iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain gauge

Started by tony_marks, November 22, 2002, 05:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony_marks

hey fellas ,im tony marks and am glad to be here.
 my question is about gauge . i have 3 saws in the 50 cc range and the stihl 028is the only one with 63. i recently purchased an solo 667 at 69 cc. im thinking it has .50 gauge. this is my first saw of that size and im a little concerned with the chain holding togather.. ive never had any trouble with this but ive never had a powerhead this big either. i dont need it in the neck or where ever..
 thanks a head of time. :)

Seth

Tony
 50 gauge will hold,I have ran it on 066's with no trouble.I run Carltons A1 3/8 50 gauge on my 034 and 044 and have even ran it on my 120cc 22hp 088KD with no failure.Seth

Kevin

Tony,
I agree with Seth,  .050 will serve you well.

Tom

I looked at that picture of Seth's and my mind read "Ethyl" instead of Stihl.  I was going to say something about Seth naming his saws and, in a split second, realized my error.  Kind of a neat concept though, eh Seth?   Have you named any of your saws? :D

Kevin

Tom, fess up.
Who is "Ethyl" , and why does she remind you of a chainsaw?   :D

Tom

Ethyl was one "high testy" babe,  a real rip snorter, rippem-up but full of gas. :-/ :D

tony_marks

thanks for the input fellas. i just didnt want to wear a saw chain as a necklace, when i go thru the pearly gates. :) i work solo so im careful, but wasnt sure about this issue. thanks again.
 course theys nothin ever really sure doing his type work is there.
 cept u sure better be careful.

Kevin

I use a .050 for milling and it holds up well.
If you break a chain it will usually come off the bar and fly out in front of you or down across the chainsaw chaps that everyone here wears. ::)

tony_marks

this aint good but i see very few chaps around here.
 think im going that route tho. ive hit my left leg many times and never really got hurt. mite be a different story with this bigger saw.
 my experience is when im tired enough that the follow thru gets to my leg its past time to quit.ill be looking for a good set ,nothin fancy just enough to give the protection i need.
ps i have witnessed a saw cut. it opened it up pretty good ,and the strange thing is it took a while to start bleeding.turned out to be a serious injury.

Tom

Yeah, and what a lot of people don't think about is that it cuts a trough that doesn't close up too good.   It looks just like the kerf it puts in a log but it doesn't take nearly as long.

When a chainsaw wound heals, if you're lucky, you're skin is a quarter of an inch shorter.  If you get a bone,  then so are you. :-/

I've been touched and know.  Hopefully never again, nor ever seriously.

cluckerplucker

speaking of chains can anybody tell me what degree angle to put on a chain to make it rip for a chainsaw mill?  Thanks cecil
cecil

Kevin

If you're talking top plate it`s 0 to 10 degrees.

Thank You Sponsors!