iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame raising event in South NH follow up

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 26, 2017, 03:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

On Saturday the 23rd we had a frame raising in southern NH.

Thanks to all who participated and we had a good time even with some minor set backs.

As I arrived to the site our host was heading out to get some ice for the water in his cooler. He mentioned to me that his dog was out but not to worry as he wouldn't bite me.

Soon after I got out of my car, his dog bit me. As others arrived I warned them to watch out for the dog, who was soon locked into the house.

The frame was 18' wide and 25' long with four bents. I was to be a hand raising with the help of a gin pole that the host had made for my rigging.

Here is a shot of a couple of great helpers with the gin pole on the ground near them:

The bents were assembled on the deck and the first one went up without a hitch:

Next we needed to insert the braces and connecting timbers into bent 1 to join with bent two:

And support them while they hung there waiting to connect to bent 2:

We had to do that on both sides:

Next we raised bent 2 again by hand and it went very smoothly.
Soon afterwards we dropped in some floor joists to hold the two bents together:

Also, we added the next batch of connectors and their braces going from bent 2 to bent 3 a hammer beam bent.

Next we prepared the gin pole for raising bent three:

After the gin pole was raised we tied it off to a distant tree as a safety line:

And after breaking a back line and some other minor problems we had it all set to go:

We soon found out that the gin pole was pulling and not lifting. We used a "genie lift" that a friend had brought to get some elevation to the bent:

This helped us to get the gin pole to lift and very soon the crew had it going up:

After bent three was up and secured to the connecting timbers we again place more connector to go to bent four and hand raised bent four.

When all bents were up and on there location marks we added the top interrupted plate pieces on top of all the posts:

That is where we stopped for the day.
The host's wife had us in for a great pulled pork feed, and cold drinks for all.

It was a long day for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GRANITEstateMP

looks great Jim.  Thanks for the photos and the play by play.  At least you guys had some shade trees on Saturday, it sure was a hot one!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Flathill

Good workout. The hammer beam bent was a real learning experience.
It was a real joy to see the Hammer Beam in place.
Work smart, big timbers are heavy.

Thank You Sponsors!