iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawyer & Austin Lumber Company

Started by slind, August 08, 2005, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slind

The post from Sherwood with the hammer stamp from this company brought me here.

If anyone has material or photgraphs of any sort from the Sawyer & Austin Company based in Lacrosse Wisconsin and Pine Bluff Arkansas I would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks!

slind

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Stick around and chat some. Sounds like you have some very interesting 'interests' that we hope to hear about, as you will hear about ours in the meantime. Don't let any one (or more) post scare you away just because it isn't quite understandable. Its understanding will improve over time. :)

Are you collecting stamps? 
What info do you already have indicating this company was in LaCrosse and Pine Bluff?  (Thanks for the reminder, as I need to contact LaCrosse today to book a room for a couple days in late October).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sherwood

From the book "LaCrosse County Historical Sketches" page 99: Sawyer & Austin Lumber Company was owned by A. E. Sawyer and David Austin.  They bought out the mill of R. M. Mooer in 1882.  A new mill was built by Sawyer & Austin in 1885 and closed in 1899.  The company moved to Arkansas after closing.
The company did extensive logging in Clark County, WI, floating logs down Black River and it's tributaries to Onalaska, WI.
In 1881 the estimated log crop of Sawyer & Austin on the main Black River and tributaries was 12,000,000 board feet of lumber.

Neillsville Republican & Press newspaper - Dec. 27th, 1878 - STRAY OXEN Strayed from the camp of the subscribers, near City Point, Jackson County, Wisc., one yoke of medium sized oxen, one dark red and the other white spotted.  Both branded S x A (Sawyer & Austin mark) on horns.  They strayed away about the 15th of last July.  Anyone who will return said oxen or give information of their whereabouts will be liberally rewarded.  F. R. CHAPMAN & SON.

There is a photo at UW Murphy Library at LaCrosse of a camp of Sawyer & Austin taken near Black River Falls.  You may be able to purchase a copy of the photo there.  It is located in a file , lumbering camp crews #2, negative # 176.  It is titled "Black River Falls operation of Sawyer and Austin Mills, who had a mill at LaCrosse Circa 1885".

You may want to contact the Forest History Association of Wisconsin, Inc..  They send out four newsletters per year to members, and are a great organization.  They are/were based out of Marinette, WI.
Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

Thank You Sponsors!