iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw m24 questions (help)

Started by Peder McElroy, March 04, 2010, 03:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder McElroy

I have some more questions.  My splitter is lined up with my saw blade,but seams to be holding the log on the return. I read somewhere that it should be off set a little to the cut off side, is this correct. also I read that the saw blade should be off set front to back about 1/8 inch.Help.
thanks  Peder

coastlogger

Log side of splitter should in theory line up with the side of cant as you are cutting. If it is binding on cant it is prob a bit too far in toward log.. You have a lot of unanswered issues that could contribute to this though. The speed of the saw is crucial and while I do know a fellow who controls by "ear" this is not  the way to go for a beginner.. You need a governer to take that job on. If in fact you are going to use an automatic trans the governor would have to be driven off the mandrel shaft,to negate the slippage issue.If you are not controlling speed accurately the saw will wander and/or dish and cause a bad cut. The resulting cant,because it was not cut where it should be, will most likely hang up on the splitter. Welcome to the world of circular mills.Other factors that can cause binding on splitter are dull saw, saw that needs doctoring, log with internal stresses etc. Dog a plank onto the carriage on the flat, and cut an inch off it,nice and slow. it should just clear the splitter. If it does the splitter is prob in right place and other issues are causing your problem.
There is supposed to be lead in on the blade yes. Cannot remember the spec ,others will have it, it is not much like maybe 1/8"in 10 feet?
clgr
clgr

bandmiller2

Peder, clgr pretty much covered it.Splitter should be flush with the saw on the carriage side it should tend to split the board in back of the saw a  bevel on the board side helps.If the cant catches on the splitter when you gig back something is out of adjustment.There are many things to check on a circle mill and they all affect each outher,such as endplay in the carriage wheels.Lead in a saw can vary usally around 1/16" although some mills need a little more.A reasonable test is have a cant on the carriage,make a cut and note what happens when you gig back.Saw should just tick the cant lightly, if it dosent hit the side of the cant too much lead.If it scores the cant heavily not enough lead. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

captain_crunch

Peder
Try this link
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
There is a lot of stuff to read about circle mills in it. My splitter lines up perfictly with cant side of saw. One issue I had was my blade guide If I don't keep them with in a matchbook clearance funny things happen. This might not be correct way but I have noticed if I run Tractor Pto speed just past where Splitter side of saw has no wobble or weave blade cuts fine. But if it wobbles while sawing I need to slow carrage or speed tractor up a few RPMS
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

apm

With the saw at rest  :D, I put a 6' level across the log side of the saw and adjust the splitter to be flush with it.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Peder McElroy

Thanks to all of you that helped me out so much!!!!!!!!!!
Today I did some adjustments and the mill ran Great.So now I need logs and sunny weather.
Thanks again and I will be glad to be part of this great Forum.  Peder

captain_crunch

Peder
That makes it worth while at least for me to be able to help someone like these guys have for me. Really sets these people ahead in my book. But bet they would enjoy some more pics. I sure would. I have only once been over Continal Divide once and was only 6 at time so don,t know what east half looks like except for the pics and bet they are wondering about West Coast also
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Peder McElroy

Brian, I'll work on getting some Photos of the Coast of Central California and our tall Redwoods. The ones I cut are second growth about 125 feet.
I have not been able to figure out how to shrink my photos,any help on those lines?
Peder

captain_crunch

Peder
I have computer IQ of caveman but here is how I do it. All my pics show up in my pictures
Go to my Pictures on your puter right click on pic, box opens and click on Resize Image, Next box (on mine at least) has options of small,med or Large and hand held Click on Advanced, click on custom and change #,s to 425 X350. Pic  will show up as Image (custom) this is the one you want to upload. Then go to My Gallery then upload and follow their prompts and should work.
If this don't get you there let us know and someone will be glad to help
Brian

Thank You Sponsors!