iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Framing Chisel Widths

Started by THJ, August 17, 2018, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THJ

Hey Guys,

New member, long time lurker here. I've been collecting timber framing tools for the past 5 years or so and have amassed a decent pile of bits, chisels, slicks, axes, and boring machines. I've always loved old timber frame barns and one day I hope to have my own timber frame barn and home on a nice piece of acreage.

Anyways... In some of the reference material I have, they say that the 1.5" chisel is essential, which I understand why. A few of the books say the chisel MUST be EXACTLY 1.5" in width. Being somebody who's used to working on high speed boiler feed pump for power generation, I might have a different definition of exact that a carpenter. I've noticed all the antique framing chisels than I have seem to be 1/32" or 1/16" under nominal. So instead of a 2" it will be 1 31/32" or 1 15/16". Most of the chisels I've found have been around 2" or 1.25" in width. But I do have an JPH & Co Everkeen that I think is a framing chisel (has the length, but the cross section seems a bit thinner than the other framers I have) that measures out at 1.450", is that close enough to exactly 1.5" for a timber framing chisel?

Thanks,

Scott

TimFromNB

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forums. In my opinion, that would be fine. Just don't use it as a measuring reference. I am currently cutting 2" mortises with a 1 1/2" chisel. Just makes for more work on the 2" face because I need to make two passes. I am trying to clean up an old 2" I have and that might save me some time.

I would just make sure the end grain is severed across the full 2" (or 1 1/2") ends before digging into the mortise sides and possibly splitting the wood past the mortise ends.

Tim

Dave Shepard

1/32" might be tolerable, but the chisel is used as a gauge, so it needs to be the right size. I have one chisel that has been lapped to 1.5000", but only because I have a strange sense of humor. Boring machine bits should also be the right size. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Roger Nair

I just measured the width of nine antique framing chisels.  All but one was narrower at the heel compared to the tip in a range of .02 to .05 inches.  Width at the tip was less than nominal most around .02 to .03.  I think this is by design, in order to prevent chisels from jamming  while deep mortising.  
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Thank You Sponsors!