iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Securing the mill part 2

Started by biziedizie, May 11, 2003, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

I was thinking today about mill theft and the more I thought about it I got to thinking that a person would be after the motor as the mill wouldn't be any good to them as they have no idea how to pawn it. The more I thought about things the more I thought about having a way to keep the bolts from turning that hold the motor down. I've thought of different ways to do this but I've always come up with the same ways that will never let me undo the nut on the mill. i.e welding and things like that.
  I was in the shop today and I ran across a keyed lock that I used to keep the spare tire on an old Jeep that I used to own and bingo that was the answer! This lock has a hole through it that the bolt on the mill will go through and the nut on the mill will thread on to it. After that's bolted on the cover is put on and you just lock it with the key and there's no way to get this thing off. You can turn the cover but the nut won't turn and it's pretty slick how it works. I installed it today and I would just love to see someone try to take it off.
  I think I got this item at an rv place but I would assume that an auto parts place would have it to. There was no name on it so I can't help out there.

Steve

oakiemac

Sounds like a good idea, but I can't picture exactly what you're describing. Can you post a picture?

Steve
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

biziedizie

Wish I had a pic but no digi cam. :(
  If I'm right Ford has the same thing on their trucks to keep the spare in place, or was that the G.M truck?
  I'm pretty sure that an R.V place wood have one of these locks.

Steve

J_T

Airproducts smoke wrench will remove it. ;D
Jim Holloway

biziedizie

J_T I've never heard of that product. What is it and how does it work.

Steve

woodmills1

hey I am not a criminal, but I sure know my smoke wrench will remove just about anything bolted. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

J_T

Biziedizie It be a cutting torch.  :)
Jim Holloway

biziedizie

Thanks J_T I was wondering what the hell you guys were talking about :D

I can't see a crook lugging in a cart with tanks to steal a mill but you never know now a days.

Steve

hydeoutman

I have stolen lots a stuff carrying a smoke wrench in the back of my truck

Anonymous

oops! my name is still at the left ;D ;D ;D

johnjbc

Always called mine the Blue Wrench  8) 8)
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

junkyard

Mine is a hot wrench. It takes stuff apart ( cutting) and puts it together (welding)  also adjusts the length of irons a real combination wrench.
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

ADfields

Thank You Sponsors!