iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling with the Logosol

Started by richhiway, March 09, 2014, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

I started out milling a few logs with a Haddon lumber maker to see how it would work out. A 30 inch bar and a ripping chain on my old farm boss. Worked good,takes a little practice, I made a few wedge shaped board.
I am going to post some pics cutting a pine log on the logosol that I found on craigslist used.I'd like others to add some pointers on how best to mill. Thanks

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Here is a camp fire bench I cut with the lumber maker. I had a lot of trees come down in hurricane Irene and some had some nice pine borer marks in them as they were down for a while. In the past we cut logs and had a good friend come and mill with his woodmizer. I wanted to see if I could mill with the saw, at my leisure,I didn't want to waste the downed logs. I also wondered if I could build a small cabin.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A small pine log on the logosol. I try to take off as little as possible on the first cut. You can level the log as each bunk is independent. I should add that I also purchased a good used 044 on Ebay,the 041 farmboss was a little slow.It would cut anything yo needed,but I wanted a little more speed. I am using a 20 inch bar with a 3/8 ripping chain. Is there a big benefit in using the narrow kerf logosol bars? I am trying to keep the costs down.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

the second cut. I cut one side ,flip the log and cut the other side. This give you parallel sides.It has been cold here and the logs are frozen solid. The bar is riding up because of it. Is there anything you can do about that?

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

The third cut. When you make he second cut and a cut side is resting on the bunks each bunk needs to be at the same height. When you have an uncut side on the bunks you can level the log to take the taper out so you have less waste. Also make sure your cut side is square up against the rest.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

This is a small log so there is going to be one cant. I am cutting 2X6 so I measure and mark to make a six inch wide cant. From the little experience I have so far the mill can cut nice lumber. I am working alone and it take me about an hour to cut up this log. I have a tractor with a bucket and put two logs on at a time. Of course you could go much faster with a helper. 

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Here I turn the log up and begin cutting off the 2X6's. 

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I found the gauges a little hard to see at times. Logosol recommends counting up the "clicks", each click a 1/4 inch plus your kerf width. I found if you use a speed square down the the top of the rest, it is a quick way to raise the log for each cut. If I use 2 1/2 on the square I cut a 1 15/16 thick board.I know they sell a a guide that goes in the hole and you pick it up onto the cant,but the square works well. You could also make a "stop" from a couple of boards to use as a gauge. It is a lot quicker then bending over and reading the scale each time.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A picture of the rule on the logosol. There is a pointer on each side of each bunk,but depending on the height you have to bend down to see them.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A finished board. With my limited experience with chainsaw milling,I think it is a good way to make lumber and slabs.While you may be able to make some income cutting custom slabs and beams, I don't think you could cut enough standard size lumber fast enough to make a profit. For my own use it is a small investment and I have a lot of timber available,I am not worried about my time and if you work at it at your leisure you could cut enough lumber for any size project.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

I could make more production if I didn't

have to throw the frisbee after each cut.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Sometimes simple is best. The crank and the rope allow you pull the saw trough the log at your own speed with ease,making for a nice smooth cut.

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Just as a circular mill uses a edger to cut boards to width I think if I wanted 2X4's  or smaller sizes I would be better off to cut 2X8's and rip them on a table saw. Anyone do it this way?
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

JohnM

Welcome to the forum, richhiway.  Just an fyi, you don't need to make a new post for every new pic, but nice work getting the pics up first try! 8)  And the 'Preview' button is your friend. ;) ;D

I've always thought those Logosols were pretty cool especially for homeowner/woodworker with projects needing done.  Looks like quite a nice finish for a chainsaw.  Nice work. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

redbeard

Welcome Richhiway nice job on the timbers.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Wow richhiway, you are a busy rascal.   :D

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Please add your location to your profile so that we will know.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AK Newbie

Welcome aboard!  Great pics, I have had a logosol for several years and I love it.  When I want lumber for a project I can cut exactly what I need!  Enjoy and you will learn lots and meet some mighty fine people here on the forum!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

richhiway

Thanks. I fixed my profile and I kind of figured about the pics but I'll try and figure it out next time.

Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rich.

Always good to have another NY'r sign on here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You are doing fine.  smiley_thumbsup  The Preview button just to the right of the Post button is your friend. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

you can cut a fairly large log with the logosol. Is it better to cut it into qauters or square it and cut it into cants?
I did learn on here that posts should be cut at the center of the pith. If you need to cut multiple posts can you cut them from one log?

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! I've never heard of North Hudson before. The lumber looks great coming off your mill. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

richhiway

North Hudson is near Schroon Lake.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

mad murdock

Welcome Richiway! Nice mill. I have a Timberjig and a Alaskan III. The narrow kerf picco chain is worth it, IMO. Cuts the kerf from 3/8" to 1/4". Increases feed rate and cuts waste st the same time. Keep the pics coming 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

skydiver

This is my first post to this forum, just stumbled on this site after weeks of searching for all kinds of information. This site is the first one that I thought was a good one to sign up for.  I have been looking at buying and/or building a set up for chainsaw milling. I looked at the Logosol M8, and I am temped to get it, but I also looked at building one using plans from Procut.  I also looked at some of the log moulding available with Logosol.  I would like to ask how people like the Logosol and if they feel it is a bit "flimsy" with the long saw control bar compared to the length of the actual platform.  Also, the fact that you have to adjust both ends of the log to make the next cut, whereas the plans from Procut make the saw platform adjustable with a simple turn up or down to get infinite raising or lowering of the cut.  I know I can build one cheaper and it isn't that complicated from what I see of their plans, and other than needing to be able to weld and have a welding machine, it can be done by anyone. Just wanted some other opinions, and this is the first forum where I have seen anyone talk about the Logosol. 

Thanks to anyone who replies, and it looks like a great forum/site. I haven't had time to look at it thoroughly, and I apologize if the answer to this can be found elsewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!