iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Random length boards in kiln

Started by JoshNZ, July 02, 2022, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

What is the best way to load say a 20ft kiln with 12-15ft boards? No doubt the best answer is to only saw 10 or 20ft long boards but when you don't have that luxury...

The only way I've thought of so far is to butt boards up to each end alternating, and overlap them like finger joints in the middle, but this of course leaves a stack with boards missing from each layer at each end, and an area in the middle with no boards missing.

Is there an easier way?

KenMac

Certainly not the expert you're probably looking for, but I try to stack longer boards on bottom and shorter ones on top. If that's not practical, I would proceed as you mentioned, trying to get all ends landing near a sticker.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

YellowHammer

The key is to load them all so that their ends are supported so as not to cause stack bow and end droop.  So I agree, stack the boards with the longest on the bottom, and the ends all flush on one side, and the short ends landing on stickers, even if you need to double up on stickers on that side.  I also will "save" space on the back of the stack for stacking full length there so the odd long one has a place to stay.  So the stack is kind of three dimensional, full length on the back, full length and half pyramid shaped to the top, so as not to have to play too much with the boards as they are stickered.  Little shorties are added to the half shorties to get full length.  This also makes baffling the ends easier.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

JoshNZ

How do you baffle the end of a stack that is shaped like a pyramid then? You need to cut a sheet of ply or something to match it each time?

KenMac

My stacks are seldom very pretty as far as ends all being even. I use plywood or similar to fill in areas that are open after baffling. Short sheet metal screws hold everything in place well enough.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

We use tarps and soccer mom tents held in place with spring clamps.

Caveman

YellowHammer

I use foam board and I don't baffle as much as I used to.  Remember as the wood gets more dry, the effect of wind velocity decreases influencing the drying rate, so baffling is of reduced importance the more dry the wood gets.  Since I generally dry wood that has been air drying for a few weeks, and is in the 20% to 30% range, tight baffling isn't as important, especially if I can increase the airflow simply by using a little more fan flow.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sod saw

YH,  

Doesn't the air flow (or lack of) affect the ability of the heat to reach "all" of the board surfaces during the sterilization part of the drying process?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

YellowHammer

No, not really.  There will always be some forced airflow through the stacks because there are lots of fans, all spaced evenly down the chamber and even though some air will cheat around the edges of the pack, it's not much.  The key is to try to get one level layer on top for the top baffle, so that's why I try to have at least one full length layer full height.  

The airflow through the pack is easy to check by dropping a little sawdust on the outflow side of the packs, and if you can see it move a little due to airflow, things are good.

As long as there is some circulation then there will be enough provide conductive heating to the wood in all the layers.  Also, I sterilize for 24 hours, so even the smallest amount of airflow is adequate.

The more dry the wood, the less positive effect baffling provides, either good or bad.  So wet wood gets lots of baffling, dry wood, not so much.  

YellowHammerisms:

Sod saw

YH,

Thanks for the explanation.  

I specially like the saw dust trick.  It seems less stinky than smoke or incense, like we used to use to check window & door leaks in homes.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

YellowHammer

I'm a pretty simple guy with simple ideas.
YellowHammerisms:

K-Guy

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 06, 2022, 09:48:31 PMI'm a pretty simple guy with simple ideas.

No comment!! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Confucious says: "Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!