iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are new blades good for?

Started by Crossroads, April 01, 2022, 06:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Sometimes when Im opening a box of brand new blades, Im tempted to just fold and bust a couple right off with a hammer/whatever. Could possibly save some time as it seems  the rocks/railroad spikes, horse shoes etc can smell new blades easily...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

GAB

Quote from: boonesyard on July 30, 2022, 08:37:07 AM
A big lag bolt in an elm made short work of some interesting blade geometry. All the teeth are bent the same direction and are rolled over past 45 degrees. No stress in figuring out what to do with this one  

Nice museum piece you have there.  
In my experience I find a newly remanufactured blade works just like a new one at finding trash.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crossroads

Nice knives Caveman! I forge welded some blade material together right before I moved to Idaho and never did anything with it. There's a good chance that I'll have a place to set up my forge this winter and I'll try to finish it. All of the knives I've made at this point have been material removal with 1095. To bad I gave them all away and didn't keep one for myself. Now I get pictures with my knives with dead animals every fall. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

caveman

Thanks, I've got a coal forge that I eventually would like to learn to use to make things, especially knives.  So far, the knives I've made have been pretty basic - just remove everything that does not look like a knife blade and put a handle on it.  The knives pictured were made for my senior FFA officers the year all of our students were sent home in March 2020.  The seniors went home for spring break and missed a lot of their senior year' events (grad night, prom, awards ceremonies and banquets) when school did not resume for us in person until August. 
Caveman

YellowHammer

@caveman 
So you just ground them to shape and they worked?  What about hardening?  Do you heat treat and quench, air quench, or use them as is?  They look great.  What thickness were the bands originally, or did you find one thickness works better than another?  As many times as I'ver been cut by a band, I keep telling Martha I ought to make a knife out of them!  I know they will cut, they've bled me more than once or twice.      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 31, 2022, 08:25:45 AM
@caveman
So you just ground them to shape and they worked?  What about hardening?  Do you heat treat and quench, air quench, or use them as is?  They look great.  What thickness were the bands originally, or did you find one thickness works better than another?  As many times as I'ver been cut by a band, I keep telling Martha I ought to make a knife out of them!  I know they will cut, they've bled me more than once or twice.      
Yes please tell us the recipe for making a knife. Your right YH , this is the 1st year I have been wearing shorts sawing. My shins are a mess from flipping blades open and closed,  I like the shorts but i'm tempted to go back to long pants. But then I end up with all sorts of holes in my pants. lol
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Quote from: Stephen1 on July 31, 2022, 08:39:57 AMMy shins are a mess from flipping blades open and closed

I have no idea how it made this pattern??  ::)  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Again?  Not too long ago saw one similar. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Crossroads

I
Here are a few examples of the knives that I've made. They were all material removal with 1095 except the one balanced on the deer horn, it was a file. They were all quenched in oil then 2 cycles of heat treat for 2 hours at 500° if I remember correctly. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

caveman

Those knives are far superior to any I've made. 

Robert, generally, I've just grinded anything that did not look like a knife blade away.  I keep a can or a bucket of water close to the grinder when rough grinding to quench the blade.  As I get close to a knife shape, I take a little more time to keep the blade from getting too hot.  After it is roughly shaped, I start grinding an edge using a coarse, 60 or so grit belt.  The ones I've previously made were out of .045 and .050 blades but the .055 should be even better unless you are shooting for a fillet knife.  
Caveman

Crossroads

Thank you, I hope to get back into it soon. Unfortunately I won't be able to take one of my own custom knives to Alaska with me moose hunting in September.  My partner will have the one I made for him though. 

Thank You Sponsors!