iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots

Started by husky2100, March 07, 2014, 10:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

Im looking for some lace up logging boots made in the states or any were other than third world made. Any suggestoins

thenorthman

Hoffmans, Whites, Wesco, Kulliens, Special order Carolinas, all made in the states.  All good boots

Viberg made in Canada, also a very good boot.

Some times you can find Danners, Georgia Boots, and Redwings made in the states but don't count on it.

Any one of these boots will set you back several hundred dollars, but they are well worth it.

Whites, Wesco, Kulliens, and Viberg all offer custom fitting, I think Hoffman does too.

And Hoffman will resole any boot/shoe with caulks as long as its rebuildable.  So those favorite dress shoes can have nice shinny nails tearing up the dance floor at the next wedding, but hey your not going to be the one falling down...
well that didn't work

celliott

Just to chime in on one thenorthman didn't mention, Chippewas. Some models made in the states, some not. Look for the ones with the American flag on them.
I have 2 pairs, pretty much wore out my first pair, onto the second. I like them.

They aren't spiked (caulked, corked, what have you) not sure if that's the type of boot you're looking for or not.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SAnVA

Check out the Red Dawgs that Baileys sells, think they are made in Canada but good boots, not real pricey!   www.baileysonline.com

Offthebeatenpath

Northman and others covered it pretty well for traditional logger boots.  If you need cut resistant tops and fronts in your boots, it narrows the field quite a bit.  A rep from my insurance company came to my site and said my lace up steel toe boots weren't sufficient and that I also needed Kevlar on the top of the foot and shin area.  I used the cut resistant rubber Vikings, similar to the Husqvarna ones for a few seasons, but they're not the most comfy.

This year I bought a pair of Pfanner Zermatt boots designed for arborist/climbing work and they are perhaps the most comfortable boots I've owned.  You can buy them here: http://www.wesspur.com/items/clo125.html

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.  I got 'em on sale which helped.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

thecfarm

Would the insurance guy been happy with a kelvar sock? I know you have to plan and go one size bigger due to the sock.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offthebeatenpath

He said a sock is an option, but not a preferred one.  Would mean buying new boots regardless...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Woodboogah

I were a calked boot the is by far the most comfortable boot I have owned.  It is Kevlar lined throughout and Steel toed.  They are handmade and even my wife put her foot in them and said it was like a cloud.  I  bought them through  windy ridge in ossippee, NH
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

stoneeaglefarm

Check with your Chiropractor and see if you can wear a solid boot like all leather, or if ya have to have some flex in it, Makes a huge difference, I run Chipawas, As stated look for american flag, Also alot of guys a re getting away from the high back heals, If your lower legs and calves are hurting then it could be the heels, I wore them for 20 plus years and then my Chiroprater had me get off them, What a huge difference in back and legs, Alot of new great stuff out there. No commenmts on wearing heals, Kind of set myself up for that one.

GRANITEstateMP

I second the Labonville boots, mine are steel toe, kevlar, and most important - Made in USA (PA I think!).  The size was a bit funky (I think they ran small) but I was at one of the stores so that was easy enough.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thenorthman

Rumor has it that the labonville boots are either Whites or Hoffmans.  Depending on the year...

All the brands I mentioned come in caulked or rubber soles, caulked boots are more expensive but worth every penny.
well that didn't work

loggah

I have worn Labonville boots for years ,i really liked then, but the last 2 pairs i had trouble with the soles coming unstitched from the uppers.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Woodboogah

The labonville boots where made by matterhorn(sp) I believe out of PA.  The lat two pairs I bought did not hold up so I gave up.  They were a great boot, don't know what happened
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Stephen Alford

I like the cutter boots that are "duckin" friendly.   ;D

logon

curdog

There's been a lot of good boots mentioned but I will throw Nicks onto the list. They're a little pricy but you get what you pay for and the hold up and are very comfortable. Mine are going strong after 3 years. I wear them everyday for 8-12 hours usually and have been coast to coast in some pretty rough terrain from the swamps to the mountains. I'd highly recommend them and the folks at the company are very helpful and easy to deal with.... now I wonder if they will pay me an endorsement fee for this. :D

1270d

guess im not the only one who duct tapes their pants.   Ive gotten some weird looks after work when you walk into a store or some public place with a partial roll of duct tape on each leg.  sure beat snow donuts though

thenorthman

I just cut my pants off about the ankle... no cuffs, no snags, nothing to catch on, and when you do catch a calk or a sharp stick they just tear, and you have less of a chance of knocking more teeth out.

Some folks will cut them about halfway up the shin.
well that didn't work

mad murdock

Quote from: thenorthman on March 09, 2014, 08:21:06 PM
I just cut my pants off about the ankle... no cuffs, no snags, nothing to catch on, and when you do catch a calk or a sharp stick they just tear, and you have less of a chance of knocking more teeth out.

Some folks will cut them about halfway up the shin.
a standard look for guys out here on the left coast for sure Northman, but back where 1270 is, a shorter Langley don't keep the snow out when you are busting through 3 feet of it on a regular basis during the white months ;) that white stuff is rarely seen here, and when you do, it don't usually stick around too long.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Stephen, they look like Vikings, that's what I wear in the bush. Regular work boots just are not tough enough and they wear me out to.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

David-L

The girls complain theres no room for movement in the kitchen due to the boot collection. Nokia duck boot, Jonsered and Nokia high rubber winter boot, Redwing loggers made in USA. A boot for every application. I keep them warm while not in use and they treat me well in the bush. I love boots.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stephen Alford

Right you are SD, after listening to your premier talk about "putting boots back on the ground in NB forests" you should invest in some hipwaders.   :-X    You should have a nice view of the Isand in a couple of years.   :D
   Beautiful early morning here clear and cold. Love that predawn blue light. Anyway thought I saw the international space station go overhead just before 7am. Really cool moving west to east, that or those "Merloties"  are back.   ::)
   David l Thanks for posting all the great pics. Your mechanic looks like a bit of a  "cowboy".  The right size for working on a Jack however.  My coworker Mel is a great listener, but really hates to stop for lunch.   :D

logon

Thank You Sponsors!