iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame HQ bundle ?

Started by Dana Stanley, August 12, 2020, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

So I got a promo for Timber Frame HQ plan bundle. I took another look at it, and contacted them with some questions. I believe I got my answer, Although the offer give you a lot of resources in addition to a plan of your choice! You do only get one set of plans for one project. At least from what I can see that's the deal. (To build more than one of these structures you will need to purchase the plans separately or purchase another membership. )

Has anyone purchased this bundle, or plans from them? If so were you happy with what you got? 

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

bricecochran

Brice here with TFHQ...The plan bundle allows you to build one of each frame only once.  If you want to build one of the frames twice we ask that you either buy that plan individually or purchase the bundle again.  This is to protect the rights of the plans and avoid commercial abuse of the plans.
Look forward to seeing any feedback on the plan bundle overall.

Dana Stanley

Thanks for clarifying ; the way I read it it looked like I could only build one of the 55 plans.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

DOCatRU

Hi folks:

I purchased the bundle earlier this year.  I have admired timber framing ever since I saw the "This Old House" series in the 1980's. 

I was in the planning stages for building a "Pandemic Picnic Pavilion" for the backyard of our small farm in Vermont.  Since I have built furniture for 40 years I thought I would give this a try.

I wanted it to be a timber frame so the structure would match the construction of our 1773/1810 house and two barns (one a German style timber frame (1773) with hand-hewed beams.  The other a 1929 timber frame barn constructed of a mix of old, hand hewed beams and newer beams.) 

I saw the TFHQ bundle as a cost-effective way for me to explore a wide variety of options and choose the frame plan that would best suit my needs.  Now that I am almost through the project, I will likely use other plans from the bundle to build another structure on our property in the future.

EVALUATION
The plans are detailed.  They take some careful study and in my case a bit of modification:

• My frame is built with rough cut green hemlock, so the dimensions are true 8x8 and not the 7 1/2 of planed beams.

• I also am building with 8x10 tie beams and plates, rather than the 8x12's in the plans.   (I did check with a local architect/structural engineer for approval of this change).

One positive aspect is having the option for various roof pitches already drawn up. 

Brice did respond to questions I had about the plans and helped me understand aspects where I was confused.

I have had a fun time working on the project.  It is also been a great diversion from scraping our 1773/1810 farm house to bare wood and repainting (BTW, the vast majority of the clapboards are still

fastened with square nails).

I'm going to attach a couple of pictures.

Dana Stanley

Looks great, thanks for the feedback. I did buy the plan bundle.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Thank You Sponsors!