iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crusarius log arch build

Started by Crusarius, July 29, 2019, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Well, I was going to wait to start this build since I am not sure how much longer it is going to take. August is a very busy month for me. But anyhow, here goes.

Simple plain log arch build. I used entirely reclaimed materials. Of course this makes the build twice as long since i needed to cut the steel apart then clean all the rust off so I can work with it.

The material I used was 2x2.120 wall. for everything except the 2.5x2.5x.188 wall I used for the tongue. The wheels were from an old tow dolly. 

My goal was to keep this as light and functional as possible. In its current configuration I can pick it up off the ground all by myself. The width inside the legs is 42" the height inside is about 50". 

Instead of making one with a fixed tongue I am planning slide in tongue that can be removed. This will give me the ability to chain the arch to the tail of the log and then chain the tongue to the front of the log and have a tree length trailer. This way I can tow any log I can hook to the back of the truck and drag it home. (no idea how legal this is but I am sure one day I will find out)

Ok, enough with the chit chat. heres the pics.

Shop is getting kinda crowded again. May be time for a cleaning. Who am I kidding I can still walk through there :) 

This picture is showing the arch with my sawmill tongue installed. I was just trying to get an idea what the angle would be on the ball if I left it straight. Looks like I will need to make a drop hitch for it.

Well thats as far as I made it. I have about 8 hours invested so far. Would have been less if I had new material. Oh well. It is what it is. So far I am very happy with it. I still need to cut the round stock off the inside of the wheels and figure out the diagonal bracing to the tongue. There are also some over engineering fine details I am still working out in my head. I am sure you will not be disappointed :)

Resonator

QuoteLooks like I will need to make a drop hitch for it.
Or jack up the jeep suspension so the hitch is higher. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crusarius

Not sure I have enough spring in the back to hold a log :) But driving over them... :)

WV Sawmiller

I'm no welder so take anything I say with a grain of sawdust.  ;D

I understand you plan to use this to tow behind your truck to transport logs you obtain in the area. I wonder if it would be wide enough for such road use. If not I am sure your local Smokey or DOT will let you know soon enough. :D I don't know the type and weight of the logs you plan to haul but I'd be concerned whether it is heavy enough for a really big log - I gather the final bracing will fix that. I gather you will install a winch of some type between the uprights to lift the log and a chain or such on the tongue end to hold/stabilize the front end of the log. I don't know how you will brace it but that is an area of concern to me to lift and hold the weight. 

If you also plan to use this for off road use behind an ATV/UTV or tractor or such to pull logs out of the woods I'd be concerned about the weight and stability on steep or rough terrain. My log arch is short and does not have a beam to hold the log off the ground. I lift one end and if/when needed I lift and put a 2 wheel dolly under the other and tow it with an ATV on the principle of an old log or pulpwood truck with a set of detatchable axles on the rear and the load holding everything together. I am working on very steep terrain and often only want one end off the ground as I need to drag for stability. On more level ground I use the dolly if needed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

I think the proportions are going to be pretty close for stability. It is wider than it is tall and the log cannot be hoisted all the way to the top so that will keep it lower. Plus I will have tie points where I can lock the log in position so it does not flop back and forth. I think it will be fine. But only time will tell.

Revival Sawmill

Looking good!  Can't wait to see it hauling a log!

Crusarius

That makes 2 of us. Almost thinking I may work on it a bit tonight. Crap! I need cutoff wheels :(

21incher

2 x 2 with that thin I wall will definitely limit how big a log you can carry.  little obstacles in the woods can apply high twisting forces to the axle area. Plus little side hills really shift the load to the lower side leg. I have seen my 3 x 4 x 1/8" with a 12 gauge caddy corner insert leg flex with a 2000 pound log. Just put a slow moving triangle on it and go slow is what I do .
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Crusarius

Flexing is ok. Buckling is not. It may be thicker than .120 wall but that is what it looked like to me from a distance. We will see how well it will work and last. I still have quite a bit more to do on it. I am definitely not leaving those long legs unsupported.

