iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

larger planer

Started by xlogger, November 13, 2019, 05:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

If slabs are too big for me to plane, I just don't fool with them.  There has to be a limit.  I do get frequent calls on single slabs over 24" to 36" wide.  I just say, "sorry, I don't have any."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

No problem here I dont get calls for slabs.
Offered them on FB , craigs list and ebay for 20 to 70 bucks for from 13 to 22 inches wide and 8 to 13 ft long, no takers.
Mine are air dried, cherry and sugar maple
Worse comes to worse the Classic (OWB) will take them.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

xlogger

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 18, 2019, 12:58:59 PM
No problem here I dont get calls for slabs.
Offered them on FB , craigs list and ebay for 20 to 70 bucks for from 13 to 22 inches wide and 8 to 13 ft long, no takers.
Mine are air dried, cherry and sugar maple
Worse comes to worse the Classic (OWB) will take them.
Bring them down here I'll take them ;D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

Quote from: customsawyer on November 18, 2019, 03:25:03 AM
I have a 72" Slabmizer on the way.
When do you suppose to get it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

customsawyer

Not sure on the delivery time. Ordered it the end of Oct. and they said 4 weeks out. We all know how busy things are so I'm just trying to be patient.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tule peak timber

Did you get a chance to compare, look at, the Wood Wizz marketed by Baker? just curious
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

xlogger

Looks like they are both priced about the same. I was wondering that also.

tule peak timber

I stood and stared at the Baker for hours in LV wood show two years ago. I did not buy , but a very nice machine for sure.Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

I believe that they are the same, just different color. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

I looked real close at the Baker a few years ago. Wasn't in need of one at the time. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

flatrock58

Baker gets the Wood Wizz out of Australia.  In Australia Wood Wizz used to make a handymans version that was about half the price.  That would be a nice option for the average user.  
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Larry

We used to have a local guy running a commercial Komo cnc router.  It had a 5' X 10' table.

He could throw a slab on the table and let the router surface while drinking a cup of coffee.  What was really cool is he could also cut the recess for countertop draw bolts if you wanted to book match.  The router could also joint an edge if the slab was meant for a countertop that fit against the wall.  He had reasonable prices but couldn't make money in our area....I suppose not enough population/demand.

I would suspect in larger cities one could find somebody that could do the same thing.

A friend had a real planer.  30" Buss with a 25 HP main motor and 15 HP feed motor.  Still not wide enough even for the little slabs I saw.  Still needed to put the slab on a sled or find a 30" jointer to get it really flat.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!