iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wiring Accessories into LT35

Started by Willski55811, August 17, 2022, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willski55811

First of all, I apologize because I know there is the "Sawmill Mods" thread but I've searched through there and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I wired in a solenoid into this circuit breaker so when I go forward to cut, it opens up and turns on the water. It has worked great for about a year with no issues. (white wire coming up from the right)

I have wanted to add a diesel drip for a while and I finally did, using essentially the same system but wired into a constant 12v source on the other circuit breaker on the up/down drum switch side. It worked for a couple tests but then during my first cut I popped the CB and lost up/down function. I switched it to the lower stud, which I believe is the input to the CB so essentially bypassing it, and it worked fine for a couple logs I was able to test it out on. (Red wire coming in from left)

The switch in the debarker spot just turns on/off the automatic valve for the water lube. The button on the lower right needs to be held to add some drips of diesel.

Solenoid on water tank.

Diesel lube tank and solenoid.

With all that said, is there any problems with this? Is there a better place to pull 12v? These valves don't pull much at all for amps, but it made me nervous when I lost up/down function from it by popping that CB.

rusticretreater

Well, it does appear that you exceeded the amperage draw for the circuit breaker or your new circuit is not functioning as you think it should.

The CB should be closely rated to the circuit draw so its not very strong past that level. The added amperage of the second circuit probably tripped the breaker, but it is possible that something in the circuit is amiss. 

As you only press the button to energize the diesel drip circuit, if it is faulty it will take a bit for the circuit to heat up enough to do some damage. It might fail over time, or not at all.  Either way, you still want to put in a fuse or something in the circuit.  I would read up on how to check an amperage drop on the circuit or use the CB amperage as an estimate.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Willski55811

Yeah you're probably right about a fuse, I'll add one soon. I did do my first full day of cutting with it and it worked great!

Thank You Sponsors!