iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing With My Wife and Not Arguing

Started by YellowHammer, August 01, 2022, 01:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

How true!  I'm not monetized yet (close at 915 subscribers and well over the 4000 watch hours with over 6000 - and thanks for the sub by the way!) so I really am doing it for free! lol

I'm a geek though, so it's kinda in line with what I've done since 1979 (play with computers in one fashion or another) but you are 100% correct!

I spend hours editing though 8 minute videos I can usually do in about 4hrs the longer ones always take about twice that easily!  I'm an early riser though so am usually on my PC at 5am working on a new video.  I'm trying to put out 3 a week right now (to build the channel and learn more) so it's basically replaced my job in telecom ;) but I'm the boss so there is that LOL

I use two GoPro's myself and the 9 shut down on me in the sun early on though I think they fixed that for the most part, the 10 seems to do ok and I have the Media Mod on it so that might help.  What I do is different in that I rarely set up a video.  Mine are truly (for the most part -- probably 99%) on the fly, raw milling that I edit into something I think folks might want to see (I hope anyway LOL).  What I do is set up the GP10 as my main focus camera from a wider angle to catch everything and then the GP9 is my up close (r) camera that I try to capture the band and debarker with.  The 9 I move around and you can see that when I cut to it.  I try to keep the view moving between 3 and 10 seconds which takes a TON of editing!  (By the way I use DaVinci 18 these days which I really like and it's free! but you can also buy it to get more features though I use the free version).  Editing and adding voice overs and music is the challenge ;)  Trying to keep folks interested while I mill down a log of several of them.  My focus has been on real world milling in remote places and one of the things I want to do in the near future is video others milling (so if you are near me and want to be featured on YT -- which is good for your business ;) -- I might be willing to come out and do a video on your operation -- but YH you are too far for me yet! ha!)...

I try to change batteries on breaks and customers are ok with that (since I'm not billing then) but they die and I lose video...nothing more frustrating than milling up something crazy and finding out later (much later) I didn't get the video!  GRRRR or just part of it!  I've had to scrap video because I didn't capture it all!  Frustrating!

YouTube is also a challenge as it never really makes much sense.  I often think "This video is going to be great!!!" and then it gets a couple hundred views and goes no where! Then I put out a video and think "substandard!" and it gets 3000 views and I'm left scratching my head! lol -- that's why I tend to ask folks to comment and let me know what they think so I can get an idea of what folks want to see so I can make more engaging video!  I had one I thought would be awesome with a six year old running my hydraulics (he just wanted to) and it did great for the first few hours and then died....strange.

So ya, it's a constant learning curve and takes a lot of time but I do enjoy it (maybe as much as milling even!)....and I like to show what I call "the real world of milling" with all my goofs and logs that suck LOL

I also watch others videos because I learn!  Specially yours!  I watched the cherry log video and thought "wow, I hadn't thought of that!".  Much like FF I learn from others and find YT a good way to do that....

And I love to harass the Yoga Pant wearing sawmill video makers! ha!  In the end, I always hope something I show helps others -- specially when I goof up or do something that seems impossible!  (like LogZilla)

Anyway, you are spot on!  It takes a lot of effort and that's why I appreciate it when folks watch and let me know what they think :D  That's how I get paid!  I don't see YT as a way to make a lot of money (like part time milling) but I do see that it can add to the overall income stream if it's figured out.

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

YellowHammer

I also get aggravated with some of the other sawmill videos where the pretty young ladies are strutting around in Spandex and getting a million views while they fumble around and butcher up a log.  

However, I just don't have the "equipment" they do, so I guess I'll never be big on the Tube.  However, maybe one of these days I'll put on some spandex tights and do a video.  Maybe not though, because everybody would be throwing up on their computers, and I wouldn't want that to happen. :D :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GAB

Mr. Milton:
What oh what do you have against spandex?
On the right geometric shape it will accent it.
You wrote: "Sawing With My Wife and Not Arguing"
You and I both know that if you take your hearing aids out the only thing to read will be frowny faces.
Now if she puts her hands on her hips and has a frowny face, then yous in trouble.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jpassardi

Robert,
As much as we all appreciate your technical input, I think I speak for all when I say we'll take a hard pass on you in spandex...  :D
The white shirt is just fine.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Old Greenhorn

