iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone heard of Coutts Machinery?

Started by puffie40, December 02, 2020, 01:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffie40

Last weekend we salvaged a sawmill edger from the scrap pile at the dump. It is set up as a gang saw with a sliding saw for live edges. It's missing a few parts, and am hoping to find a little more info about it.

It is made by Coutts Machinery, a firm that is/was in Edmonton, Alberta. The curious thing is there is almost no mention of this brand on the internet outside of a couple of used equipment ads and some sawmill journals documenting a couple of small sawmill firms running one of their Edgers or a Headrig mill.

The feed rolls are 30 inches long. If the serial plate is any indication, this machine might have been made in 1950. I did not measure the saw diameter, but the cutting depth of the sawblade was 5.25", so the saw gang could only produce 2x4's.

The thing we are scratching our head over is both a) how the feed rolls were connected and powered, and b) how the sliding saw was moved.

We figure power for the feed rolls came off the arbor and around a pulley, then the large red gear transferred the motion across to the chain drives on the other side where the large chain sprockets rotated the feed rolls.

the sliding saw is a little more confusing. the best I could figure is a lever stuck up into the slide from underneath, as none of the linkages that are there interact with the guide to give it lateral movement.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

K-Guy

I found this online, maybe the company that bought them can help you>

Coutts Machinery Company, Ltd. was founded in 1920 by Thomas H. Coutts in Edmonton, Alberta. Its industry was agricultural machinery and its headquarters remained in Edmonton, Alberta. It was acquired by the Norwood Foundry Company in 1950. The company went defunct in 1983
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

mike_belben

Does the sliding saw have any signs of a fork engagement area on the shoulder. It would be a groove cut into the hub where a pair of fingers would ride like a shift fork. 
Praise The Lord

puffie40

QuoteDoes the sliding saw have any signs of a fork engagement area on the shoulder. It would be a groove cut into the hub where a pair of fingers would ride like a shift fork. 
It doesn't look like it. there is a cast-iron sliding "fork" that contacts the sawblade directly and pushes it around.

I took a closer look at the sliding guide and spotted what I believe is some wear where a shifter fork might go, right below the bushing the fork rides on.  There is a rib immediately behind the post, so the range of motion must have been fairly small.

I measured the sawblades and the arbor pully. It uses 16" saw blades and had 8V belts delivering power to the arbor.  A question that pops up now is what the power requirements would be for a saw this size.

moodnacreek

It looks like they used a saw guide style shifter. It would have saw guide 'pegs' just like a circle mill has. You would need 10 electric motor hp per saw or more.  Will you make a board edger out of this machine? Alot depends on the width.as to where you put the fixed saw. I am thinking a 2 saw board edger. The shift saw wants to ride on a polished shaft that gets oiled twice a day and shifts very easy.   Old worn and rusted edgers normally need a new shaft, bearings and shift collar. Expensive machine shop work but worth it in the long run.

puffie40

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 04, 2020, 12:58:36 PM
It looks like they used a saw guide style shifter. It would have saw guide 'pegs' just like a circle mill has. You would need 10 electric motor hp per saw or more.  Will you make a board edger out of this machine? Alot depends on the width.as to where you put the fixed saw. I am thinking a 2 saw board edger. The shift saw wants to ride on a polished shaft that gets oiled twice a day and shifts very easy.   Old worn and rusted edgers normally need a new shaft, bearings and shift collar. Expensive machine shop work but worth it in the long run.
The intention is to rebuild it into a board edger. A gang saw might be handy, but given the smaller size of timber in my area, cutting dimensional lumber on the mill will mean less waste from the kerf.
We have a small machine shop, so we figure we can do a good chunk of the rebuild ourselves.  We also figure we will try to put a variable speed drive onto the feed rolls, which will help with the power requirements.
I sent an email to Norwood Foundry asking if they might have any product literature in their archives.  I'll keep my fingers crossed!

moodnacreek

A variable speed drive is the way to go. With 16" saws and the edger in good condition you will be able to edge thick hard wood that most board edgers will not.

pa_of_6

I used a Coutts edger for years. Pretty basic. A hydraulic feed would be handy. I had a 3-71 Detroit powering mine and only used it as a board edger...not a gang edger.
The gears are almost impossible to find.
Mine also developed an issue wanting to cut curved boards...never did figure out why.

We were using it to cut 1, 2, and 3 inch slabs.

Get the widest kerf you can for the edger teeth...3/8s if possible. Gives the sawblade lots of clearance.

HopsonHops

Did you ever get your edger working? We operate a working Coutts Edger that has the same build as yours. I'd be happy to help send photos or offer a tour if you needed!

beenthere

HopsonHops
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. With your experience at the mill, glad you came aboard. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ST Ranch

Hey Chris - you might talk to Larry Gould at Mardis Logging

His operation/sawmill is located on Skookumchuk prairie, just across the highway from Lance Hay farms.

He worked for many years at the mill in Canal Flats and has salvaged a bunch of old mill equipment over time. Also has an active planer mill at his mill yard.  

By the way, where ya located here in the E Koots

Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Stephen1

HopsonHops welcome to Forum always great to have more Canadians on here! EH!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

I remember the abandoned Coutts foundry in Edmonton, have no idea when it closed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!