Tom the Sawyer

With 42" between the legs, it could straddle a really big log... hopefully you'll ignore the temptation.  The tubing may be a bit thin but another concern is the tires.  There will be a maximum load rating on the sidewall, and times 2 should be your absolute limit.  A 36"x10' red oak would be well over 5000 pounds, what could those tires handle?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Crusarius

Those tires are from an old tow truck dolly. I do not know what the rating is on them but it is pretty high. The best thing is the spindles are 5 on 4.5 lug pattern which just happens to be the same as jeep. I happen to have probably 6 different sets of wheels and tires that I could bolt to it. So the tires will not be an issue. 

I figure when I get it built I will mount a camera to the arch looking at one of the legs. Hang a log from it then drag it through the woods and see how bad it flexes. I am not to concerned about it.

I do have a background in structural engineering, some of this is educated guessing :)

Crusarius

So I had a chance to finish this up all except paint. here is what I ended up with. The tongue is serving double duty as my sawmill tongue and log arch tongue.

As I mentioned above I wanted to make the tongue and arch two separate pieces so I can haul a very long log. You can see how they are separate in the image above.

The first test I did was with that log in the driveway. Everything worked great. Took a little bit of time hooking up all the straps and getting everything situated where I was happy. After that was done I was quite pleased.

The next test (see below) ended up being a 25' long log roughly 18" diameter. That one took a little more creative rigging due to the location. I was able to pick it up and move it around very easily. Unfortunately the 25' length does not lead to a very maneuverable log. So, I did what I could and in the end ended up leaving it in the woods. It was rotten anyhow.

During the test above I quickly learned that just using a strap to hold the tongue of the arch was not going to be sufficient when dragging it through the woods. So I ended up welding a V to the front of the arch tongue to center it on the log (see below).

Now, with the V in place When I tighten the come along on the rear it actually locks the log in place and keeps it from rocking when it is being towed.

I also ended up making similar V's for the tongue. I used 2.5" material for the tongue V's so it slides over the 2" tongue. I added set screws to lock them in place. This gives me the ability to place the tongue on top of the log or underneath the log. Also allows me to move them if something is in the way.

I will eventually buy a set of 4 lashing winches and they will be permanently mounted so I can have shorter straps and not have to figure out where to tie up 20' of extra strap.

I added a chain hook on the back so the log can hang from that instead of relying on the comealong to hold it. There are also tie down points on the front of the arch to be able to lock the log from 3 directions to prevent any swaying or movement.

On the final test I took the short log pictured in the first picture for a drive through the woods. I have some pretty rough trails through the pine area of my property that has crazy large exposed roots. It towed like a dream through there. I did not notice any deflection of the legs or movement of anything. Very pleased with this. Next real test is going to be the walnut that fell across my buddies driveway a few miles down the road.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion....

Crusarius

Had a chance to go get a 32' long x 15" diameter black walnut log.

Managed to get up to 45 mph before I decided that was fast enough. it towed amazing going down the road. Definitely would have been much better if the log was straight. The cheap pot metal pulley in the comealong broke into 3 pieces when I was lifting the log. I will machine a new one this week.

Overall, very impressed with the arch. The rigging was a pain with the shape of the log and the location of it. Once I was on the road it towed so nice. Now I can cut the log to the lengths I need at home. I did not need to take the tractor to load it onto my little trailer in pieces.

Jeff

How many camera's did you notice popping out on your way home? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crusarius

I think I only passed 1 car. but I did see him almost snap is neck looking back :)

thecfarm

At least put a red flag on that thing!!!!
That would get my attention too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

Yea. I know I need the flag. I did have the bright yellow (brand new strap) that was flapping around back there.

I did only see 1 car on the road from where I picked the log up to home.

Jeff

To have any chance at all if someone makes a call on seeing that, I'd get a set of portable trailer lights to run to the end of the log. Someone coming up behind you could be doomed. You are effectively partially  camouflaging your vehicle.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

That's a load of liability on the road.  Flag?  Lights?  Inspection?  Registration?  In NC I believe it would be considered a trailer hauling a log that way.

It's one thing off the road but on the road opens a whole can of worms.  I don't think it could be explained successfully should an accident occur.

Your mileage may vary....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Dana Stanley

You could likely register it as a tow dolly for about 50.00 a year. I would put the weight at 2000 or the max your tires hold.

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Thank You Sponsors!