iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The fastest cutting chain

Started by magic, January 26, 2004, 11:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

Hey guys, I just wanted to see what everyone thought was the fastest cutting chain on the market.  I'm sure there will be different ones but I just wanted to know some experiences and opinions.  If you are going to buy a chain you might as well get the one that cuts the best right?  :)Thanks

Mark M

Hi Magic

Chisel chains cut fastest but they dull easily if you are cutting dirty stuff. I've never tried a square chisel as special equipment and or skills are required to shapen them. Semi-chisel or chipper chains are better if the wood is dirty but they don't cut as fast (chipper is slowest but most durable). I did not know this until just recently. I have been buying chisel chains and find that they dull after only a few cuts. I just found out about the other types and their applications after doing some reading. About 20 years ago we always used chipper chains and got them from the same guy. Just told him I needed a chain and that is what I got. I don't even know if they had the round chisel chains back then.

Mark

oldsaw-addict

The fastest cutting chains are the ones that are suitable for the conditions in which you are cutting and sharp. in other words, a semi chisel chain in dirty conditions, a full chisel chain in clean, and so on. but the main thing is that it MUST be sharp.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SasquatchMan

Stihl Rapid Super.

It cuts even better than the safety chain on my electric poulan.

Senior Member?  That's funny.

Oregon_Rob

Ok, Here it is. Although there are many different manufactures of chain and many do things slightly different with respect to kick back control...., there are three basic types of chain. You asked for the fasted (commercially available).
1.      Fastest cutting is Square ground chisel chain such as the Oregon  CJ & CK. This chain is sharpened with a square, not round file and is not something most, non professional folks mess with.
2.      Next fastest is round filed, chisel chain. This is the mainstay of the chainsaw world. Examples include Oregon type LG & JG. The sharpening of this chain is not overly difficult and should be achievable with a little practice.
3.      Lastly is Semi-chisel, example being Oregon DP or DJ. As has already been said, this type doesn't cut quite as fast, but also takes more abuse before it requires sharpening.

One of the best things I did was request the Oregon chain manual from Oregon cutting systems. It is a pocket sized, booklet that has all the basics about chains, sprockets, bars... And it's free.  It can also be downloaded in PDF format and is about 3.5 Meg in size.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!