iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Q on band wheel alignment with Linn Lumber mill

Started by slowzuki, May 27, 2004, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

Hello all,

With a Linn lumber type setup, http://www.linnlumber.com/sawmill_parts.html

Do they use shims under the pillow block bearings to adjust the angle each bandwheel is to the other?

Thanks.
Ken

slowzuki

Just to clarify, the alignment I mean is the tilt, or how far forward the tops of the bandwheels are.

D._Frederick

Slow-,

On my LINN LUMBER mill, the band wheels run in the same plane, so I never needed shims under the bearings. To adjust the distance from the blade to the log rests, I take the roller chain off the lift screws and turn one side or the other until the blade runs parallel to the log rests. Final adjustment can be made with the guides. For tilt or "lead" there is an adjustment were the saw head slides up and down on the carriage verticle 2 X 2 tubing. Four bolts hold the saw frame to the slides, there is a set-screw on each side that adjusts saw frame for head tilt. There are other ways the saw tilt can be adjusted, the saw frame can be shimmed.

Danny_S

That sawhead frame doesnt look like it has any type of adjustment for the wheels does it. ? ?  I would assume it would need to be adjustable to get the blade to ride on the wheels properly. I am sure they have some sort of gadget to adjust it. You could build one I am sure.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

slowzuki

Thanks, they must have a jig for exact alignment or lead between the two bandwheels before welding the sawhead.

QuoteSlow-,

On my LINN LUMBER mill, the band wheels run in the same plane, so I never needed shims under the bearings. To adjust the distance from the blade to the log rests, I take the roller chain off the lift screws and turn one side or the other until the blade runs parallel to the log rests. Final adjustment can be made with the guides. For tilt or "lead" there is an adjustment were the saw head slides up and down on the carriage verticle 2 X 2 tubing. Four bolts hold the saw frame to the slides, there is a set-screw on each side that adjusts saw frame for head tilt. There are other ways the saw tilt can be adjusted, the saw frame can be shimmed.

D._Frederick

Slow-,

The saw frame that the bearings and wheels bolt too is also bolted on to a frame that is also bolted to the slides that adjust (ride up and down), so there is a lot of places to adjust for correct alignment.
The bearings for the band wheels have set-screws that take the force of the band pressure against the ends of the bearing.  THese can be adjusted for the tracking of the blade.

sawinmontana

Our mill is very similar to that one. When we first bought it we were constantly breaking blades. I finally talked to the head saw filer at a big mill in our town. He came out and looked it over and saw that the two band wheels weren't in the same plane. He then made shims out of a pop can and put  under the pillow block bearings and that cured our blade breakage.

So yes you can shim under them.

Scott

slowzuki

Thanks! I was trying to think of what to use for shim stock!
Ken

QuoteOur mill is very similar to that one. When we first bought it we were constantly breaking blades. I finally talked to the head saw filer at a big mill in our town. He came out and looked it over and saw that the two band wheels weren't in the same plane. He then made shims out of a pop can and put  under the pillow block bearings and that cured our blade breakage.

So yes you can shim under them.

Scott

D._Frederick

Slow-,

If you need shims, put them under the drive wheel bearings. Shims  wouldn't work very good on the idler wheel since it moves back and forth to tension the blade.

Thank You Sponsors!