iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are new blades good for?

Started by Crossroads, April 01, 2022, 06:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Finding metal, 🙈 took out 3 brand new turbo 7's today. Found some fence staples about 3" deep in a log. We cut the end with the staples off, then rolled it and sure enough, the second cut on that face hit a staple too. That log got ejected. Had high hopes that would be the end of the the metal for the day, but nope. One more log had a staple in it also and it got ejected after one strike. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Dave Shepard

At least tramp metal is someone else's fault. Wednesday I put a brand new blade on and five minutes later I let a 2x slip past the dragback and it pushed the band off. Made a real mess.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crossroads

Ouch, I haven't done that one yet, but I'm sure I will 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dave Shepard

I'd get it out of the way tomorrow. That way you won't have to worry about it sneaking up on you. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crossroads

Lol, I'll pass. I'll wait until I can do it with a audience 😂

DanMc

Better to hit junk in the log, than to take a bite out of the log dogs on the mill.  I think I'm up to 5 or 6 blades, and it's often right after putting on a fresh blade.  On the HM126, the dogs are on the opposite side of the track from the operating side so the log hides the dogs.   Sometimes I get going and forget to check, and, oh that's a very bad sound hitting metal.  

I have only hit steel in a log one time so far.   Hit a bullet once but that got sliced in half without any issue.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

lumberjack1986

Joe Maine's Silver Tip Turbo 7 don't cut metal worth a darn.  I had maybe 30m on the blade, first time hitting the mill, glad to get that out of the way.  🤦🏻

terrifictimbersllc

Does that mess up the blade?

Don't you like it when a customer asks that?   :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

Caveman made some knife blades and into some really nice knives that he gave for some awards. Maybe he could post another picture 

OlJarhead

wow those bands are smoked!  I've hit a lot of nails but never done that!!!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

lumberjack1986

I was mowing along pretty good. 1.3 cuts away from turning a log into 35 pieces of 3x3" dunnage... slow is smooth, or something.

Crossroads

My clamp has a mark similar to that! I was holding an odd shaped, oversized maple when I made a blade that was safe for practicing folding and unfolding. 

Yes TT, that's a frustrating question after it is made clear before we start that metal strikes ruin blades. 

Southside

I am going to have to disagree here. Joes T7, Silvertip,  1.75" bands will put a very nice, deep, cut into the clamp when being driven by a 55 HP turbo diesel, or so I have been told. Cough, cough..... :D 

Probably the worst one I ever had was a brand new, out of the box, band that cut maybe 6" into a White Oak and hit something like 5 pieces of wire and a couple of staples.  I tried to dig the garbage out then was so disgusted grabbed the Husky 372XP log shortener and removed about 4' off that log.  Put on another brand new band - instantly hit metal again.  That log went into the burn pile after that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lumberjack1986

I haven't tried 1.75" blades.  The guy I bought the LT70 from ram 1.25" blades for reasons unknown.

That 1.5" got through the chrome layer of the clamp pretty good, did 1.75" make it to the cylinder's rod?😳😂

Cedarman

A blade like Lumberjack's takes all the stress out of deciding what to do with it.
It is those blades that you think you can save that  really cost you time and money.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Crossroads

I don't have my grinder yet, but at this point , if it hits metal, it goes in a special pile that will eventually get sold by the pound at a scrap yard. 

OlJarhead

Oh my!  That's horrible!  I work very hard to avoid the clamp cylinder after running the guard under the band guide wheel into it at WM back in '16 when the mill was new.  Tweaked the guard something fierce but we fixed it...Now I look constantly!  Also, when I'm walking beside the mill (since I'm a walker - as in no remote or stationary control) I reach down and feel the clamp to make sure it's a half inch below the last cut once the CANT is made and short enough to not flip sideways on me (ask me how I know that can happen)...too me a few hundred hours or more to work that out :P

I'm assuming you didn't have to replace the cyl?

I hit some big monster nails in a job in May up north...right in the center of an 18" pine...must have been there 50 years or more!  Sheesh...and I'd already wiped out a new band on the first face!  Grrr....it does always seem to be a NEW band when it happens too  :o :snowball:
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Daburner87

Quote from: DanMc on April 02, 2022, 12:58:41 PM
Better to hit junk in the log, than to take a bite out of the log dogs on the mill.  I think I'm up to 5 or 6 blades, and it's often right after putting on a fresh blade.  On the HM126, the dogs are on the opposite side of the track from the operating side so the log hides the dogs.   Sometimes I get going and forget to check, and, oh that's a very bad sound hitting metal.  

I have only hit steel in a log one time so far.   Hit a bullet once but that got sliced in half without any issue.  
Someone on here swapped the metal dogs for ones they made out of hickory I believe.  If you hit it it's not the end of the world, but you'll notice you're cutting something harder.   I plan to make a few some day and try them out. 
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Larry

A bunch of amateurs sawing soft steel. :D

Get it really cranked up and hit a ceramic insulator full bore.  Second are an increment borer some forester broke off in a tree, and third is a log full of concrete with rebar that the homeowner put in a hollow spot in the tree.

By far the ceramic insulator's are the winners at taking out a band.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moodnacreek

Buy a good coin finder and check you logs before they get near the mill or any metal. I keep 2 , one in the log truck [picker] and one in the mill. I could not operate without them.

caveman

I installed a new blade last week to try to quickly knock out a few 4x4's a repeat customer ordered.  While sawing the first pecker pole, I nearly stalled the Yanmar and knocked the set out of the blade by 1/4".  I ended up cutting the blade out with an angle grinder and removing the log was tricky since I had six more logs between the mill and the tractor.

A few knives that I made out of saw blades:  I've got a couple that I use when cooking large quantities of food.  They hold an edge well.

Caveman

chet

This end of da UP of Michigan is an old Iron and Copper mining area. I think it was part of the culture back then to nail porcelain insulators to every tree, and if they missed one, attach lots of barbed wire. Your band would stand a better chance hittin' an imbedded  '56 Buick Roadmaster than that tiny insulator.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RAYAR

Quote from: DanMc on April 02, 2022, 12:58:41 PM
...On the HM126, the dogs are on the opposite side of the track from the operating side so the log hides the dogs.
Turn your carriage around 180 degrees and they'll be on the operator side, then watch out for your back stops. ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

boonesyard

A big lag bolt in an elm made short work of some interesting blade geometry. All the teeth are bent the same direction and are rolled over past 45 degrees. No stress in figuring out what to do with this one  

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!