iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

google sketchup

Started by Ole CB, December 13, 2009, 06:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole CB

As a newbie in here, I know there are several zillion posts for me to catch up with, but I did see one that made me think I have a good answer to! I have not seen anyother post abt the drawing programs in here. 

Google Sketchup is a free DL and free to use. (You can buy a pro version) I've used the free version for over a year and have designed several buildings(sheds), a house and a machine with it. They even have videos you can watch to reduce the very small learning curve.

Here's the DL link for it! http://sketchup.google.com/download/gsu.html  If you need help with drawings, I'll do my best to be of service.

ed

T Red

Can you post a picture of something you've drawn?

I tried it out a few weeks ago.  I think it has a lot of potential.  I might still use it for quick drawings for the beginning of a project.  But I ended up buying ArchiCad for my business. 

Tim

Ole CB

Quote from: T Red on December 13, 2009, 06:31:05 PM
Can you post a picture of something you've drawn?

I tried it out a few weeks ago.  I think it has a lot of potential.  I might still use it for quick drawings for the beginning of a project.  But I ended up buying ArchiCad for my business. 

Here you R.

Larry

We moved from that frozen, snow covered area few years ago.  Had a farm and the sawmill south of town near Rushville.

Welcome Ole CB...this is a rite nice place ya picked.

This is the sketchup model for the house I'm building now.  Ready to put the brick/rock on and just about have nuff cedar sawed for the deck.  When I built my house in Rushville had $7,000 architect fees...this house no architect, no fees, but I work cheap.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ole CB

Thanks Larry,

I'd like to move South..  I also wish you still had a mill in Rushville. We have a bunch of walnut to cut up here right now. Seems like I'll be spending alot of time right in here.. Learning a new trade..

I know what you mean abt the drawing fees...  I drew the house shown for a couple thinking I would  get to build the house. They've gone to someone else for plans and bids and I might be out. I did get better with Sketchu tho.. so not a total loss! I can't wait to see finished pics of your place!

These are pretty nice digs..  Good people too!

ed

Larry

Walnut was my favorite to saw...sold green to American, Midwest, and couple other places. 

Hardly anybody doing custom sawing up that way...if your hunting for somebody go to the old apple barn in Wathena and ask for Marty or one of his boys.  Might know couple more but they were even older than me when I left. :o :o :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

VictorH

Welcome Ole CB.  I'm new here too, even newer to sawing.  I'm in Falls City NE  - about 55 miles from St. Joe.  I would be willing to cut stuff for you at cost (blades and gas) for the experience, if you want to take a chance using a newbie.  Won't be offended if you don't either.  Again - welcome

VictorH

Ole CB

Victor,

We are open to abt anything right now. We do have a very small band saw ordered and should get it this week. The logs are NOT sawn and ready to mill at this time. We were going to trim them and drag them into piles. It will be the blind leading the blind if we do ths!

Thanks,

ed

Jasperfield

I am now actively looking for "Live" Sketchup classes to attend in 2010.

I've used AutoCad professionally since 1989, and now want to become familiar with Sketchup.

shaworth

Quote from: Jasperfield on December 14, 2009, 11:28:58 PM
I am now actively looking for "Live" Sketchup classes to attend in 2010.

I've used AutoCad professionally since 1989, and now want to become familiar with Sketchup.

I learned sketch-up watching youtube videos. 
Dremel tool, X-Acto knife, Sherline 5400 CNC mill

Ole CB

Jasperfield,

Sketchup has how to videos for most everything that you can do with it in their help pages.  I don't know anything about the professional CAD programs. I was running with SU in no time at all. I can't seem to break it, like I do everthin else!

ed

Jasperfield

I have satellite internet where I live, and it's fairly slow. I'd prefer to attend a class but may have to use the online instruction.

woodsteach

Jasper,

I've used AutoCAD since 1986 as a soph. in high school and my last version was maybe 2003 or something like it. 

I've messed around with other so called CAD programs and disliked all.  Was very impressed with Sketchup and the ease of learning it.  I believe that if you give it a go you will get along just fine.

woodsteach (also taught drafting for 10 years)
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!