rarely travel between one place to another because of the large distances involved, so again word of mouth and the WWW comes into play, telephone etc.

A web-site is only as good as the web-master building it, this I know because I do this as a side line when times are quiet, there are so many web-sites out there that are very complicated to surf through, and many do not have the right sources and key words in place for them to be recognised.

I also depends what you have for sale, if you are concentrating on one kind of timber then the customer base is going to be limited, if you sell different kinds of timber to say, wood turners, cabinet makers, farmers etc, then your distribution is going to be much wider. different things.

A web-site is great for mail order and posting out your specialities, once people get to know where you are in the world, then a web-site will work for you, if you hate computers then its not going to work for you.

Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Cedarman

A business card has 2 sides.  I have the cedar scale printed on the back because I buy a lot of cedar logs.  I have seen cards that people carried for 10 years.  Give them a reason to keep your card.

Give your customer some extra wood or a freebie something.  BUT, ask in return for referrals. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ARKANSAWYER

If you mill is portable then hook it up to the truck.  Take it to town and wash it at the carwash. Then pull over to the station and get some fuel.  Head to the hardware store and pick up some bolts or any thing then to the feed store and get you Father in law some feed.  Then stop by the local feed place and eat lunch.  When you start this trip put a load of business cards in your pocket and leave them every where you go.  Stick them in signs at the station, on the counter at the store and every bulliten board you see.

Like Bibbyman I have signs on my truck and on the mill.

I also wear a red "T" shirt with my name and number on it all the time as well as a hat.

Once the word gets out you will be covered up.  Now to keep covered up you need to know wood and sawing and have a heart for it when it is 20 degrees and the wind blowing 30 mph or 110 degrees and not a breath of air.  I started out of the house and my house is not easy to find.  Just ask Furby!
ARKANSAWYER

woody1

If you want work..go to any of the local lumber, hardware stores and talk to the sales men, about what you do. I am in that type of buisness and there is not a day goes by I don't get a call for someone to saw up a log, buy rough green boards, ect. There is one guy down the road who has a bandmill and stocks some green boards. I give them his number..he's a happy camper. Giver a try.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

LT40HDD51

Quote from: Cedarman on February 25, 2007, 07:38:11 AM
A business card has 2 sides. I have the cedar scale printed on the back because I buy a lot of cedar logs. I have seen cards that people carried for 10 years. Give them a reason to keep your card...

Good idea. Business cards are great, but that is a good reason to keep em around. I've also made some with a magnetic backer, as a fridge magnet. You know how long stuff stays stuck to the fridge... ;D. You can get them at an office supply, just peel off the back and stick on a card.

I've also made one page flyers and put them up on bulletin boards all over the place. Just be careful its not a "not for profit" board. I bought a pack of bright orange paper, catches the eye and looks good with the black writing (but I like the black/orange combo anyway  ;D). Most gas stations, equipment dealers, restaurants, etc. will put one up pretty quick, we didnt get turned down once while driving around looking for places. Could also make a pocket on the bottom to hold a few business cards, weve thought about trying that. I've had guys show up holding one of the flyers in his hand...

I also have a website that I designed myself using a simple template program (no programming or code). I understand that its not as effective for being found by a search engine (being template-made), but its mostly for giving all the info I want after a reference from a card or flyer or something. Most people around here arent gonna sit down at the computer to find a sawyer... Check it out to get some ideas...

Another thing I just thought about is whoever you bought your mill from. Our office gets requests for sawyers all the time, and quite a bit of my work comes from there. Most offices will keep a list of sawyers in their different areas handy for those requests. Give em a call and find out...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

rebocardo

> 1: What are the most effective ways to advertise other than word of mouth?

Local yellow pages with a 1/4 page ad. Just having a single line listing ($35 a month) does not work unless there are only 3-4 choices in your category. The most effective is also the most expensive for out of the pocket money.

Thank You Sponsors!