Well I would rate the vision I have of what your spandex video would look like right up there with MM injury photos. (I understand he is in contract discussions with a medical college to use his photos in one of their trauma training manuals.)
 But personal opinions aside (beauty is in the eye of the beholder afterall), one needs to look at this from a business perspective. Would the 'spandex video' cause your viewership to go up or down? That is the question you need to ask. If it turns out you have one of those rockhard bodies that some folks find attractive, perhaps it would work. Maybe you should leave the t-shirt off completely and throw on some spray tan? Just keep in mind, the crowd you attract may not exactly resemble your target demographic. 
YMMV
 For myself, I will keep an open mind. We are all learning and I think you may have some stuff to teach on this issue also. :D :) ;D Throw on that speedo and let us see how it goes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

OlJarhead

No please don't! lol you don't and I won't;)

YellowHammer

Oh wow, I just about blew cookies when I read about the speedo thing!  Don't worry, I wouldn't subject the Internet to such a sight.  I might break it.
YellowHammerisms:

thecfarm

I know what you guys mean about editing videos. My wife has a youtube channel.
All you guys are doing a great job!!!!!!
I have one too, but I tell her, just load it up, no editing, nothing.
I only wish I would have started my channel sooner. I have done so much on The Farm with removing rocks and claiming back pasture, that no one can understand how it looked before all of the work that I have done.
I did a big project on our garden. Hauled in a lot of dirt, one bucket full at a time. Probably 2 years of hauling. Have 2 more sides to do.
And the list goes on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Jarhead and Yellowhammer, just saying, as humorous as it would likely be, if y'all start producing videos of yourselves sawing while dressed in speedos, spandex or yoga pants I'm going to have to quit watching.  I'm sure your wives consider you both to be incredible examples of the male human form but that is not exactly what I want to watch - some things can't be unseen.  Thank you both for taking time to film and produce the videos.

I have considered making some parody safety videos using fake body parts, mannequins and a lot of red stuff but I have zero computer or video skills.

As to sawing with my wife and not arguing.  She has never offloaded a board.  My daughters will sometimes help if I get in a pinch.  My wife does a good job of scolding me if I enter the house soaking wet with sawdust stuck to me.  I have a good shower in my shop which gets used several days a week.  She is very good about ensuring John and I have plenty of leftovers to eat every Saturday when we come in for lunch (unlike a lot of you, we don't do this every day).  Another positive about my wife is that she does not really question or complain when we spend money on the sawmill related stuff. 
Caveman

YellowHammer

So the votes are in, I guess I will have to return my Spandex and Speedo to the store. :D :D :D

The funny thing is that no matter how many videos I make, the customers who watches them and come in to shop always know my dog's name, Chip.  They don't know who I am, but they know him.  Typically, the conversation goes like this:  

Customer: "Do you work here?"

Me: "Yeah, I'm the owner."

Customer: "I like watching the dog, Chip, on the videos.  Is he around?"

Ha, the dog is more famous than I am.  I wonder how he would look in a Speedo?

YellowHammerisms:

OlJarhead

LOL it's too early out on this coast to spit coffee out all over the place!  :snowball:

Honestly, if I put a speedo on the police would immediately arrest me and goog would ban my channel and make every attempt to recover from the massive damage it would cause...you'd all also need to get new computers.  :-[ :o ;)

Now my wifes boss, who runs Angry Gnome Gunworks (or something like that) and whom looks just like a little angry gnome, loves Borat and says he has a Borat swim suit (whatever that is) and his rather larger brother-in-law who my wife also works with, tells me he has these shorts called 'Daisy Dukes' (do they have flowers on them?) and they both tell me they'd run the sawmill for my YT channel....maybe if I don't hit 1000 subscribers this month I'll take them up on it ;)  After all, all the channels with yoga pant and butts have like, a million views!

All kidding aside, Chip is the star of the show, just sayin ;)

On a seriouser (is that a word) side...my wife HATES it when I come in from the shop covered in sawdust!  Good thing we have a garage that she LETS me change in....it goes something like "take those clothes off RIGHT THERE" and not for any exciting reason ;)  Nope, just picture an angry woman with a rolling pin tapping her hand and stomping behind you to ensure you get yer butt in the shower ASAP and not track sawdust (or allow it to fall of your head and anywhere else it's found itself) into HER home....only once you've showered and are dressed in nice clean clothes might she ask how the sawing went ;) But she's got food and bourbon thirty covered ;)

WDH

This is a rare video Robert.  Very rare.  It might end up in the Smithsonian.  99.999999% of the time, when someone sets out to make a video of Sawing With My Wife and Not Arguing, it turns out to be be a video of Sawing With My Wife and Arguing  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Two things. Daisy Dukes shorts is not YH in Speedo's or spandex. Look them up if you doubt this.

