iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hassel Berry maybe

Started by tacks Y, August 09, 2022, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

I was given some logs just not sure what they are. Hassel berry  or elm?

moodnacreek

I don't know hassel berry but it looks like elm. Hope you cut them thick and will put stickers 12" oc with a ton on top or more.

tacks Y

Southside

Is that a local name for a type of wood?  Never heard of it and Google didn't give me any results.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tacks Y

Was told Hassel berry, am I spelling it wrong?

The leaf looked more like an elm, and I spent the day before sawing ash. So pretty sure it is not ash. The butt log had a fair amount of taper to it and the elm I have sawn did not.

tacks Y

Ok, maybe hackberry? But I am leaning towards red elm.

WDH

Take a razor knife and make a clean slice cut on the end grain of one of the boards.  Take a close up pic of that.  If elm, the wavy bands of latewood pores will be obvious.  Then we don't have to guess.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JoshNZ

Looks like all the red elm I've milled

WDH

The wavy band pattern is not evident in the pics and I think that it should be if it is elm.  Maybe the rough sawn surface obscures the pattern.  If it is there the clean slice on the end grain will show it.  If not, then it is not elm.  

Thank You Sponsors!