iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dutch oven prime rib and a barrel stove

Started by Crossroads, December 25, 2018, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

It's to cold outside to cook with the DO so I parked it in the shop next to the barrel stove 👍🏻 

Also, made a quick video this morning. Most of the trees in the beginning of the video will be coming down this spring to open up the view. 

https://youtu.be/VXhnv6srJmI
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Mad Professor

I never tried cooking a rib in my dutch oven.  Will have to put that on the to do list.

Were you getting the coals from the woodstove  for the dutch oven?

Crossroads

No, I went ahead and used briquettes thinking I could control the heat better. Our meat thermometer is in storage, so I figured 2 1/2-3 hours at about 350 would be med. rare. Ended up well done, but I guess the wife can have one done the way she likes it every 10 years or so lol

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Kwill

I've never cooked in one of those but I heard it works good. Saw one go pretty high at a auction a week or  so ago
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Crossroads

Quote from: Kwill on December 25, 2018, 08:13:20 PM
I've never cooked in one of those but I heard it works good. Saw one go pretty high at a auction a week or  so ago
Keep an eye on the Facebook marketplace, I see them pretty reasonable sometimes. I enjoy cooking with my DO's but it is a bit time consuming. Except for a chicken quarter recipe I do on hunting trip. I dig a hole and build a fire, after it burns down dig out about half the coals. Drop in the DO and cover it with coals, then bury for 5-6 hours. It will be perfectly done and nice n hot. 

Mad Professor

Quote from: Crossroads on December 25, 2018, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: Kwill on December 25, 2018, 08:13:20 PM
I've never cooked in one of those but I heard it works good. Saw one go pretty high at a auction a week or  so ago
Keep an eye on the Facebook marketplace, I see them pretty reasonable sometimes. I enjoy cooking with my DO's but it is a bit time consuming. Except for a chicken quarter recipe I do on hunting trip. I dig a hole and build a fire, after it burns down dig out about half the coals. Drop in the DO and cover it with coals, then bury for 5-6 hours. It will be perfectly done and nice n hot.
That method works great for homemade baked beans.
From E. N. Woodcock "Fifty years a hunter and trapper"
Say, boys, the question of pork and beans leads me to ask how
many of you who have a fireplace in your camp have a bean hole?
Now, Bill and I had one in our camp, and I tell you we thought it
fine and we did it in this way. We dug a hole in one corner of
the fireplace about two and a half feet deep and about eighteen
inches in diameter, using the regular old style of bake kettle. This
is merely an iron pot, with a close fitting flange lid so as to seclude
all dust and ashes, and we used it in this way. We would first
rake a good lot of live coals from the fireplace into the bean hole,
having the beans already in the kettle. Then we would put the
kettle down in the hole and rake the hole full of live embers, being
careful to cover the hole over with plenty of ashes.
We prepared the beans about in this fashion: After washing
we soaked them for about twelve hours. The water was drained
off and the beans were then put into the kettle with the necessary
trimmings, which consisted of a good chunk of pork put in the
center of the beans, and two or three smaller pieces laid on top, a
pinch of salt providing that the pork was not sufticiently salty.
A spoonful of brown sugar or rather a little baking molasses and
a little pepper. Now this kettle was allowed to remain three or
four days in the hole without disturbing farther than to cover
over occasionally with hot embers. You ask if beans are good
baked this way—we guess yes. We have heard a great deal about
the famous Boston baked beans, but we wish to say that they are
not in it compared to beans baked in a bean hole.

TimRB

Quote from: Crossroads on December 25, 2018, 08:02:10 PM
No, I went ahead and used briquettes thinking I could control the heat better. lol
Don't briquettes give off CO?  I keep reading that one should never BBQ indoors because of it.
Tim

Darrel

After eating bean hole beans you will never be truly satisfied with beans cooked any other way.  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Quote from: TimRB on December 26, 2018, 05:58:22 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on December 25, 2018, 08:02:10 PM
No, I went ahead and used briquettes thinking I could control the heat better. lol
Don't briquettes give off CO?  I keep reading that one should never BBQ indoors because of it.
Tim
Yes they do, I had a co detector about 10' away and it went of once, so I had to fan the door and leave it open for a while. 

Old Greenhorn

I have cooked a ton of stuff in a dutch oven over the years, pies, cobblers, beef stew, etc. I have 3 or 4 myself and my wife has one in the kitchen too (no lip on the lid). I don't think I have ever done ribs. Good idea to try. The most memorable for me was when I bought one of them new fancy aluminum ones for my Dad for his birthday. We were camping on his birthday weekend and I planned to surprise him by baking an angel food cake in it and giving him the cake and his oven for his birthday. Did I mention it was Washington's Birthday weekend? (Yes, that's in February) It was about 15 below, and yes, we were camping in tents. I think I was about 17 at the time, so this would have to be around 1973. Well I bought him the aluminum one because I thought it was different and 'new technology' and a whole lot lighter to take camping. What I didn't know at that point in my creative culinary development was that aluminum just SUCKS to cook on. Hots spots, no even heat distribution, cold spots, and fast heat transfer. So MOST of the cake came out OK, the whipped cream was pretty frozen (OK, like quartz hard, maybe a little harder, hard to tell) and we had to throw the strawberry's in a skillet before we could dump them over the cake (which was a neat improvement widely commented on, hot (semi charred) strawberry's on a luke warm cake tasted pretty good given the ambient conditions). No big deal, it WAS February, and we were used to such things. But it was a great weekend anyway. ( I do clearly recall that it was so cold that if you put your steaming coffee cup down long enough to eat your dinner, it was frozen solid when you picked it back up.) It did take me two hours to clean that *danged oven out when we got home. I started with a stiff putty knife and worked on down, went through nearly a whole box of Brillo. Wished I had a sand blaster. To this day I have NEVER bought another aluminum pot except for a coffee pot.
Dad passed away at 96, just 3 years ago. I miss him every day. Thanks for dredging up that memory I had not thought of in a very long time.
But my question is, why are we talking about dutch ovens in the sawmill forum, shouldn't that be in the food section? Hope you had a great Christmas, your place looks super! Keep on pluggin'
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

Hi Tom, I'm glad to have stirred some find memories. I didn't even realize there was a food section on this forum, the sawmill place is where I hang out. I guess I need to get out once in a while lol  Christmas was good, thank you. I hope you had a nice Christmas as well. 

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!