iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modern practice of huge slash piles

Started by livemusic, April 19, 2024, 07:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Instead of letting slash just lay where it falls, I now see loggers create huge slash piles that serve several acres. Why do they do this? What is the thinking behind this new technique? Because slash inhibits replanting? To suppress fires? I am curious about this because it seems to quash the idea that slash nourishes the forest floor. In these huge piles, it only nourishes that pile's spot. And will take many a year to rot. I don't see them burning them. These huge piles are in tracts that are replanted with pine.
~~~
Bill

Magicman

I attended our County Forestry Field Day this past Saturday and one of the topics was our outbreak of the various Pine Beetles.  Slash piles create and environment for Ips Beetle to nest and hatch so any slash should never be piled but rather be scattered and "chewed" down and partially buried by equipment tires and tracks.  The alternative would be to burn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rusticretreater

I was wondering if they gathered the wood and treated it with something like borax as part of a program to fight the beetles.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

beenthere

Large piles with the intention to burn may have several objectives. Clearing the land for crops or housing development may be a couple of them, as well as the bug objective. Another may be forest fire control. 

Certainly is expensive, so likely have a good reason. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

livemusic

The making-big-piles that I mentioned is on tracts that are replanted in pine. Around here, my whole life, until the past few years, they have simply left slash where it lay where the tree was felled. Now, they are going through the expense of gathering every top and making a huge pile. I see this quite a bit now. I will ask a logger friend when I see him. The reason it has caught my eye is due to the size of these piles, you can't miss them, and it made me think that they sure did go to a lot of trouble to do that! (And expense.) So, it certainly has a purpose, 'cause it's costing somebody time and money to do it.
~~~
Bill

beenthere

Depends on the equipment and the logging operation. If the trees are dropped and dragged to a landing for processing, then the tops end up at that landing. Some operations return the tops (slash) back to the woods. Some may simply leave them there and burn the pile. 
Stop by and talk to someone, as the story and reason why may come to light. I've watched harvesting and clearing videos that will do both, or variations of both. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Are these piles, or could they be building 'slash walls'? These began as an experiment back in 2017 by Cornell and have turned out to greatly enhance hardwood reforestation after a harvest but keep the deer out. Usually enclosing several acres with gates for access they are expensive to build but the regeneration is amazing. Look up "Arnot Forest' to see photos, videos, and progress reports. It seems to be economically viable based on increased productivity. 
 I sometimes pile slash on smaller properties to create habitat for the little critters, but just like habitat trees, you don't need many.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Riwaka

Forestry slash is an ongoing topic in NZ. 

Azwood - slash management on slopes, Nelson , NZ
https://youtu.be/M0W1CryEzvc?si=JL73Nm_yBv4K4Ypc

Azwood - environmental compliance with slash management
https://youtu.be/dL9vpF73ChM?si=2uJpIzSXALqGClS2

Binwood.... appears to be a poor forest, probably did not buy or were unable to buy quality seedlings during a big planting phase. Loggers cream the better logs and leave the rest.

https://youtu.be/hTkrLy4XRYY?si=wFlRsSMvZ6TxDx_7

Magicman

Slash left behind could impact the replanting operation.  Hoedad hand planting would be one thing but machine planting would be quite another.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BargeMonkey

80% of the jobs I cut are private wood, they don't want the mess, I've done 5-6 where I walk the stroker in the woods, make 1 large pile to rot. The critters like them, takes 5-6yrs for the piles to really fall down. They are cracking down on burning here, I've got 3-4 large piles that need to disappear after the ban is off on a WET day. I don't wanna incriminate myself posting pictures but I've set off a few piles that where 15'+ tall, stroker stacked, and 2-3 ACRE'S in size, pile the brush on a 90 acre hammer job, I do not recommend it. We called it in, had no issues till the sun went down, people in the next county over where calling it in 🤦.

Southside

I touched off a pile like that one time, had a D6 parked right there. Local PD from the next town over showed up and told me they got a call of a "mushroom cloud"....  oops... ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Slash piles are usually from road side stroke delimbers around here. At one time they burnt them in the fall. That ended 30 years ago. These days it's often hauled back with a grapple skidder. Pretty clean blocks by the time I come around with a clearing saw. I would suppose light slash when planting. The only problem I have is blowdowns. Those old 10 year dead fall fir are like stepping on something solid, except your foot goes right down through it. Not to worry, I just walk around, not through these days. But still a pain. I've been on blocks where the green strips between the trails are full of dead wood. Lovely stuff. ffcheesy Spruce and hemlock stay solid a lot longer, so walking around those for sure.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: Riwaka on April 20, 2024, 06:53:37 AMForestry slash is an ongoing topic in NZ. 
Really came to a head up in the Nth Island East Coast. Hilly terrain, and then only flat ground for a landing was on the river flats. Now ideally the waste would soon rot down into compost, and no problem. Except the they get cyclones every couple of years, and the river flats flood, and carries all that debris down the river. Now it's taking out bridges and ending up on peoples farms. 

So yeah, they need a better plan. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!