iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central/Northern Ontario Loggers?

Started by realzed, February 17, 2018, 03:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

I live in Sudbury Ontario and having trouble trying to find anyone reliable and close to me who sells and delivers hardwood logs in the region.  I'm trying to buy a decently priced large truckload of clean hardwood fire logs - mainly oak and maple to keep me occupied over this Summer bucking up and splitting enough wood to do me for a few years down the road.. as well as possibly doing the same next Spring / Summer again!
I know this is mainly a US based site - but are there any of you from Canada and specifically Ontario on here who either does this or may know someone who does and would care to pass contact info along? 
It pretty much has to be a person or business in Central to Northen Ontario (Parry Sound and Northwards) to make the cost of delivery reasonable.
Any leads or information is much appreciated!
Thx - Randy

Grizzly

Out here I called the sawmill who put me in touch with the controlling forestry service and I had access to all the wood I needed. How are the woodlands controlled there? Here the truckers and loggers have nothing involved with ownership of the wood.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

realzed

I have no equipment to handle logs 20 or so feet long nor stuff that could allow me to handle even shorter ones for that matter.
Most of Ontario's forest lands are controlled as Crown Land if not owned privately or licensed out for logging companies from what I know.  I would imagine that the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) is the body that controls all access to Crown Land and/or usage of it and thus the rights to log on it, but that I'm not totally sure of.
Either way getting involved with any government organization here in Ontario is probably easily the most frustrating thing anyone could possibly do - be it just calling for information or actually requiring help in any way.
R..   

Skidder Kev

Not sure how it is in parry sound but maybe try to contact a local forester?   I think grizzly is right try to get ahold of a hard wood mill and see if there crews sell firewood.  I'm sorry I can't help you with names but I'm in southern ontario and don't do any work up that way. 

realzed

DaleK

Call the planing mill in South River or Trout Creek or another mill in the area and ask for names.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

realzed

Quote from: DaleK on February 20, 2018, 09:32:19 PM
Call the planing mill in South River or Trout Creek or another mill in the area and ask for names.
Thanks Dale - I may give that a try!

jmur1

Hi realzed
I'm from Guelph and I have used kijiji:
Found some decent prices for double trailer loads ~ 18 footers ash and maple and beech

Logs Hardwood Parry Sound | Kijiji in Ontario. - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds.

jmur1
Easy does it

realzed

Quote from: jmur1 on February 21, 2018, 10:22:17 AM
Hi realzed
I'm from Guelph and I have used kijiji:
Found some decent prices for double trailer loads ~ 18 footers ash and maple and beech

Logs Hardwood Parry Sound | Kijiji in Ontario. - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds.

jmur1
Thanks for your reply - I too have looked at some Kijiji ads and will be trying to see if any of those listings are from people who will deliver to me here in Sudbury without too much of a premium when it comes to mileage costs.. 
Without actually getting some feedback from someone who has purchased wood from a particular person or business  - it is sort of a leap of faith when it comes to buying at such a distance though, when it comes to quality or amount of wood delivered!
Thx again - Randy 

hamish

How much are you willing to pay for a load?  Most loads go from $900 to $1200 which includes $300 in trucking already, normally one hours worth of road time (ie 30 min there 30 minutes back), excess road time fees are normally $250-300 and hour.............
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

realzed

How much???  That depends on a lot of factors like wood type, size, and cleanliness and size of load in face-cord volumes..
The prices you mention are for what size of load?
I've seen prices roughly $2000-$3000 for a double load of logs that apparently works out to around 40-44 face-cords - and a single loads in the 20-22 fc amounts in the $1100-$1500 range..
None of those were specific quotes to me though - just as advertised on Kijiji or elsewhere.. so you can be sure they would find circumstances to be higher as it's just nature to low ball prices to attract interested buyers.
Then there will soon (usually by mid March) be issues with half loading bylaws all over Ontario and that usually lasts until at least mid May or so to complicate matters and timing, as well.

r.man

Half loads will soon stop most log movement here for a while. I am in Haliburton county just barely below Algonquin park. A tandem load here is 900 even and most sellers will guarantee 18 face at least in a load. I have always relied on word of mouth for who is reasonable, I would start asking at mills, other businesses or amongst friends. I would also be wary about dirty loads due to odd weather this year. Lots of spring creeks have opened already and we have lost our snow for the second time this year.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

realzed

Yup -Thanks r... I still haven't found much close to me but have a few leads to follow up on this coming week..  As you imply the quality and cleanliness does make a great difference - cheap loads that are so dirty or problematic to cut up basically double up the cost and trouble to process - and end up being a poorer value than a load twice the initial price for decent stuff.
I thought initially that something like this would be an easy purchase since I always pass logging trucks on all of our highways around the North here - but as I'm finding out it is anything but a slam dunk - or easy!
Guess once you find a good source either by luck or word of mouth - it is something to be thankful for..

realzed

In response or as a question to comment(s) made about clean verses dirty wood - has anyone ever tried, found, or heard of anyone using a pressure washer on logs prior to bucking them up to try and get a lot of sand or mud off so chains will stay somewhat sharper - longer.. ? 
Just a passing thought as I have a pretty good one and it seemed to make some sense to me that you could blast a lot of crud off and dedicate some sharpening time to having a beer or 2 instead.. 

coxy

it works but its a pita  the last time i did dirty wood i used our fire truck and cranked up the pressure it almost debarked the wood  :D

hacknchop

Sent you a pm hope it helps I know they move wood to Espanola and cedar off of Manitoulin so should be able to work somethingout :)
Often wrong never indoubt

realzed

Thank You - I'll give them a try - much appreciated!

DDDfarmer

Can't help ya with that exotic southern Ontario wood.  I can get you contacts if you want spruce or tamarack, if they will drive that far south?  
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

realzed

I appreciate it Triple D, but I'm trying to get a load or two of mostly hardwood and intend to stay away from softwoods as much as I can... Thx - Randy

mrtwister

Norwood ML 26 Mill, Log Arch, Kioti DS4510HS Tractor with Grapple, Chainsaws: Dolmar 510, Husqvarna t435 arborist chainsaw, T-Rex walking beam trailer, CF Moto U-Force 500 UTV.

realzed

Got it - much appreciate the suggestion! 

Kproulx

Quote from: realzed on April 12, 2018, 06:14:56 PM
Got it - much appreciate the suggestion!
Did you have any luck finding firewood?  We have a supplier that we have used but he has been terrible to deal with this year...I am wondering if there are other options....

Thank You Sponsors!