Any arguing situation with one's helper, if any, is made even better if both have earmuffs on.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

Borats suit is called a "mankiny".

Daisy Duke

sorry, but you cannot unsee this, you asked.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Calling all Admins - Help!!!

Please remove the first photo in the previous post before someone gets hurt. :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

. . . and leave the second photo right where it is. 😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

aigheadish

I feel a bit like a broken record, as I've suggested similarly for Jeff (and my wife!), I think, and I don't make videos for the internet, but YellowHammer have you considered slightly late model phones for recording rather than GoPros? I have a Samsung that takes incredible video, is comparatively inexpensive, easy to set up and monitor, and unload stuff from. I would think a few of Note 10s (250ish bucks each) may make the experience a bit better and I'm pretty sure they'll shoot 4k and have some sort of "pro mode" if you like to play around with stuff. No cell service is needed and you can still hook them into your wifi to transmit data (though probably slowly). 

I bought a GoPro when they were still pretty new, so I don't know their capabilities, really, now, but I struggled with using it effectively for anything, thus it's sat in a drawer for the past many years. I know a lot of people use them so it's certainly possible I'm missing a lot. 

I watched one of the spandex clad videos of the sort I assume you are speaking of and though I don't know much about sawmilling, other than what I read here, it's amazing the amount of stuff she's doing that doesn't look right. The funding for that operation seems pretty high as well. Corporate sponsorship is likely a blessing but probably also a curse. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

beenthere

Quotehave you considered slightly late model phones for recording rather than GoPros?

Yes, briefly. But went back to the GoPro's. 
Have you tried the phones and like them better than your GoPro? 

Seems the trick is learning the video-making software as some are very powerful, but takes a lot of intense learning to do the proper amount of editing. 

Now make videos for my records and family from my trail cam videos. Soon as I found a good, easy software to learn, the new computer system wouldn't allow it. Frustrating, as now seems the better ones are not free anymore. Understandable, but not excited about it. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 04, 2022, 10:35:05 AM
  Calling all Admins - Help!!!

Please remove the first photo in the previous post before someone gets hurt. :D :D :D
I do not recall who said it, part of a song concerning a streaker, "Don't look Ethyl, Too late she had a free show"
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

The camera in my Galaxy 22 ultra is pretty amazing. I did a video for our anniversary holding it in a very bouncy side by side, and some walking, and it's better than the sony in a gimbal, WHICH I HATE.

One thing about video editing, I can hide the brain farts, and time lapse can make a guy look energetic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RichTired

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

YellowHammer

The mankinni photo was hilarious and disturbing at the same time!  

I had not seen that before.  I had seen the Daisy Dukes, we still have them here in the south, and they always cause me to hurt my neck.

I have tried my cell phone, as a matter of fact I did the T shirt rant with it, but for some reason, although the video recording is very good, the audio is terrible.  The iPhone always picks up the slightest background noise, such as the hum of my kilns, and amplifies it to be noticeable and aggravating.  It also produces a weird echo, almost like it's multiple microphones are out of sync, and it really is noticeable when I'm editing.  So it takes more editing work to get good audio out of it.  If somebody knows some better settings for it, I would love to know what they are,

The GoPros have a very good image stabilization, and allow the use of a very high quality wireless microphone.  I use the one race car and stage performers use, it's called the Garth Mic.  It works very well with the GoPro, which is unfortunate, as I don't like the GoPro.

Some people have suggested I break down and buy a "real" camera, which can use all the features I want and still be reliable.  I just haven't wanted to spend the cash for it.

I use Final Cut Pro, it's pretty easy to use and has incredible capability.  

YellowHammerisms:

aigheadish

beenthere- I don't have enough experience beyond knowing that I've shot some amazing video with the phone, but it's just like stuff on vacation or whatever. I was messing around with some editing software, not nearly as good or capable as Final Cut, and it was free, but I don't remember what it was. I don't have the patience for editing video but the one time I helped my son with a project it was kind of fun. 

I didn't consider audio and I definitely understand that could be an issue. I know there are good audio recorders out there but the work flow would likely slow down as you'd need to sync up the audio to the video, which I assume is done relatively easily with your current setup. I would think they make some decent audio isolating bluetooth mics that would tie in directly to the phone but I don't know and some people are very specific about their audio quality needs and I'd assume there are some artifacts that would appear with all the equipment you are running that may be tough to isolate out. 

Real cameras would be sweet but if you've got several GoPros in action at once you are likely quickly into the $5k plus range for a handful of them. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!