iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which way to go??

Started by Ole CB, April 12, 2011, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole CB

We'd like opinions on what we should go with.

To explain, we have a small portable LumberSmith mill. We want to build a small timber framed shed, siding and all, for storing the mill, some tools and the walnut boards we'll get! (More hobby than anything!)

We have the second cuttings from 91 walnut trees down and all over the place here. Also we have quite a few 20"+dia standing ash and locust trees.

Which would YOU use to build the shed? We don't really expect to sell much of the walnut, but as we open it up, it seems to pretty to use as a shed! My brother and I are both carpenters and do make quite a few hand crafted items.

tyb525

I'd use the ash for the majority, and use locust for anything that might see weather or moisture. However, I've heard ash can be very tough to work with when doing timber framing.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

Use the Locust for anything that might come in contact with the ground.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Ole CB on April 12, 2011, 09:39:30 AM
  Also we have quite a few 20"+dia standing ash and locust trees.

Are those Honey or Black Locust?  If Black Locust, use it for ground contact (all bark removed) and the siding.  Ash for everything else.  The Ash could also be used for siding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ole CB

Thanks.. I believe it is black locust. We will use it for posts and beams. The ash will be the joists and siding.

backwoods sawyer

A few pieces of walnut might just give the accents that will make it a one of a kind shed. ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

As with most hardwoods used for construction best to nail up green before they get too hard to nail and all splitty. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!