iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free saw.

Started by starmac, April 03, 2016, 05:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I wound up with a free Mcculloch yesterday including the case and a couple of extra chains.
I have been thinking about some sort of small cheap saw to keep on the truck.
This thing is bulkier than I wanted, but started right up with the gas that was in it, and I know for sure it hasn't been started for over 90 days, soooo the price was right I think. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

dougand3

Yeah, you made out like a bandit.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sawguy21

Those are the best kind.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

Nothing better than a free McC.  Is it a 10-10?  them are good saws.  Nice score!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

petefrom bearswamp

to paraphrase Gordon Gecko, free, for lack of a better word, is good.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GAB

My experience with a Mcculloch saw is such that I would not take it even if given to me wraped with a fifty $ bill.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

IndianaJoe

mac's make good boat anchors :D :D :D :D

sawguy21

I would not pay for one either but it's free and it runs, what more can he ask?  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

martyinmi

I love my old Macs!
I took my 850, 700, and Titan 35, along with my XL923 Homelite over to my folk's home on Saturday to cut down 7 mature pine trees and a basswood that they wanted removed.
The biggest pine was 23" and the bass was 22".
Three of us brothers showed up, along with our sons and a few of our daughter's husbands, as well as a few grandkids.
The younger guys had never ran anything bigger than a 290 Stihl, so they were thoroughly impressed with the 850 and the 923. The 923 has a 25" b/c, so I felled all the trees with it. The 850 has a 20" bar, so it handled the majority of the larger bucking.
It's entertaining to watch the facial expressions of the young bucks with their 290, a couple 026's, ms250, and 55cc husky, as I came tooling up with my old junk. They genuinely believed that their newer stuff would cut with my old iron.
In a 20" log, my 850 and 923 were making nearly 2 cuts to the 290 and the Husky's one. :o
My woods ported/muffler modded Titan was running away from the 026's and the 250.
I ended up taking home just over 3 full cords of wood that'll be just right for burning in winter '17/'18.
My mom made a huge pot of beef stew and several dozen cookies for all of us workers. What a great afternoon of bonding. Four generations were there.
The younger generation now has an appreciation for the technology from yesteryear. :)

Again, I love my old Mac's! 8)

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

mad murdock

Not a real fair comparison, those macs and old homey of yours were way more cc than the plastic fantasic creamsicles.  Kind of like having a "sleeper" rat rod with a big block race from a dead stop in a straight line contest against the newer over square 4 banger toyotas and hondas of today ;D those poor unsuspecting yunguns were not even aware of what they were comparing to 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

:D Many a young buck has been surprised  by the old yellow saws and some of the red ones too .

The 850 Marty mentioned will hang with any 80 cc saw made today.Might not out run them but it will be close in a days work .

petefrom bearswamp

Nothing wrong with old machinery.
Those old saws are Light as a feather too eh? TIC
Pine and Basswood firewood, you must be desperate.
The bonding and stew and cookies sound great.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

martyinmi

I fully disclosed to my young relatives just how many cc's the bigger saws are. They kinda smirked at me and my saws.
In their minds, my old stuff was comparable to a Ford 9n, whereas theirs were (in their minds anyway) comparable to a John Deere 9630. :o

As far as the quality of the firewood goes, my outdoor wood boiler is a gasifier(Portage and Main Optimizer 250), so the smoke-ier, tar-ier, and pine-ier the wood, the better. Soft woods like Bass and Willow will still get me 24 hour burns in the coldest weather. I did very little work on Saturday. I knocked the trees down, showed the young tykes how to operate my old stuff, then went about sharpening chains every time someone hit a rock. They heaped my pickup full of wood, as well as my brother-in-law's dump trailer. The only work I did was pitching about 3/4 cord of pine off my pickup. ;D

Had a great conversation in my dads basement (dad has a vise on his work bench down there) with my favorite nephew about God and family as I taught him how to sharpen a couple chains from his Stihl 250. You can't buy the way that makes you feel! 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

That weight thing is often misunderstood .Old gear drive Macs weighed a ton and were slow .Not so the piston ported .

For example take tree models of saws .Mac 850,Husqvarna 281 and Stihl 046 .They all weigh within 1 pound of each other and in stock form cut just about the same .The Stihl and Husky might have the edge until the wood gets about say 24-30 inch then it's pretty much even up .

Same with four  large saws .Mac 125,Husky 2100 and Stihl 084 Homelite 2100 S .The Husky and Stihl have the edge but not by much and all 4 are within a pound and a half with each other .

DelawhereJoe

I was just given a poulan wild thing, funny little thing runs an 18" 3/8 lp full skip chain, with the anti kickback straps.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sablatnic

I got a free one the other day, a Husqvarna 242. Absolutely a keeper!!

CTYank

About a year back, guys I volunteer with were given a Homie 150, in a real sorry state. Of course, they just handed it along to me. Took a while to scrape off the accumulated oil & sawdust inside the case, and put cutting edges on the chain. Maybe a couple hours, but just not all at once on the chain. Easy with the grinder.

A duckbill valve for the tank, a spark-arrester screen and bucking spikes, a three-shoe clutch, and it often gets the call when I've to pack a saw a distance into the woods. Nine pounds and change PHO. Easily outworked a bud's 250- refurbed a 150 for him. They're mules. (He sold the 250 cheap.)

So, yeah, it was built circa '72, was treated like poo by an idiot. Could easily outlive me, with care.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!