iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill menagerie.

Started by Dave Shepard, May 27, 2019, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

After reviewing some of the night time photos, I've found a raccoon, a gray blob with glowing eyes,  :D and several more small bears. Never knew sawmills were a wildlife destination. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

The bears are really pushing things around here these days. They are carrying bags of grain away for snacking purposes in the middle of the day. I actually see a bear about every three weeks, and get game cam shots almost weekly.

Checked the camera this evening and found my mowing crew hard at work.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brad_bb

He's watching his buddy that he dared to stick his tongue to a frozen pole.  Fire truck arriving....
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dustintheblood

We get all kinds of wildlife, but the funniest is the talking border collie.  He howls the entire time I saw, begging me to throw sticks.   He's a bit ticked off these days cause the mill's so clean and tidy there aren't many sticks anymore to throw him.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Mad Professor

>

These are a few years old. 

Small bobcat looking inside house from the deck. He was visiting squrriels at the bird feeder

The fisher, bear, and other bobcat are all really large males. 

All about 30 miles north of Dave's location.

South02

I have been seeing a lot of these this year around my mill and around the lumber stacks.

nativewolf

He's after the mice so keep the foodstuffs away from the mill and garbage picked up.  Mice traps help too.  A barnyard cat can keep things a bit better off too.  Black racers are welcome, copperheads are the only bad snakes I have to worry about in N VA.

The pics of the bobcats are awesome.  Wish we had more here.
Liking Walnut

Dave Shepard

Great pictures! I've seen fisher cats a few times, but they are moving out way too fast to get the phone out. 

Caught in the act. 

nativewolf

Just cleaning up after you left those bags in the yard, you litterer.   :D
Liking Walnut

WDH

South02's pic is not a black racer.  It is a cottonmouth moccasin. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

Quote from: South02 on July 28, 2019, 09:51:49 PM

I have been seeing a lot of these this year around my mill and around the lumber stacks.

They do seem to like lumber stacks , and log piles , too. When the swamps fill with water they move to the " hill " (i.e. the mill ). We kill several each year , about half get away.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on July 29, 2019, 07:33:44 AM
South02's pic is not a black racer.  It is a cottonmouth moccasin.
Yes I know him very very well, grew up in Wilmington NC and canoed every blackwater river in SE NC.  The highest number of cottonmouths I've ever seen is brackish swamps on the sound side of the outerbanks.  Holy cow, everywhere.  Kept me in the canoe.
Liking Walnut

Dave Shepard

The daily bear.

I'm worried that there are going to be a lot of bears shot for becoming a nuisance. They are more and more brazen all the time.

sawguy21

I have not yet seen a bear this year but there was a calling card on the sidewalk across the street this morning. They are getting quite brazen, once habituated they have to be put down as relocating doesn't seem to work. The animal rights people get wound up though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

At least no 2 legged ones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Most of the bears spotted in this area are/were nuisance bears that were live-trapped in New Jersey and released in the Catskills and the Adirondacks!

Now they're nuisance bears here because they don't show much fear of humans!

Bear hunting was outlawed in NJ several years ago!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

nativewolf

I keep imagine the bears wandering around the stickered lumber thinking " wonder if I could use these air dried boards to build a hibernation hut or if I need kiln dried...maybe I could ask that human there with the saw...or maybe he looks tasty..decisions decisions"
Liking Walnut

John S

Bear hunting in NJ was just re-outlawed this past year!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Dave Shepard

Sixty news bear cam photos today. Electric fence going in tomorrow. 

nativewolf

See, he wants to build a house right there.  Squatters, worse than beggars.   :D

I really enjoy all the pics, thanks for taking the time to post them!
Liking Walnut

doc henderson

In Ks you can kill an animal if it is destroying property, even out of hunting season.  farmers can get permits for deer destroying crops, and open season on coyotes.  Sadly if the bear has gotten food he may need to be destroyed.  "a fed bear is a dead bear" stated at Philmont so boys understand to keep food put away.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Something visited my woods, and left scratch marks on a small building at my relatives hunting camp.
I need to get a game camera! :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

charles mann

Quote from: doc henderson on August 01, 2019, 08:55:47 AM
In Ks you can kill an animal if it is destroying property, even out of hunting season.  farmers can get permits for deer destroying crops, and open season on coyotes.  Sadly if the bear has gotten food he may need to be destroyed.  "a fed bear is a dead bear" stated at Philmont so boys understand to keep food put away.
but do you have to leave the lay, or call the warden so they can recover the meat and donate it to a church or needy family? in tx, that is the what is required if you have to kill an animal, especially a game animal, leave it lay, or contact them so they collect and donate. 
when i was stationed in ks, my roommate was able to get land owner tags for their property in scandia and we took our fare share. i tagged out on my own license, 1 buck and 6 doe, then we started on the land owner tags. deer were even coming onto their land, rummaging around the silos for food, especially in the winter. we killed 14 that year. sad part is, he has hunted his whole life and didn't know how to skin a deer. i skinned 1 on the ground, in the snow while 2 of them worked on 1 hanging and i still had to finish it up and we skinned the next 4. well, i skinned the next 4 while they smoked and joked. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

doc henderson

you can get permits in advance, or shoot in a crisis moment then in theory call it in.  they keep lists but often you can choose to keep it or donate it.  in the country I am sure many never get called in.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!